Post subject: ACU
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 am 
Two-Time All-American

@North Texas 31-51
Arizona Christian 66-14

Post subject: Re: ACU
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:36 pm 
All-Conference

Not a lot to glean from those results. Hanging 31 on a good North Texas squad is impressive although half of those points were garbage time 4th Q. They did have 456 yards of offense (more than either of our games). North Texas got obliterated by a resurgent SMU team who beat stAte the week prior. Lots of if A:B and B:C transitive scenarios to compare that ultimately mean nothing.

UCA's offense is going to have to get going at kickoff and be consistent...coming from behind every game is not a good strategy going forward. I would hope UCA gets their act together up front and doesn't leave our backs out to dry with elementary play calling, but I'm not very optimistic. However, i think we have too much fire power through the air to stay in any game this year (except maybe Hawaii).

I have faith in the D, especially our back end guys, but this may be the best offense the D has faced thus far. I would suspect us using a lot more man to help out in the run game which will leave our CBs and Ss exposed at times. This is going to be a close one, but we're finally home and that should count for something...

UCA 34
ACU 30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:25 pm 
Team Captain

This game comes down to one thing:

Our offensive line.

If we cannot open get a push, open holes for Blackmon and Crossley, and give Breylin another 1-2 seconds, this game might get ugly. The only thing that keeps us around (if not) is our defense.

I thought our O-line would come alive Saturday. I was wrong. I don't want to be wrong this week. Someone lights a fire under their tails, play calling becomes 100x better, and we roll at home.

UCA 38
Palindrome 17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 pm 
Team Captain

I see another defensive battle even with all the accolades of ACU offense up to this point. Protect the football and play good field position and make some big plays down the field. Let’s find a way to win this game. Whatever it takes. Hopefully the excitement of the home crowd will be worth a couple scores. ACU was a huge win for our bears last year in the last game. Hopefully we can do it again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 pm 
Team Captain

I see another defensive battle even with all the accolades of ACU offense up to this point. Protect the football and play good field position and make some big plays down the field. Let’s find a way to win this game. Whatever it takes. Hopefully the excitement of the home crowd will be worth a couple scores. ACU was a huge win for our bears last year in the last game. Hopefully we can do it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:35 am 
Redshirt

ACU fan here.

We have played two games thus far, both mismatches. FBS North Texas was the preseason favorite to win its division in CUSA and NAIA Arizona Christian is an average team from a lower division.UNT was understAndably a heavy favorite to beat us and we were a heavy favorite to beat Arizona Christian.

We think we are better than a year ago when we finished 6-5 but it’s hard to know. Our game this week is the first opportunity we will have to play a team from our level.

We are looking forward to the trip to Conway. Hopefully there will be a big crowd since deer season hasn’t started. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am 
All-Conference

OscarWildeCat wrote:
ACU fan here.

We have played two games thus far, both mismatches. FBS North Texas was the preseason favorite to win its division in CUSA and NAIA Arizona Christian is an average team from a lower division.UNT was understAndably a heavy favorite to beat us and we were a heavy favorite to beat Arizona Christian.

We think we are better than a year ago when we finished 6-5 but it’s hard to know. Our game this week is the first opportunity we will have to play a team from our level.

We are looking forward to the trip to Conway. Hopefully there will be a big crowd since deer season hasn’t started. :)

Haha yep! Deer season hurts Arkansas football overall. We will be glad to have you here in Conway. If I can make a suggestion on food options, Serranos Mexican Grill is great. David's Burger's is also awesome is well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:48 am 
UserName Retired

I'm going to enjoy this one!

ACU is talented. They gave us all we could handle to end last year. Our first two games for each team have been against very different opponents so its hard to figure out how this will go. I THINK we have the upper hand because we have Breylin back and Winningham is doing so well. Plus I believe the other receivers will finally come into play since we have 52 yards rushing all season. Something in that area has to change or we have to change what we do with our RBs or OLINE. UGh. :lol:

Bears 42
Wildcats 35

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:28 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm 
Redshirt

bwbear wrote:

Our offensive line.

If we cannot open get a push, open holes for Blackmon and Crossley, and give Breylin another 1-2 seconds, this game might get ugly. The only thing that keeps us around (if not) is our defense.

I thought our O-line would come alive Saturday. I was wrong. I don't want to be wrong this week. Someone lights a fire under their tails, play calling becomes 100x better, and we roll at home.

UCA 38
Palindrome 17

Palindrome, LoL.

We prefer to Think of our two schools as ACU and dyslexic ACU.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I would fully expect ACU to load the box and shut down the run just as
WKU and AP did. Make the Bears one dimensional and take their chances
on the 50-50 balls. The UCA running game has been strictly zone blocking
straight handoffs between the tackles...maybe by design, but easy to stop
none the less. Bunch of big bodies clogging the los and the RB has no where
to go. Hopefully the Bears will try to get on the edge a little bit. I personally
would like to see the Myers kid get in the mix a little at RB. I have heard so
many good things about him and he looks to have another gear we need to
get past the los...Carlos is a beast and runs as hard as anyone...KC is very
dynamic in space...Here's hoping for a breakout performance by the Bears
in the run game on Saturday...

BPSG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:12 pm 
Team Captain

OscarWildeCat wrote:
bwbear wrote:

Our offensive line.

UCA 38
Palindrome 17

Palindrome, LoL.

We prefer to Think of our two schools as ACU and dyslexic ACU.

Win a conference championship and then you get to choose who is dyslexic. :lol:

(I kid, I kid. If you're coming up, safe travels.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 am 
Redshirt

5 Dimes lists UCA as a 7 1/2 point favorite and an over/under of 60 points. ACU is 2-0 vs the betting line in 2019 (1-1 in actual wins/losses). Should be a very close game if we continue to beat the oddsmakers expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 am 
All-Conference

Really hope this game is close to capacity. I know it will be hot, but please people, show up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:17 am 
UserName Retired

It will be hot, but at least it is a 6 PM kickoff and not 2!! I think we should have a pretty good crowd on hand. The home opener is usually the best-attended game of the year by students (except Homecoming, which doesn't count because they leave at halftime anyway).
Apparently, someone listens somewhere. They have moved the KidsZone out of the endzone and put it over on the practice field! I have reached out on twitter about the "Beyond the Stripes" and have yet to hear anything...