It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hawaii
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:22 am 
All-Conference

Looks like that's all she wrote. Bears fall short 35-16. On to Nicholls.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:39 am 
UserName Retired

Same play calls every game.

It’s old.

Throw the ball UP the field. Innovative I know. Screen passes. Yeah Or let’s run Carlos Brilliant. Wanna beat us? Watch our first four games. Heavy Carlos then Winningham in the fourth. That’s it. We have nothing else. Hawaii didn’t have to do anything after the first quarter. D2 play calling ain’t getting it done. At least Campbell called up field passes. I’m done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 am 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:

It’s old.

Throw the ball UP the field. Innovative I know. Screen passes. Yeah Or let’s run Carlos Brilliant. Wanna beat us? Watch our first four games. Heavy Carlos then Winningham in the fourth. That’s it. We have nothing else. Hawaii didn’t have to do anything after the first quarter. D2 play calling ain’t getting it done. At least Campbell called up field passes. I’m done.

A little dramatic. We’re 3-1 after a hard first four games. Only Washington and uca have held Hawaii to only 4 offensive tds or less. The running game got going finally tonight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 am 
Team Captain

First, I'm glad we got out without a lot of injuries. Hawaii was, as Nathan said, as good and physical of a team we'll face all year. We had our chances, just could not convert.

My breakdown:

Offense

Breylin did look uncomfortable. I'm glad he only got sacked once. Huge credit to our offensive line for that. But, he was rushed a lot. Not a lot of time to set his feet. Guys in his face a lot. Some of his passes were off the mark. Again, I cannot tell if he is throwing the wrong route or the receivers are not running them, but we're still out of synch.

The pick 6 was a bad break. The receiver should have had it, but for it to bounce up perfectly like it did sucked. Take that freak play away and this game is close. That took the wind out of our sails early.

But was anyone else excited like me to see Carlos come alive? That's what we've been missing. I knew the game plan would probably be to try to get him involved more and keep Hawaii's offense off the field. He looked like his vision to cut was much improved, and he was a lot stronger than their LB's and DB's. Hopefully this continues into conference play.

Hawaii's defensive backs were great. They were a step quicker and, even if beat, knew how to defend the pass by breaking it up. Very well coached.

Defense:

UH's QB was good. Quick passes. Their WR's tore us up. Again, they were fast, faster than we are. I hope no one in conference is this good. Fourcade at Nicholls may be the closest we see this his caliber QB all season.

Overall, I thought we did well. We did not get slaughtered. We hung with them. We shut them down for nearly 3 quarters. Take away the first quarter and half where we were still trying to figure them out and it is a different ballgame.

I'm sure games like this are hard to focus. Far away, lots of distractions, 5 time zone difference, etc. I'm not sure how much that contributes to how we looked, but even with that, pleased with how these young men pushed through the game.

BearCountry wrote:

It’s old.

Problem is, it was Nathan making most of those calls, not Campbell. Nathan is not calling many plays. Collums is. I've said it a lot this season: Nathan needs to be a LOT more involved there. When he was calling the plays under Campbell, we were explosive. Dominant on offense.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:16 pm 
Practice Squad

Not enough time to recover from the jet lag! Been to Hawaii seven times, it takes appx 48 hrs or more to you get in sync!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Find it humorous to read comments RE coaching and play calling. Not one of us (Bear fans) would not have taken 3-1 at this point. Hawaii is a pretty decent mid level FBS program with some serious athletes. They would probably be a top 5 FCS program. And there is a talent gap between us and top 5 but we’re making progress.
We are getting there folks: when our OL gets to looking more like NDSU, SDSU, and JMU ( instead of SLC) our “play calling” will start looking a lot better.

It’s a marathon folks, not a sprint.

Enjoy the ride-these next few years have a chance to be special just like our last 2 recruiting classes have been.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:36 pm 
UserName Retired

UH is 2-1 vs PAC-12 which, even with a weak P-12 right now, beats our wins over unranked FBS and FCS teams...hats off to them for not letting LW and other receivers make big plays....glad to see the Bears fought back as they did to make it 28-16....really glad to see us get >100 yards rushing.....I thought we had a reasonable chance at the win but not to be.....not many picked us 3-1 at this point.....Breylin was not sharp tonight and I thought the same vs ACU.....hope just an off streak and not some shoulder thing going on.....the next game is really important...….Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:50 pm 
UserName Retired

Does anyone know where Barnes, Enlow, or Hampton are? It just seems like we are over utilizing one RB to run and catch when we have those talents on the team. I'm not sure if any are injured but it appears we strain to get passes completed on screens and long balls but don't use those talented kids. Why?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

These guys are all WR or slot receivers; probably our deepest position.

Only one ball and we have emerging stars at that position.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:27 am 
UserName Retired

That's true. We do have talent at those positions but none of the three I listed have even caught a pass this year. Maybe they are hurt but man such talents....spread it around! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:08 am 
All-Conference

went back and watched a lot of the game...Breylin really struggled all game. There were several misses on open receivers that could have extended drives. I'm hoping he's not hurt and playing at 70-80%

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:32 am 
Team Captain

huggy_bear wrote:
went back and watched a lot of the game...Breylin really struggled all game. There were several misses on open receivers that could have extended drives. I'm hoping he's not hurt and playing at 70-80%

He may be. There was one shot of him coming to the sidelines where my wife thought he was smiling. I said no, he was cringing like he was in pain.

That shot he took from the APSU corner back worried me a bit with his leg. I'm hoping it is okay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
That's true. We do have talent at those positions but none of the three I listed have even caught a pass this year. Maybe they are hurt but man such talents....spread it around! :lol:

I’ve seen Hampton play, pretty sure this year, and he does appear to have some talent to contribute.

Haven’t seen the other 2 play so I can’t comment on their talent level as compared to others on team. I assume you have seen them play but I know coaches have.

As to spreading ball around 13 different players have caught passes thru 4 games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:55 pm 
UserName Retired

I recall Coach saying on his last week radio show that Hampton was getting over an injury......stats show he has played in all but Western Kentucky game.....

10 different receivers had a catch at Hawaii and 8 vs ACU....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm 
UserName Retired

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next