It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 25% Through The Season - What Do We (Collectively) Know
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:32 pm 
Team Captain

We're three games into a 12 game regular season. I'm excited that we are 3-0. But, we have some serious issues in a lot of areas that we need cleaned up. I expect us to lose this week against a 2-1 Hawaii team. I'm hope that we come back injury free from that game and have a bye week to work on things.

Here's my opinion on where we stand. No filter.

Offense, starting from the top down:

Whatever we're scripting on the first few series is not working. Whatever those 10-12 plays or whatever Ken Collums and team are putting together just is not getting the job done. Instead, we're starting slow, giving the ball right back to our opponent, and hoping that our defense does something spectacular.

Our offensive line needs help. We're missing blocks. We're getting beat. I know these men are young, but they are getting beat too often. Carlos and Kierre have no shot to hit their gaps because the holes are not there. And if I'm any defensive coordinator, I'm dialing up the corner blitz multiple times a game. We're not picking it up. Not from the line, not from anyone in the backfield, not from the QB, anywhere.

I think the RB's are doing okay. Sometimes I feel they miss some opportunities to bounce. or cut back to a secondary hole that has opened, but when you're trying to hit your gap at full speed and it is not there, getting that secondary look isn't always there. If these guys are ever given room to run, look out. We saw a bit of it at times this week against ACU. We don't need them to get 15-20 yards a run (although that would be nice). 4-5 yards at a time, stay ahead of schedule, use the run to open the QB and WR's up.

I think we did find some ability to use the RB's as quick swing passes. I think we need to get the ball to them faster and maybe ahead of the LOS just a bit.

QB and WR's miss some routes. My biggest complaint is the dropped balls. Way too many of them. I get it is Breylin misses the target, throws behind or above, but if he hits you in the number or hands, you've got to catch it.

My questions for the last 75% of the season:

Where's the hurry-up offense that has worked so well?
Will the O-line step up?
Can we start faster, sustain drives, give our defense a chance to rest and make adjustments?

Overall offensive grade: C+

Defense

These guys have played hard these three games. They need to be helped out by the offense a bit. There are only a couple of things that concern me at all, and they were exposed a lot by ACU and some by other teams.

First, I feel we do not have a LB keyed on the RB's. Either we're biting on the play action too much or we are just not watching for them to come out of the backfield. ACU's #21 would roll out, either immediately or slightly delayed, and have 10-15 yards with no one around him. I'd have to confirm this by rewatching games, but it seemed to be a weak side move a lot. They run out routes and pull the CB's and safety's out, roll the RB out, and have a 15+ yard play. We need to keep someone at home watching the RB's.

On a similar note, we were not sealing the edge well at first against ACU. They play would look like a designed run inside, and our LB's would bite. The RB would then bounce outside for a good size chunk. Great adjustments shut that down. We never made the adjustment on the pass route, and it helped ACU get in position to attempt to win the game.

Second, our DB's get beat a bit too much. We seemed to be with them a bit better this week, but we're not breaking up the long pass enough. Give up the PI before you give up a 30-40 yard pass.

Biggest weakness on defense is just form tackling. We're not wrapping up and waiting for help. We're trying to lay licks, but if we don't knock them off their feet, they are getting more yards. Now, we did better last night, so I think we're trending in the right direction. But, still something we can get better at doing.

Defense grade: B

Special Teams

We looked good on kick return this week. Minus the fumble, we put ourselves in good field position a lot.

I'm glad to see the we have great hands on punts. That plagued us a bit last year. Huge credit to those guys and the coaching staff.

The kick OB was not good. Sometimes we need to understand situation and instead of pinning to a corner, we need to kick center field, back of the end zone. Give it to them on the 25 at worst.

ST Grade: A-.

Intangibles

We have it. We finish stronger than any team in the nation. We don't give up. I was so impressed with these men last night. Tying it up, going down 6, and not giving up. As I said in the ACU post, there is no quit in this team. Zero. You can tell they want it more. They are just showing it a bit late.

I was joking with my wife: Nathan Brown calls this team "resilient." I hope we make the shift to dominant soon!

Grade: A+

Overall grade: B. I think if we don't improve some basics, some teams in the SLC are going to expose us. But this team is fun to watch. Great defense. Super athletic receivers and great QB play. They are fun to watch. It is a great product being put on the field despite the things that need to be cleaned up. I know I probably seem bearish on this team, but I believe these guys are just getting going, and they'll start clicking soon.

Go Bears! Beat UH!

Post subject: Re: 25% Through The Season - What Do We (Collectively) Know
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 am 
All-Conference

bwbear wrote:
We're three games into a 12 game regular season. I'm excited that we are 3-0. But, we have some serious issues in a lot of areas that we need cleaned up. I expect us to lose this week against a 2-1 Hawaii team. I'm hope that we come back injury free from that game and have a bye week to work on things.

Here's my opinion on where we stand. No filter.

Offense, starting from the top down:

Whatever we're scripting on the first few series is not working. Whatever those 10-12 plays or whatever Ken Collums and team are putting together just is not getting the job done. Instead, we're starting slow, giving the ball right back to our opponent, and hoping that our defense does something spectacular.

Our offensive line needs help. We're missing blocks. We're getting beat. I know these men are young, but they are getting beat too often. Carlos and Kierre have no shot to hit their gaps because the holes are not there. And if I'm any defensive coordinator, I'm dialing up the corner blitz multiple times a game. We're not picking it up. Not from the line, not from anyone in the backfield, not from the QB, anywhere.

I think the RB's are doing okay. Sometimes I feel they miss some opportunities to bounce. or cut back to a secondary hole that has opened, but when you're trying to hit your gap at full speed and it is not there, getting that secondary look isn't always there. If these guys are ever given room to run, look out. We saw a bit of it at times this week against ACU. We don't need them to get 15-20 yards a run (although that would be nice). 4-5 yards at a time, stay ahead of schedule, use the run to open the QB and WR's up.

I think we did find some ability to use the RB's as quick swing passes. I think we need to get the ball to them faster and maybe ahead of the LOS just a bit.

QB and WR's miss some routes. My biggest complaint is the dropped balls. Way too many of them. I get it is Breylin misses the target, throws behind or above, but if he hits you in the number or hands, you've got to catch it.

My questions for the last 75% of the season:

Where's the hurry-up offense that has worked so well?
Will the O-line step up?
Can we start faster, sustain drives, give our defense a chance to rest and make adjustments?

Overall offensive grade: C+

Defense

These guys have played hard these three games. They need to be helped out by the offense a bit. There are only a couple of things that concern me at all, and they were exposed a lot by ACU and some by other teams.

First, I feel we do not have a LB keyed on the RB's. Either we're biting on the play action too much or we are just not watching for them to come out of the backfield. ACU's #21 would roll out, either immediately or slightly delayed, and have 10-15 yards with no one around him. I'd have to confirm this by rewatching games, but it seemed to be a weak side move a lot. They run out routes and pull the CB's and safety's out, roll the RB out, and have a 15+ yard play. We need to keep someone at home watching the RB's.

On a similar note, we were not sealing the edge well at first against ACU. They play would look like a designed run inside, and our LB's would bite. The RB would then bounce outside for a good size chunk. Great adjustments shut that down. We never made the adjustment on the pass route, and it helped ACU get in position to attempt to win the game.

Second, our DB's get beat a bit too much. We seemed to be with them a bit better this week, but we're not breaking up the long pass enough. Give up the PI before you give up a 30-40 yard pass.

Biggest weakness on defense is just form tackling. We're not wrapping up and waiting for help. We're trying to lay licks, but if we don't knock them off their feet, they are getting more yards. Now, we did better last night, so I think we're trending in the right direction. But, still something we can get better at doing.

Defense grade: B

Special Teams

We looked good on kick return this week. Minus the fumble, we put ourselves in good field position a lot.

I'm glad to see the we have great hands on punts. That plagued us a bit last year. Huge credit to those guys and the coaching staff.

The kick OB was not good. Sometimes we need to understand situation and instead of pinning to a corner, we need to kick center field, back of the end zone. Give it to them on the 25 at worst.

ST Grade: A-.

Intangibles

We have it. We finish stronger than any team in the nation. We don't give up. I was so impressed with these men last night. Tying it up, going down 6, and not giving up. As I said in the ACU post, there is no quit in this team. Zero. You can tell they want it more. They are just showing it a bit late.

I was joking with my wife: Nathan Brown calls this team "resilient." I hope we make the shift to dominant soon!

Grade: A+

Overall grade: B. I think if we don't improve some basics, some teams in the SLC are going to expose us. But this team is fun to watch. Great defense. Super athletic receivers and great QB play. They are fun to watch. It is a great product being put on the field despite the things that need to be cleaned up. I know I probably seem bearish on this team, but I believe these guys are just getting going, and they'll start clicking soon.

Go Bears! Beat UH!

Would it be crazy to say that the running game and O-Line earn a solid C?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:34 am 
Practice Squad

Giving offense a C? The offense scored the points in the 4th quarter of the last 3 games which won the the games! Thanks to the defense who stopped the opponents! I give the offense and defense A-. We have not been 3-0 since 2010, perfect!

I believe we will iron out what mistakes were made as the season progresses. We have a great team and will only get better. Nathan Brown is a great coach, he knows what it takes to win! Mainly, because he played the game.Hopefully the O- line will open up more holes for the recievers and protect Breylin to give more time to pass. The defense is doing an awesome job!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 am 
All-Conference

Here is my two cents worth. When smith would do a swing pass, that would cause the opponents LB's to not stuff the box as much. That's what Jim Plunket did to Arkansas to beat them. I hope to see Smith do that more to open up holes for our RB's. The defense needs to wrap up on tackling. I am still proud of our Bears. They did not quit when they're behind on the scoreboard. I am sure they will do better as the season progresses. BTW I hope someone can do something about the PA system. We could not understand anything the announcer was saying.

Go Bears Go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 am 
Team Captain

Ma Bear wrote:
Giving offense a C? The offense scored the points in the 4th quarter of the last 3 games which won the the games! Thanks to the defense who stopped the opponents! I give the offense and defense A-. We have not been 3-0 since 2010, perfect!

I believe we will iron out what mistakes were made as the season progresses. We have a great team and will only get better. Nathan Brown is a great coach, he knows what it takes to win! Mainly, because he played the game.Hopefully the O- line will open up more holes for the recievers and protect Breylin to give more time to pass. The defense is doing an awesome job!!!

The 4th quarter stats are crazy, yes. I think it is something like 54-13 we've outscored our opponents, and all 13 were ACU. That's where the A+ intangibles grade comes in: Our young men do not quit.

But, what about the other three quarters?

I guarantee that if you were to ask the coaches the same thing, they are probably going to echo what a lot of UCA fans are saying: We have to get better upfront, we have to get our running game going, protect Breylin more, and when we do that (not if....when), things will get rolling. My grade is really based purely on our offensive line and running game struggles. We are being forced to be one-dimensional (even Nathan said it in his post game interview, we are being taken out of our game plan). When our O-line starts winning up front, our offense will look different.

Not being negative, but trying to be objective and not results oriented. It is still early in the season, and our bye week falls at the perfect time to get our men healthy and ready to run through the SLC gauntlet.

The blindside hit to Breylin last week was brutal. It was borderline roughing (any hit at the knees or lower is a 15 yard penalty, and I think the hit was not even mid thigh high). Breylin looked good, still looked pretty mobile. I noticed that he did not slide feet first, and being a bit cautious may explain that.

This team is still young. I think we'll compete for the conference title, if not win it outright. But looking at the youth of our roster and how well we're playing as a whole, next year stands to be even better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:39 am 
All-Conference

O-Line (D+): Has to get better. Protection breakdowns and bad run blocking. We are beating teams in the 4th with quick throws to tired secondaries.

WRs (B): LW and Hudson have big play ability. LW leads the nation, or at least almost does, in receiving yards. Outside of these two, not a lot to speak on. Got eliminate easy drops.

RBs (B-): Hard to grade when you have down lineman in your face as you get the ball. Only 1 fumble thru 3 games is excellent and they've done a great job as check down and flat receivers.

QB (A-): Breylin's a stud, but he really struggled thru 3 quarters vs. ACU. Maybe he wasn't 100%...nonetheless, I probably give him a solid A if you eliminate those quarters. A++ in the 4th quarters of every game

Offense Overall: C

D-Line (B): Nothing spectacular but we have obvious depth in the rotation that shows up in the 2nd halves. As the game wears on, these guys get better. Not many sacks, but not giving up much in rushing relative to how much they are on the field

LBs (B-): Young, young and young. Losing outside containment at times, but doing will with second level blockers on inside runs. Pass D needs to improve.

Secondary (B-): Thought they had a fantastic game against WKU and APSU, but got burnt and forgot to tackle against ACU. Juan's targeting call will affect us at Hawaii

Defense Overall: B

Special Teams (A-): probably has been the difference in every game. We've had 2 fumbles, but have yet to miss a FG/XP, kickoffs have been simply excellent and we've done well at times with returns. Positives far outweigh the negatives thus far. Huge improvement from last year.

To be 3-0 is simply amazing. Knowing our best football is ahead of us is very exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

In my humble opinion and from what I know first hand as a player is this:

We were always taught in the game of football, the low man wins.
Especially at the line of scrimmage. The Bear O-line are in an upright
position on every play, so they are already at a huge disadvantage at
the snap of the ball. The D-line has their hand in the dirt which = being
lower than the guy they are trying to beat. While this stance gives the
O-line the ability to react quicker on passing situations, it does little to
help the run game. It's not easy to get leverage or push if you will at
the line of scrimmage. The best you can hope for is to turn the defender
one way or the other, and if the opposing team is stacking the box its
dang near impossible.

Carlos had only 14 rushing yards on the night vs. ACU, but he had over
80 yards on 12 receptions which to me is just as good.

I think a change in blocking scheme might help some, like pulling lineman
and misdirection.

The bottom line is UCA has 99 net rushing yards after 3 games and that
trend won't hold up at the end of the day. I'm sure the coaches are very
aware of this and are working to resolve the issue.

Defense is getting it done.
#3, #5 , #23 and #88 are doing the same on offense.
Special teams are solid so far. #28 is special and so is the kicker.

BPSG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 pm 
UserName Retired

A lot of good analysis...….maybe grades out overall a B-....and we are 3-0....a lot of teams would love to be 3-0 and not play well...………

Amen.....

"I think a change in blocking scheme might help some, like pulling lineman
and misdirection."

If you do not use effective misdirection plays the defense just tees you up....keep them guessing and they lose a step that is about all that Carlos or Kierre needs........Ken Hatfield used to run so much misdirection it almost became the expected and lost its lustre.....I think I saw Marshall Foreman run at last 15 inside counters one game and maybe got 150 yards rushing...…then there is the old throwback to FB Nick Cowger who had released off his block....was about 30 yards from the nearest defender....point is to keep the D off balance......we have been pretty predictable to a D1 level defense...as I recall we ran a reverse on the 2 point conversion play and caught their DE and OLB totally off guard...

APU and ACU were pretty stout defenses and hopefully we learned what we have to now do to be successful..

As has been said over and over, this team just does not give up....Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 pm 
Team Captain

I listened to Nathan's interviews on 103.7 and from the Hawaii ESPN station. You could tell from his comments that there is some urgency around getting the run game going but not panic. He knows it has to improve or we'll get exposed, but he did not sound distraught about it. Instead, he knew the strength of this team will outweigh the obvious weakness.

One thing I did observe from this game: While technically a "pass" play our RB's (Carlos especially) had some success in these check down passes. To me, these are as good as a run. Most times the RB would get the ball from behind the LOS but still get positive yardage. These types of plays skew our stats a bit against the run, but they are effectively running plays.

FOOT84 makes a great point and something to watch more. If we're trying to disguise the run by setting up in pass block stances, we may be setting up for trouble from there. I will definitely be watching for that more this week.

But, the coaches know, the fans know, that our running game better come alive soon. Coming back from Hawaii we have a tough test at Nicholls. We need to be able to control the clock when we need to via the ground game.