It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Nicholls State
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 pm 
Team Captain

Confession: I did not see much of the game. My kid had a golf tournament, so I was relegated to listening to most of it. We were playing so poorly in the first half that I quit listening for a while. I got sick of hearing of the ineptness of our offense, our inability to stop anything defensively, how their receivers were beating ours, etc.

I did get to watch some of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter.

I'm fully (even more than before) in the fire Ken Collums camp.

Everyone knows that our first X amount of offensive plays are scripted. It happens for every team. The coaches study the game film and pick the plays they feel are going to work. Guess what? They have not worked at all this year. Or the year before. Who is in charge of that? The offensive coordinator. Our offense is not getting better. Our QB is not getting better. He's in charge of both of those things. Time to cut loses, let Nathan step in, and decide at the end of this year if we need someone new or let Nathan do both jobs.

While we're evaluating coaches, our O-line coach needs to be on a short leash as well. Last year I understood why we struggled: We were younger, we had a lot of injuries, and we struggled. Here we are, year two of this system, and we're not getting better. No holes opened for the RB's. No protection for Breylin. No improvement. In fact, I think we may be worse this year than last. Why?

This HAS to be fixed for us to have a shot at the playoffs. Period.

On defense, why are we still letting QB's run wild on broken pass plays? Do we not believe in having a contain guy? We're not schemed well for a running QB and we do not seem to be making those adjustments.

Bottom line is, we're getting whipped up front and everywhere else. We are not focused. We were not prepared for today. The schedule does not get easier for a while. We're not improving. It's time to get things moving in the right direction, and getting our offense under better leadership will help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:50 pm 
Practice Squad

How can you say our quarterback is not getting better? He had a 74 % completion rate in this game alone! He was responsible for over half of the yardage! His overall completion is over 66% which is much better than the next qb in line who finished
last year season with a completion rate in the 40s. Breylin was sacked 4 times in this game. The O- line is not doing their job plain and simple!!!! If anyone to blame, blame the play calling from the side line. Evidently you haven't checked Breylin's stats in the last 5 games. The passing from Breylin accounts for 75% of the Bears yardage in last 5 games! Give me a break!!! We come out running every game with little or no yardage. We get behind then play catch up same everytime!! Like I said before it is the play calling!

Last edited by Ma Bear on Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:17 am 
Practice Squad

UCA total yardage for 5 games 1796 ...rushing 455 ...passing 1341...the passing games is responsible for the wins..and it is keeping us alive. 75% of our scoring is from passing..I would say Breylin Smith is doing a heck of a job considering he has to run for his life every game due to lack poor blocking from the offensive line..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:52 am 
Team Captain

Ma Bear wrote:
How can you say our quarterback is not getting better? He had a 74 % completion rate in this game alone! He was responsible for over half of the yardage! His overall completion is over 66% which is much better than the next qb in line who finished
last year season with a completion rate in the 40s. Breylin was sacked 4 times in this game. The O- line is not doing their job plain and simple!!!! If anyone to blame, blame the play calling from the side line. Evidently you haven't checked Breylin's stats in the last 5 games. The passing from Breylin accounts for 75% of the Bears yardage in last 5 games! Give me a break!!! We come out running every game with little or no yardage. We get behind then play catch up same everytime!! Like I said before it is the play calling!

Ma, don't misinterpret what I'm saying. When I say the QB play is not improving is not to say Breylin is playing bad. Overall, he's not. He's being forced into making a few bad throws or having to dump it off at the LOS, but like you said, that is the line's fault, not his.

But, if you want to point to stats, we had under 200 yards passing yesterday, even with a 75% completion rate. Why? Not Breylin's fault, he's running the plays that are called and dealing with defensive players in the backfield too often.

I think you and I are really pointing to the same two issues:

1. Play calling. It's not good. Too predictable. We try to fire up our passing offense only after we're down.

and

2. O-line is not protecting Breylin and opening up holes for the RB's.

Where the QB playing is not improving are in the things the coaches need to take responsibility for: Play calling. Setting up plays to where Breylin does not have to be a pocket passer. Getting more plays downfield (I'm talking 8-12 yard routes here). Better progressions. This is all where our OC/QB coach (same person, in this case) has to help Breylin out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:48 pm 
Practice Squad

bwbear I agree! Glad you made it clear!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 am 
Two-Time All-American

You're never as good as you think you are.
You're never as bad as you think you are.
The truth is somewhere in the middle.

The Bears had a horrible day at the office on Saturday...
But they get to go to work again this week...

BPSG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:09 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Points to remember:

This is Nathan’s (and staff) 2Nd year.

We’re 3/2 with 4 road games against pretty goid compitition.

Nicholls staff is in their 5th year. They have done a great job recruiting and coaching. They have the most dynamic offensive player in SLC in #9.

They have better players than us up front.

OL is killing us and it is not going to get fixed overnight.

Coaches know all this and more than we do!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm 
All-Conference

Item of interest, we at central Arkansas has locker room for the visiting team. Not tents

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:40 pm 
All-Conference

Papabear wrote:
Item of interest, we at central Arkansas has locker room for the visiting team. Not tents

Who has tents in 2019?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 pm 
UserName Retired

https://twitter.com/rjhawk/status/11805 ... 21923?s=21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 pm 
Redshirt

UCABEARS75

True on OL. And we could be 0-5 easily too. Lucky to be 3-2. They need to make some changes and off definitely needs a spark. WR, RB, OL, mix it up. There are guys sitting that are capable! I’ve seen in scrimmages guys making plays that have never even seen the field. And guys that never make plays that play a lot. Doesn’t make
Sense to me. A little healthy competition needs to happen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:45 pm 
All-Conference

UCABEARS75 wrote:
Points to remember:

Nicholls staff is in their 5th year. They have done a great job recruiting and coaching. They have the most dynamic offensive player in SLC in #9.

I don’t have any confidence in Ken Collums ability to lead the offense

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:57 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm 
All-Conference

I kinda wish they would change the name of Bear Backers. A lot of us are Bear Backers. We attend games, buy swag, talk about the team, encourage the players. Our churches back the bears, and support the students. We just aren't "boosters". Thanks Josh for posting the weekly video.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

huggy_bear wrote:
UCABEARS75 wrote:
Points to remember:

I don’t have any confidence in Ken Collums ability to lead the offense

LMFO; yeah we got that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6