It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicholls State
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:36 am 
All-Conference

Well we have a bye week and then it's on to NSU. Not going to be an easy game. But should be another good test. I think we will be fine getting a rest on a bye week. Hope the players bring the swagger.

Post subject: Re: Nicholls State
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:12 am 
Starter

https://twitter.com/rjhawk/status/1175847971579035648?s=21

Props to RJ for spreading the good news that is UCA football. I got a kick out of this tweet, and reading some of the Hog fans replies :lol:

Anyways, onto Nicholls:

October 5, 2019
3:00pm
Manning Field at John L Guidry Stadium
Thibodaux, LA
TV: ESPN+, Radio: 94.1, 91.3

Last game against NSU, a win in Conway:
November 12, 2016: W 31-24

Nicholls’ record so far: 2-1

@Kansas State: L 49-14
@Prairie View A&M: W 42-35
@SFA: W 48-30
@Texas State: 9/28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:14 am 
Team Captain

TAW22 wrote:

Props to RJ for spreading the good news that is UCA football. I got a kick out of this tweet, and reading some of the Hog fans replies :lol:

One anonymous Hog fan said it was not a good look for RJ. I reminded that fan that the team from the hill is probably the third best team in the state right now (and that may be a bit generous).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 am 
All-Conference

bwbear wrote:
TAW22 wrote:

One anonymous Hog fan said it was not a good look for RJ. I reminded that fan that the team from the hill is probably the third best team in the state right now (and that may be a bit generous).

I don't always agree with RJ, but props to him for doing that. Also, I am so glad I married into the UCA Bear family. It's great to have a team be pretty good at Football as of lately. I am still a Hog Fan through and through, but I get to follow a team at the D1 level, D1 FCS, and D2 level. It keeps me busy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 pm 
UserName Retired

RJ hit a real nerve …...if WKU were to somehow win that would be really painful for my friends on the hill...…...not likely but with a team in disarray anything can happen...….Sagarin has WKU only a 10 point underdog......I am far more interested in Bears getting a win at Nicholls…..

Colonels loss at K-State is understandable....we have literally been in that spot....win over SFA expected but they gave up 30...….the narrow win over PVA&M is puzzling... plus they gave up 35....Sagarin shows Nicholls would be 18-20 points favorite over PV....

Last edited by JRK on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 pm 
Team Captain

JRK wrote:
RJ hit a real nerve …...if WKU were to somehow win that would be really painful for my friends on the hill...…...not likely but with a team in disarray anything can happen...….Sagarin has WKU only a 4 point underdog......I am far more interested in Bears getting a win at Nicholls…..

My wife and I were talking, and this is the good ole' transitive property: If a>b and b>c, then a>c.

But agree more with the last statement, it's time to focus on conference play and Nicholls.

I think the UH showed us what is possible when teams decide to not stack the box: Carlos runs wild. Our O-line took advantage of it, he had more space to make things happen, and had a great day.

If we can get a consistent rhythm early with the passing game and force Nicholls to play more coverage, that's going to open up #23 to have another great day. We need Breylin and the receivers to start out on the same page. Know the routes, read the coverage, and force them to back off the line a bit. Then when they do, run it down their throats.

Nicholls gave up a decent amount of points to SFA and did not pull away until the end. We need a quick start, not a slow start. We cannot afford to have our first offensive possession be 3-6 plays and punt. We need to control the line, drive the field, and if we are really moving away from the hurry up offense, burn some clock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:15 am 
All-Conference

Right now I think we will lose to Nicholls by 7 or 10. It's on the road, and they are playing very good ball. I think it will be close. I think the biggest thing is will our Offense get going out of the gate, or bigger question, our run game. I like how we have a bye week to recover/prep for Nicholls. I think this would be a perfect situation of course if we could play at home instead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:29 am 
Two-Time All-American

RJ is a UCA grad and unlike other alums has chosen
to support his alma mater instead of another school.
It seems to me that his comments were more in support
of the Bears, than an indictment of the other guys.

=D>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:27 am 
UserName Retired

I've known RJ since his days on KUCA. He's a big supporter of the Bears but also likes to tell people there's more schools they can support in this state than a certain NWA school. That usually offends the insecure pig fans. Oh well. Sorry the truth offends them but other people can support Harding, Henderson State etc....if they want to... :lol:

Onto Nicholls.....and victory! =D>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:17 am 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
I've known RJ since his days on KUCA. He's a big supporter of the Bears but also likes to tell people there's more schools they can support in this state than a certain NWA school. That usually offends the insecure pig fans. Oh well. Sorry the truth offends them but other people can support Harding, Henderson State etc....if they want to... :lol:

To be honest in the future, you are going to see the fan-bases grow for D2 schools and UCA/ASU. Much faster than Razorbacks. So many Razorback fans have not attended the University or have family that have. Since we don't have a pro team, this is the only thing that we can support. Some people call these fans Walmart T-Shirt fans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:49 am 
UserName Retired

Mulerider wrote:
To be honest in the future, you are going to see the fan-bases grow for D2 schools and UCA/ASU. Much faster than Razorbacks. So many Razorback fans have not attended the University or have family that have. Since we don't have a pro team, this is the only thing that we can support. Some people call these fans Walmart T-Shirt fans.

ASU has made strides with all the bowl games they've played in or won. D2 teams are winning and being nationally ranked. Football is good in Arkansas. I enjoy the high school level too. Don't watch uaf games. Just laugh at all the yearly hype that turns into nothing and wait for next year! :lol:

#endofhijackedthread

#focusdanielson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:15 pm 
Starter

Mulerider wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

Agreed. I fell into that trap for many years myself before I attended college at UCA and realized what a solid, consistently successful football program is in Conway.

I’d venture to say the vast majority of football fans in the state are Walmart t-shirt hog fans. Didn’t go to school there, but they just root for the hogs because that’s what you’re supposed to do from an early age in Arkansas. I foresee more and more realizing that it’s ‘ok’ to not be a hog fan, and support your own school, whether that be UCA, stAte, or whatever.

Anyways, didn’t mean to hijack this thread, just thought RJ’s tweet was interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:43 pm 
Team Captain

TAW22 wrote:
Mulerider wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

Agreed. I fell into that trap for many years myself before I attended college at UCA and realized what a solid, consistently successful football program is in Conway.

I’d venture to say the vast majority of football fans in the state are Walmart t-shirt hog fans. Didn’t go to school there, but they just root for the hogs because that’s what you’re supposed to do from an early age in Arkansas. I foresee more and more realizing that it’s ‘ok’ to not be a hog fan, and support your own school, whether that be UCA, stAte, or whatever.

Anyways, didn’t mean to hijack this thread, just thought RJ’s tweet was interesting!

I mean, I get it. It's a bigger stage. SEC, 70,000+ people, national attention, easier to follow recruiting. But does all the flash, money/facilities and hype matter if your product sucks?

I know plenty of UCA alums who support both but they've gotten really frustrated with all the losing in football lately and are moving their support to the Bears instead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:53 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
RJ is a UCA grad and unlike other alums has chosen
to support his alma mater instead of another school.
It seems to me that his comments were more in support
of the Bears, than an indictment of the other guys.

=D>

Agree, and the response was predictable. However, i thought there more supportive than condescending responses.

I hope all AR schools preform well, and that includes the Razorbacks. I don't like seeing any of our universities bottom-dwell.

That being said, some hog fans are ignorant and there's really nothing you can do to change that. Typically, fans of ASU, UCA and the D2 schools are graduates of those schools which means they are probably a bit more educated and enlightened than your typical hog fan. For example, go to a razorback game or tailgate vs. another instate school's...you'll quickly see there is a difference in the fans.

Onto Nichols...I think this is a great spot for the bears. We needed to take one on the chin. Nichols travels to FBS Texas St. (8 hours away) this week which could mean they get a little beat up before our match up with them. Added with the fact that we get two weeks to heal and prepare, I would predict the bears are very ready to go in 2 Saturdays.

My prediction now is UCA 38 - Nichols - 28. This may change as new info comes to light, but i think last week couldn't have gone any better for the bears (other than the outcome obviously)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:14 pm 
Team Captain

huggy_bear wrote:

Agree, and the response was predictable. However, i thought there more supportive than condescending responses.

I hope all AR schools preform well, and that includes the Razorbacks. I don't like seeing any of our universities bottom-dwell.

This is me.

Do I watch UofA play? As long as UCA is not playing at the same time, yes.

Do I want them to win? Yes.

But do I support them with my money/time to go physically to a game? No. Not unless someone gives me a ticket and UCA is not playing.

I want our in-state schools to do well. I choose to devote my time and attention to the Bears though. This is where I went to school. This is where my wife went to school (twice). This is who we support.

I have friends who went to UCA who all they can talk about is the Hogs. Why? Why not support the school you attended instead of the school that has better media attention? Why not attend more games, which helps our student athletes? Why not donate? Why not show your kids that you are proud of where you attended and support that instead of "the major state university"? I have other friends that did not go to UCA, nor Fayetteville, but still only pay attention to the Hogs. Why?

Support your alma mater, folks. It is important.

Back to Nicholls...