It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pepsi Center
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:37 pm 
Practice Squad

Anyone else besides me think it looks, uh, how can I put this nicely, like crap? But I guess if it helps us win, who cares. I doubt Win would approve of the look though.

And is it true there are no bathrooms inside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:59 pm 
Practice Squad

it is ugly, and it doesn't have bathrooms...

i'm not sure why it needs bathrooms right now... it's an indoor practice facility... i mean, if a football player has to do his business, he'd have to run back to the locker room before the thing was built, and no he'll still have to do that...

but they are going to add the athletic department offices to the front of the thing eventually, and i'll bet there will be some toilets then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:36 am 
Two-Time All-American

yeah I don't get the big to-do over the bathrooms. Whoopdeedamndo. Stick a port-a-potty just outside the door and be done with it. You should practice without going anyway, just to simulate a game. It's not very often you see a player just take off to go to the can mid-game.

And yes, that exterior is hideous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:02 am 
All-American

The rest rooms are one thing, heck, it doesn't even have running water in the building.

Burly Bear :roll:

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:04 am 
Two-Time All-American

It definatly looks like they took the cheap way out on this one! It's just not what I thought it would be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:35 am 
UserName Retired

But don't you guys think it will serve it's purpose well? They can always come back and redo the exterior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:46 am 
Two-Time All-American

The inside is nice and will serve its purpose well ... but it's easier to do the thing right the first time and not have to re-visit it later when you may have a half-dozen other projects that need work first. It's easy to say "Well it's okay for now, we'll get around to it." And then repeat that same line 15 times over the next 10 years.

If functionality is the only thing that's important why don't we just throw up tin sheds for any new academic building? As long as it's got electricity, plumbing, heat and air it should be good to go, right?

Forget this nice-looking newfangled "brick" stuff. Just give me aluminum siding, baby.

UCA - The University of Corrugated Aluminum

Has a nice ring, eh?

UpandIn913 wrote:
it definatly looks like they took the cheap way out on this one! It's just not what I thought it would be

It's nothing like the first couple architectural drafts looked, either. You'll never get anybody at the university to admit it, but there's no way they can be happy with the look of that.

Were it not for this D-I move, I'd suspect they'd find a way to get the thing bricked. But, they've got more important stuff to be doing with the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:45 pm 
Practice Squad

I haven't seen the inside of it yet, but I do think the outside is really ugly. I'm sure it will serve its purpose for now, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb...especially when compared with the rest of campus and how nice it is looking lately. The siding is really ugly, not to mention that it is actually Pepsi colors!! I mean, where to red and blue fit in with UCA Athletics? Also, I don't think it has UCA Athletics or a Bear paw or anything of the sort anywhere on the building. It does, however, have a huge "Pepsi America" written across the broad side of the thing! Why couldn't they have at least gone with gray and purple siding and then the little Pepsi emblem?? It's a really really bad design, but I guess when someone else is paying...you have to follow the line of beggars can't be choosers!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:51 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

your last line said it all, if they are paying, we get what they want us to get as far as signage and such goes. Other than that is does stick out a bit as far as the rest of the campus design. Maybe that will change one of these days and we can correct that, but I doubt it in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It's poorly designed from an architectural standpoint, as there has already been problems with the way water drains from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:03 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

this project had stunk of a hastily planned scheme to get something up and visible to attract student athletes.

So now that it is up how many have committed or signed with UCA because it is up and have creditied the Pepsi Center with helping attract them to UCA? Football or other wise.

Isn't that why it was built? Partly to bring in student athletes as an advantage in facilities over other D2 schools who don't have this? Or am I way off base? And now that we are on the verge of a move upward, how will it stack up against D1AA faciliites? Did they take that into account, I sure hope they did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:22 pm 
Two-Time All-American

"Once this thing is completed, I don't know how we will lose a recruit considering our location, the academic reputation of our university and the facilities we have."

Clint Conque in the Log Cabin Democrat on August 12, 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:27 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I was hoping someone would provide some quotes or example for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:01 pm 
All-American

treyuca wrote:
But don't you guys think it will serve it's purpose well? They can always come back and redo the exterior.

I suppose it will serve it's purppose, but I really think they screwed up big time by not putting water in the that facility.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Having running water in there would only greatly add to the cost ... just imagine if they'd have skimmed that off the cost of the exterior. Scary thought.

I don't see a pressing need for water in there right now, since there's just practice going on. The athletic training staff is always there with the same water jugs they use during the games, so the athletes don't go without drink.