It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodbye I-AA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:17 pm 
Practice Squad

THANK GOD...

Division I Board of Directors Results: Goodbye I-AA

The NCAA News

The Division I Board has approved new labels for Division I. The presidents approved a change in terminology to “Football Bowl Subdivision” for the former I-A classification and “NCAA Football Championship Subdivision” for the former I-AA group. The Collegiate Commissioners Association helped develop the new labels.

The presidents believe the new nomenclature, which becomes effective in December, more accurately distinguishes Division I institutions for purposes of governing football, the only sport for which such a distinction is necessary. Members felt the old nomenclature inaccurately tiered Division I institutions in all sports, not just football, and produced instances in which media outlets and other entities incorrectly cited institutions as being Division I-AA in basketball or baseball, for example.

“All Division I institutions, regardless of whether they sponsor football, are in fact and should be referred to as Division I members,” said Board Chair and University of Connecticut President Philip Austin. “The only reasons for labeling are the need to distinguish the two football subdivisions for the purpose of governing the sport and to maintain separate statistics. The Board is stressing that the nomenclature reflect the totality of the Division I membership whenever possible and that the subdivision labels be used sparingly. Still, there are instances in which we need to use them, and we feel the new labels are more accurate.”

The new nomenclature does not effect the voting structure used in Division I governance matters.

So now its CS vs BS... (;

The decision to allow a 12th game was put off again until October...

Image76, 79, 80, 91, 93, 95, 97, 01, 02, 03, 06, 07...

Current SLC schools only have 12 SLC Championships COMBINED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:02 am 
UserName Retired

That is cool! I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:19 am 
Two-Time All-American

Great. Now classifications of college football sound like housing developments.

If they were going to jack around with the nomenclature, I much preferred the simpler Playoff Division and Bowl Division, not all these other words thrown in like "Football" and "Sub". Seems a bit unnecessary.

Of course, I thought it was unnecessary to split from I-A/I-AA since there's a difference in the two, but I guess the littler guys were getting too much of an inferiority complex.

I just wonder what the accepted abbreviations are going to be now. I-A and I-AA are short and simple. Will we now have FBS and NFCS? I can't wait to watch some NFCS BCS on ABC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:56 am 
Starter

Quote:
I just wonder what the accepted abbreviations are going to be now. I-A and I-AA are short and simple. Will we now have FBS and NFCS? I can't wait to watch some NFCS BCS on ABC.

I like CS and BS. Especially BS for the Bowl Subdivision. :D

Doc

Post subject: Re: Goodbye I-AA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:58 pm 
UserName Retired

McTailGator wrote:
...media outlets and other entities incorrectly cited institutions as being Division I-AA in basketball or baseball...

Wouldn't the easiest thing be to just revoke the "licenses" of these media outlets? If you're a sports reporter and reporting about I-AA basketballdon't know that there is now I-AA basketball, quit your job and find a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:19 pm 
Two-Time All-American

slightly off topic, but loosely related ...

you know what irritates me? When folks use NCAA II. It's Division II. This isn't the AFL or a damn sequel to the first NCAA. It's just another level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:05 am 
All-Conference

I've heard that the NCAA and the University Presidents are talking about having a Bowl Coalition Series and a Playoff Championship Series. How true this is? I don't know. I wouldn't believe it right now, but in College sports anything is possible. For the BCS it would look like this; ACC- 12 teams, Big East- 8, Big 10- 11, Big 12- 12 , SEC-12 PAC 10-10, Mountain West-9, and independants 3. This tatals up to 77 teams in the BCS. For the PCS; C-USA 12 teams, WAC-9, MAC-12, and the Sun Belt-8. This adds up to 41. Also there is talk that D1-AA'S would be allowed to participate in the playoff. The bowl commitee's wouldn't like it much and alot of people as well. I think a short playoff would happen first. This would decide who the Champions would be. Then fallowed up by the bowl games. The BCS would go on with business as usual. This is just one mans opinion What do you think that the chances of this happening? Thanks for your time and Gooooo BEARS!!!!!!

Papabear