Post subject: 8-10 readings...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:34 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/081006/spo_0810060026.shtml

Bears dance
Early and hot preseason drills have UCA players sweating
By DAVID MCCOLLUM
Log Cabin Staff Writer

The University of Central Arkansas have begun preseason football drills by playing what coach Clint Conque terms "basketball."

"It's been a lot of dancing, posting up, footwork type of things," Conque said after the Bears' first practice in shorts and shells, which began Tuesday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:35 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/081006/spo_0810060031.shtml

UCA game has a role in LR Festival

By DAVID MCCOLLUM
Log Cabin Staff Writer

LITTLE ROCK - The University of Central Arkansas' football season-opener will be part of a week long sports festival here, probably the largest of its kind ever held in the state.

The Capital City Classic between the Bears and Henderson State on Aug. 31 at War Memorial Stadium will be in the middle of "Game Week in the Rock" a mixture of football, baseball and special sports events...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:24 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:

By DAVID MCCOLLUM
Log Cabin Staff Writer

LITTLE ROCK - The University of Central Arkansas' football season-opener will be part of a week long sports festival here, probably the largest of its kind ever held in the state.

The Capital City Classic between the Bears and Henderson State on Aug. 31 at War Memorial Stadium will be in the middle of "Game Week in the Rock" a mixture of football, baseball and special sports events...

That sounds good at first glance, but how many events are going to clash with our game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:37 am 
Redshirt

Purple Pride wrote:
Bear Fan 101 wrote:

By DAVID MCCOLLUM
Log Cabin Staff Writer

That sounds good at first glance, but how many events are going to clash with our game?

I just checked what would probably be the most significant drawback to this setup and the travelers are playing on the 31st at the exact same time as UCA vs Henderson. Seeing as how this will be one of the last 4 games played at Ray Winder field, i would assume their attendance may be a little higher than normal.

Now for the best news of them all....the first televised razorback game of 2006 is also included as part of the week.....so I would assume there will be more hype around their game than yours..... Sounds like the city of LR gotcha on that one. I, like you, thought it sounded like a great deal

Please keep in mind that I only included two other sporting events in that week. I would imagine there are many other high school games going on at similar times considering it is the first official week for high school football.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:48 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

U of A game should have no barring on ours since it is a Saturday kickoff. You might be right on media coverage because of that, but my guess is some LR media outlets, if not all of them, will be at War Memorial for our game in a some capacity.

Now that stupid Hooten's Classic might cut into the attendance some since some of the high schools across the state will be playing on Thursday night as well. Those brilliant Hootens strike again. :roll:

The Travs do play, and yes it is the last homestand ever. But I'm not sure it will cut into our gate whatsoever. They will get the diehard baseball fans, which is not what the Cap. City Classic is trying to draw if I had to guess at it. That and throw in the fact they are nearly in last place...again. They have now lost their biggest name and best prospect to Team USA Baseball, so I'm not sure their draw will go well due to the fact plenty of high school and college football will be around as other options available for sports fans in general.

I think our draw will depend on exactly how much the word gets out between now and kickoff in LR and the surrounding area (marketing, media exposure, etc...). How the weather is, and exactly how many people want to see some football.