It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Article: First win over I-AA team
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:04 am 
2nd Team

This is my first post, but unfortunately, I have to correct the Admin's article.

That was a good article but the first win over a I-AA team was Sept. 28 1992 at Univ Tennessee-Chattanooga in which the Bears won 24-17. The Mocs of the Southern Conference were ranked at the time #9 in I-AA and may been overlooking the the defending NAIA National Champion Bears since they were to play the Clemson Tigers the following week and of course the Bears were an NAIA team. It was also an emotional game for the Bears, for just a couple of days earlier we lost starting offensive lineman Roy Thomas to a car accident. It was one of the most uplifting victories that any player could be apart of because you knew Roy Thomas was up there smiling down at us. We had accomplish what other people had said was impossible.
I think this shows that anybody at any given day can beat anybody and that this upcoming UCA team with all the talent it has, has the ability to pull upsets just like the 92 team did. Winning the Gulf South last year will help the team's mind set of "knowing they can win" and not just "hoping they can win". That mind set will win you a lot of games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Awesome.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. I looked back through the media guide, but never would have picked that game out.

Any idea how many I-AA wins there were between UT-C and UAPB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:43 am 
2nd Team

No problem. As to my knowledge, there have been no more I-AA wins between, before, and after those two wins. Just a few close heartbreakers. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:09 am 
2nd Team

A couple of trivial things from that game worth mentioning:

After the Bears shocked the # 9 Mocs and were pounded by 50+ points by the Clemson Tigers, the Mocs never recovered. The Mocs lost every game from then on and it resulted in the firing of their head coach, Buddy Nix.

Also, most Bear fans probably don't realize that the Mocs had a freshman wide receiver by the name of Terrell Owens on its roster. Luckly he was only a freshman and he didn't have any catches in that game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:10 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I have heard stories on how much fun that trip was for some of our fans. Good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:06 am 
Team Captain

In nine years Nix had gone 44-54-1 at UTC and his best season ever was only 7 wins.

The Clemson team that pounded them was Ken Hatfield's 5-6 squad. He got run out of town the next season.

That UTC team beat Boise State in Boise they fired their coach. Had a losing season under new coach Pokey Allen in 1993 and since then Boise has had two losing records. 1996 as Pokey Allen was dying of cancer and 1997 under Houston Nutt which qualified him to come to Arkansas a year later.

Near as I can tell UTC is the only team ASU ever played twice in a season, at least in the modern era of football.

Last edited by arkstfan on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:07 am 
2nd Team

The trip was very long (by bus), somber, and low key going to Chattanooga due to the loss of our teamate. However when we got there we got our first glimpse of a Division I atmosphere by staying in a very nice downtown hotel, much different from staying at the motels/inns in tiny towns like Ada, Okla (East Central Oklahoma U) and Itta Bena, MS (Mississippi Valley State). After the win, however, the trip naturally didn't seem near as long. But Chattanooga is in a beautiful area and I would love for the Bears to play there again so I can make a road trip to a very nice place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:14 am 
Team Captain

Purple was that the new stadium or the old one that had stands that ended at around the 30 yard line on one end but went to the end zone on the other?

The old one had some university academic building in one end zone and a strong kicker could break out a window with a well aimed shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:19 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

that trip was the first time I heard of a place called Bucksnort, TN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:24 pm 
2nd Team

It was definately the old one because I remember the old house in the endzone and I remember the stands (blue and yellow I think) like that too. The stadium was suppose to be one of the oldest stadiums in the South. The new stadium in Chattanooga, though, is very nice. If I'm not mistaken, like Florence Alabama is the site for the D2 National Championship, it is the site of the I-AA National Championship game, isn't it? Hopefully we'll play there some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:36 pm 
2nd Team

I remember Bucksnort :lol:

And the giant fireworks display in the middle of nothing but Smokey Mountains. :shock: