It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 New Bears transfer in...?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:23 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

from the U of A today or later this week...

WR Cedric Logan and TE Marc Winston are both said to be headed Conway bound according to Chuck Barrett's show and on KARK 4's 'Hog Nation' just now.

Post subject: Re: 2 New Bears transfer in...?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:31 pm 
All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:

WR Cedric Logan and TE Marc Winston are both said to be headed Conway bound according to Chuck Barrett's show and on KARK 4's 'Hog Nation' just now.

And if I understand correctly, they both will be eligable immediately.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:35 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

well watching Hog fans trash themo n some of their boards right now, you'd begin to wonder if it was a good or bad thing for us. :roll: Now keep in mind it isnt all Hog fans that are trashing these two, but man.

Hope Coach Nutt doesnt get get mad at the fans again for posting the information on them. :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:55 pm 
UserName Retired

I heard the transfer reports, but all I saw said the destination(s) of the players was yet to be determined.

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:51 pm 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
I heard the transfer reports, but all I saw said the destination(s) of the players was yet to be determined.

:?:
Yeah, that's what I heard is that it hasn't been determined, but people were speculating it would be UCA. It makes sense and every time an in-state D1 player transfers there will be speculation that it is going to be UCA since they are only one notch down and the players don't have to sit out.

Those would be nice pickups if you guys have room. I'd like to have the TE at ASU, but with the transfer rules he will likely go D1AA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:57 pm 
UserName Retired

What year are they? If they do transfer here, this could be good news for the depth chart!

Post subject: Re: 2 New Bears transfer in...?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:28 pm 
Practice Squad

Burly Bear wrote:
Bear Fan 101 wrote:

And if I understand correctly, they both will be eligable immediately.

Burly Bear :D

How would they both be eligible now since they would be transfereing from one D1 school to another D1 school? Is it because UCA isn't technically D1 yet? Otherwise they couldn't be eligible without a years sitting out. Never mind, I just thought about this and figured out my answer on my own. Even though the NCAA just changed the wording to everyone is D! their is still a difference between the the BCS teams and the championship series that UCA us in. You guys can still take transfers without sitting out a year.

Last edited by BigD on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:32 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah I'm waiting on someone to fully explain that one to me one way or the other. I have no clue if they are immediately eligible or not.

I can see why they would be since we still count as D2 on all schedules this year. But I can also see why they wouldnt be since we already lost some players over the spring/summer due to the tougher or more strict eligibility of 1-AA over D2.

I'll wait until someone tells me yea or nea if they are immediately available for duty or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:07 am 
Starter

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
yeah I'm waiting on someone to fully explain that one to me one way or the other. I have no clue if they are immediately eligible or not.

I can see why they would be since we still count as D2 on all schedules this year. But I can also see why they wouldnt be since we already lost some players over the spring/summer due to the tougher or more strict eligibility of 1-AA over D2.

I'll wait until someone tells me yea or nea if they are immediately available for duty or not.

Division I-A to I-AA (or lower) transfers are immediately eligible provided the I-A school grants a release. I-AA to I-A transfers must sit at least one year.

The new nomenclature involving division I football has raised questions about the transfer rule. Some feel that since everyone will be known simply as division I, the transfer rule will be treated like basketball but I've heard nothing will change other than the designations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:24 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

thanks lionsfan, that does make a little more sense to me.

Steve Sullivan also announced last night on the 10 pm sportscast that Otis Kirk is reporting that both are transferring here. But I'm not one that believes everything that Grit says.

Here is the article from today on the situation.

http://nwanews.com/adg/Sports/163586/

....Nutt said his office received a call from the University of Central Arkansas about Logan and Winston, but he doesn’t know if that’s where the players will transfer.

Logan and Winston said UCA may be among their choices but that they haven’t made any decision about where to transfer.

UCA is moving up to NCAA Division I-AA status this season from Division II, but players from I-A schools such as Logan and Winston would have immediate eligibility with the Bears.

“I’m interested in every level,” Logan said of his transfer choices. “Whichever opportunity presents itself to be the best for me, I’m going to jump at it.”

Logan, who played in one game as a true freshman in 2004, said he’s confident he’ll have three years of eligibility after he transfers. He expects to receive a medical redshirt resulting from an ankle injury that sidelined him after the 2004 opener against New Mexico State.

Winston is a redshirt sophomore, so he has three years of eligibility if he transfers to a I-AA or Division II school.

In five games last season, Winston caught 2 passes for 3 yards.

“Right now, my options are wide open,” Winston said. “I’ll listen to everybody.”

Logan said he understands the chance he’s taking by transferring from Arkansas without having another destination lined up in advance.

“It’s a big gamble,” Logan said. “But right now I feel like it needs to be done.

“ I’m willing to take this chance. I think I need it. I’m going to run with it, wherever it takes me.”

Winston said he’s confident the decision to transfer will work out well.

“Right now, I’m pretty sure I’ll land on two feet,” Winston said. “The risk is high, but the reward is high, too.”

Logan and Winston could transfer to the same school, but they said that’s not a given. They’re not a package deal.

“It’s definitely a personal move for us,” Winston said. “If we make a joint move, so be it, because some of the same schools have contacted both of us.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:38 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3150

...Also on Monday, it was reported that Junior flanker Cedric Logan and Junior tight end Marc Winston have left the University of Arkansas and will transfer to the University of Central Arkansas in COnway. Logan played in all 11 games in 2005, inlcuding 1 start, while making 6 catches for 65-yards and one touchdown. Winston appeared in five games in 2005 while making two catches for 3-yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:38 pm 
2nd Team

I'd be pretty pissed if I were a receiver or tight end who had put in myh work this spring and summer and someone moved right in ahead of me... we'll see how the depth charts change the next week or so if this happens... and keep in mind just cuz someone came from UA or D1 don't mean they can play... can anyone say Stephen Green real fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:41 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

well of course Green was going to bust here, he was a Tar Hole before he became a Bear :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:46 pm 
Team Captain

That rule wasn't adopted until after we moved to I-A. Used to be you sat a year no matter. Now if you go down a division or subgroup you get a free transfer.

I don't think the nomenclature change will have any impact because all they are doing is removing references to I-A and writing Bowl and removing I-AA and writing Championship. All the criteria and other rules remain identical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:59 pm 
UserName Retired

bearly legal wrote:
can anyone say Stephen Green real fast.
Yes, but I can also say Fu'Quan Harris, even though it's hyphenated. Brian Stallworth also comes to mind from the recent past.