Post subject: How was the Scrimmage?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:15 pm 
UserName Retired

Let us know how it went!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:20 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

absolutely WONDERFUL...minus the 100 degree extreme heat.

Had an absolute GREAT Turnout in my opinion. The blow up games and activities for kids were outstanding as well as the T-shirts. Athletic Dept and Marketing Dept. get Kudos for that all happened. I'm going to venture to say, and my guess is rough only, that there were close to 500, if not more at scrimmage today. There were a TON of people holed up in the Concourse area due to the very hot conditions at Estes today.

I would say the biggest thing to come out of the scrimmage was that we are, in most cases 100% HEALTHY! As far as I know, and heard after talking with few, we lost no one in today's scrimmage that I'm aware of. Fairooz broke 2 LONG TD passes. Lots of fans there catching the action. I'm quite sure there will be numerous reports on here over night and tomorrow. I know KATV, Justin Acri, and Fox 16, as long as our beat writer from ArDemGaz, were all in town filming action and writing stories for sure, not sure on other stations though for those worried about media exposure.

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:24 pm 
UserName Retired

Great news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:42 pm 
UserName Retired

Yeah, the kids activities were great! Fairooz broke one TD run I got to see before I had to go but our offense looked great! I wonder how our defense, pass defense that is, will be able to hold other teams. On several occasions they got just plain burned on a pass. There was also a problem with the snapping game. Slow snaps for field goals and xpoints, as pointed out to me by former players who were watching from the stands. :cry: But overall the second string looked great! I am dying ot see us destroy Henderson State! Gooooo Bears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:45 pm 
All-American

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been posted, however, I think it is probably the best crowd for a scrimmage that we have had, despite the awful hot weather conditions.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:10 pm 
UserName Retired

I think a lot of the pass coverage problems were with the 2nd team d, still not good but it wasn't usually first against first. For example, I know Fairooz's 2nd td catch (of what? 65 yards or so... aka the short one) was against a freshman. I don't think it's fair to expect him to be able to shut Fairooz down. Not many have. A backup safety was also caught out of position on what turned out to be a great diving catch by Kennemer. Enough about that.

I think our first string defense will be pretty solid. Jasper and Leroy are very experienced safeties. Dathan is banged up and was on the sideline for the scrimmage.

And for the record, Fairooz's TD catch mentioned above was his second of the day. The first was an 80-yarder I think. He made the first guy miss on the outside and then, of course, no one was going to catch him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

No point in writing the same story that the DemGaz, Cabin, and UCASports is going to write, so I'll probably wait to see what they say and then see what I might be able to add.

Until then, the Photo Gallery.
Keep in mind that the gallery is a work in progress. :D But it's better than what we had before - at least on my end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:49 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

there's plenty to work on between now and Cap. City Classic, but I like the fact we are relatively injury free, or the ones who did sit out will be ready for game #1 as far as I know at this time.

Now it's a waiting game until the 31st...

Post subject: Injury Report
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

I bet you'll find out some more injury information in tomorrow's papers.

The worst news is that Che is still not practicing, and no real word on his expected return date. Joe Walker should be back to practice this next week. Cowger is out with a broken finger (not from today's scrimmage though).
Echols and Moss are both out with injuries. Moss is a knee problem. Echols is an old injury they are hoping they can just go in and clean out. Dathan and Spreco should be back relatively soon I think.

I'm sure there are more that I'm not remembering right now, but you're right. Conque was down-right excited about no one getting injured during the scrimmage. Said something about it being the first time in a couple of years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:46 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

good 2 part scrimmage reports on the homepage if you guys haven't seen them yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:35 am 
Starter

I was very pleased with the attendance. It shows that a lot of people are excited about the move up to D-I and the Championship Division.

Although a lot of people are getting excited about the Capital City Classic, I am looking down the road to those first games against D-I competition when we play at Illinois State on September 9thj and Missouri State in Estes on September 16th.

I agree with some of you that I thought the kicking game looked a little slow. But, both James Paul and Freshman Jay Salter from Conway did not look bad. We just need to speed it up and I am sure they will through the final days of practice leading up to Hendrson State.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:46 am 
UserName Retired

I am definitely ready for some UCA football! I can't wait! Not to look past the first couple of games, but I hope that for the first True Home game against Missouri State we can pack the stands with a ton of fans! Hopefully upwards of 12-13k!!! 8)