It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:35 am 
UserName Retired

Maybe some of the ASU fans can tell us what helped get their attendance up. Is it just being competitive against better competition?
Is it better pregame activities to get people to come out in the first place?

It's been mentioned before on here, but I don't care as much about a specific number as I do about getting quality, scream-your-head-off fanatics. If we could fill half the stadium with these folks, it'd be just as good as averaging 15,000 to me. (understanding 15,000 is much more than capacity)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:20 am 
UserName Retired

Bearfootball24 wrote:
Ill tell you I grew up going to Arkansas Razorback games but once you grow up and get your head on right you should support the school you go to. Cost isnt the issue and it you want to be a hog fan the you should go to fayetteville. Otherwise you damn better be cheering for Da' Bears!

Amen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:27 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bearfootball24 wrote:
Ill tell you I grew up going to Arkansas Razorback games but once you grow up and get your head on right you should support the school you go to. Cost isnt the issue and it you want to be a hog fan the you should go to fayetteville. Otherwise you damn better be cheering for Da' Bears!

Excellent post. Most of us who grew up in Arkansas were exposed to the swine much more than any other school. However, part of growing up and going off to college is being mature enough to make decisions for yourself. You do not need to root for a team just because that is what is on TV or in the newspaper most of the time. Root for your own team, not doing so is, in effect, degrading you own school.

Put simply, why be a "wannabe" when you are already a Bear!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:46 am 
2nd Team

Okay, I probably should not be doing this but....I advertised UCA home games like crazy. Before every single football and basketball home game and before select other home athletic events the athletic department would put LARGE purple signs in 6 different "hot spots" on campus. We would do table tents, posters, fliers and Student Center TV ads. The cheerleaders would also "hit" the campus the Thursday before each home football and basketball game announcing the upcoming game, throwing out t-shirts, etc. Something much like a mini-peprally/parade. Often they would set up a table in the student center for an entire week before a big game to promote it all week.
My thought after being the Marketing Director for five years. We have to get people on board before they come to UCA. By the time a young person is 18 headed to college they likely have Razorbacks so burned into their brains, they don't even know who the Bears are. UCA has done an incredible job in all respects of changing this. Nine years ago, no one on campus wore purple or said go bears or went to any games. Going D1 will help, and continuing to work to create a better atmosphere at the games will also help. But we have to find a way to a) keep students on campus on the weekends. Right now everyone leaves campus b/c to be quite honest the UCA campus is boring. Students are micro-managed as far as having fun goes, so they go home or somewhere else on campus so they can have fun without getting in trouble. And b) we have to find a way to get the Bear word out to people across the state. This means our fans have got to call the Buzz more often every day. The local media will talk about what their listeners want to hear. The more we call local radio, the more WE push to hear and see more on the Bears-the more we will get. That is not to say that I think we will ever surpass what U of A has. We know the pecking order, but we have to at least make certain that our incoming students know who we are, what we are and our games are the most important. We have to find a way to build a tradition, to make sure students know that it is "cool" to go to the games. The games must be the center of weekend social life. I don't know the answer to that problem-obviously, but I do konw things have gotten better. With what Coach Conque, Lu Hardin and the Athletic Department has done over the past two to five years, there is a foundation to build off of. Each year the Freshman need to be completely inundated with Bear spirit as soon as they step on campus. Not that that is the cure-all, but it is a start. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:22 am 
Two-Time All-American

Yet another good post.

But I stick to my guns, if you CHOOSE to attend any given school, then you should CHOOSE to 1)support the school in all areas, 2) stay on campus (or in town) and make your own fun, and 3) don't be a "wannabe".

We are making progress and it is up to all of us to continue to build on the hard work that many, including the poster above, have done over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:36 pm 
All-American

Bearfootball24 wrote:

Amen...Brother...Preach On!!!!!!

Sounds like you were raised right!!!

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:51 pm 
All-Conference

I agree with an earlier post concerning Greek participation. I attended ONE basketball game last year where the entire student section was Greek..it was loud...granted they weren't cheering they were just talking to each other, but man can those girls talk. Every other school I have been to it was mandantory for the Greeks to be there.

As for non students...Would a "Buy-Out" be possible? Free tickets placed at local businesses that they "bought", The businesses would be advertising and the people would get free tickets.

Just a thought, from all the free tickets I used for the AAA Baseball team in my old home-town. We went even if we didn't know or care who was playing because it was free :)