It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Team chemistry at wr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:11 pm 
2nd Team

I'm sure this is a question that could be asked of any team at any level, but with the recent influx of new players, especially at wide receiver, I was just wondering if you think the chemistry of that group in particular will be affected. The Bears have added Logan and Mack from prominent D1 programs and in addition signed four receivers they obviously think can contribute at some point. Fairooz and Che are going to play no doubt, and one would expect Ware and Kinard to also get a lot of time. Logan and Mack, maybe not in the first game, but eventually will command playing time. Then you've got Payne, who was pushed in the spring, expecting p.t. Throw in Kennemer and Nance, with four freshmen and that gives you 13 players... not counting several walk-ons as well. Only four or five will play most likely in any given game with the present offense. I guess you could argue that the position is a strength, but it is going to require some great diplomacy from the staff to satisfy everyone...I think Clint Conque is great at this, but it makes for good discussion as game time nears.

Post subject: Re: Team chemistry at wr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:24 pm 
All-American

bearly legal wrote:
I'm sure this is a question that could be asked of any team at any level, but with the recent influx of new players, especially at wide receiver, I was just wondering if you think the chemistry of that group in particular will be affected. The Bears have added Logan and Mack from prominent D1 programs and in addition signed four receivers they obviously think can contribute at some point. Fairooz and Che are going to play no doubt, and one would expect Ware and Kinard to also get a lot of time. Logan and Mack, maybe not in the first game, but eventually will command playing time. Then you've got Payne, who was pushed in the spring, expecting p.t. Throw in Kennemer and Nance, with four freshmen and that gives you 13 players... not counting several walk-ons as well. Only four or five will play most likely in any given game with the present offense. I guess you could argue that the position is a strength, but it is going to require some great diplomacy from the staff to satisfy everyone...I think Clint Conque is great at this, but it makes for good discussion as game time nears.

I agree with what you are saying, but if you produce, you will play.
That ole saying about the cream rising to the top will most likely go into effect here.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject: Re: Team chemistry at wr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:49 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Burly Bear wrote:

If you produce, you will play. That ole saying about the cream rising to the top will most likely go into effect here.
Burly Bear :D

That is the way it is looking in fall drills so far. Considering a lot of people and coaches have talked about adding quality depth at all positions, I'd say the influx of quality players adds to the quality depth at that position and adds one less worry to our team heading into next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:03 pm 
UserName Retired

I think this depth will be a good thing for the WR position because not only will it force the players to stay on top of their game in order to keep being able to play game in and game out and not turn their spot over to someone else, but it is also nice to have all of these guys in case something happens (God forbid that it does!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:56 am 
Two-Time All-American

Also, 1 or 2 of the freshmen could redshirt which allows them to grow and mature and be even better players in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:59 am 
UserName Retired

UCABEARS75 wrote:
Also, 1 or 2 of the freshmen could redshirt which allows them to grow and mature and be even better players in the future.

I'm guessing that a few will redshirt. If I'm one that's not looking to get into any games this year due to the extreme depth, I'd be begging to.