It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sports Network Previews UCA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:43 am 
All-Conference

Haven't seen this posted to The Sports Network site just yet, but for whatever reason, found it on the Web elsewhere. SNW had some 'Net issues yesterday which may explain this, but here's a preview from the SNW...

CENTRAL ARKANSAS BEARS (11-3 in Division II Gulf South Conference)

A former McNeese State assistant coach, Central Arkansas head coach Clint Conque will be back in familiar territory when the Bears begin playing a full Southland Conference schedule next season. This year, a Bears team that returns three Division II All-Americans and most of the starting lineup from a DII quarterfinalist will provide a challenge for opponents like Illinois State, Missouri State, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, South Dakota State, UC Davis and Georgia Southern.

An offense that averaged 437 yards per game and scored more than 40 ppg will be tough to deal with. Quarterback Nathan Brown (2410 yards, 25 TD) earned Freshmen of the Year honors in the Gulf South Conference and posted an 8-1 record, and wide receiver Aaron Fairooz (1197 yards, 12 TD) has a chance to go down as the school’s top all-time player at his position. The running back spot is more wide-open after the loss of top rusher Kentrel Rogers, but an offensive line with four senior starters should do a good job anchoring the offensive attack. All-Americans Jacob Ford (54 TT, 17 TFL, 9 sacks) and Quentin Maxfield (106 TT) lead the defense at defensive end and linebacker, while Jasper Johnson (81 TT, 5 TFL) is the top player in the secondary. Like the offense, the defense is set with a solid group of returning starters.

With a good head coach and program that did well at the Division II level, the Bears will probably add to the quality depth in the Southland Conference and eventually contend for playoff spots in the future. They won’t have playoff aspirations for a few more years, and notching a good record in the games against I-AA opponents will be tough with six of the seven contests on the road. But the Bears can gain some notoriety by knocking off at least a couple of their I-AA opponents and showing everyone that they will be able to compete at this level.

Here's the link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:55 pm 
UserName Retired

Thanks TT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:39 pm 
All-Conference

Here's the link and the lead for the SNW story...

Independent - Bears aiming for first-year impact

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - In 2003, Northern Colorado made a splash in its first season as a I-AA member by winning at a Montana State team that went on to win the Big Sky Conference. The next year, North Dakota State got its I- AA tenure off to a good start by defeating eventual Southland Conference champion Northwestern State.

After an appearance in last year’s Division II quarterfinals, the Central Arkansas Bears are ready to add their name to the list of first-year I-AA programs to nocth a significant win or two.

The Bears will get plenty of chances to score important victories this season, with two games against their future Southland Conference peers, two matchups with the Gateway and Great West, and a season-ending road trip to Georgia Southern. Those teams would be wise not to take the Bears lightly. UCA returns three players that earned Division II All-America honors, a quarterback with an 8-1 record, and most of the players from an explosive offense and solid defense. The Bears won the deep Gulf South Conference last year, and have run off a string of quality seasons under head coach Clint Conque.

They probably won’t win a bunch of games against I-AA opponents, especially when six of the seven contests are on the road. But the Bears have a great chance to score a couple of big wins and start earning respect from their new peers.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4037623.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:23 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Blah, Blah, Blah. Another fluffy talking idiot that doesn't even know what conference we're in. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:52 am 
All-Conference

Purple Pride wrote:
Blah, Blah, Blah. Another fluffy talking idiot that doesn't even know what conference we're in. :evil:

Umm...

You guys are independents this year in football. Every other sport, your members of the Southland, but in football you are an independent per the NCAA transition rules...see Winston Salem State as another example...

So, who's the idiot? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:20 am 
UserName Retired

What's worth pointing out to those who didn't click on the link is that UCA actually gets twice the ink of the other two schools mentioned.

Basically a story that most everyone on here's already heard a few times, but it's good that it's out there for everyone else to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

TexasTerror wrote:
Purple Pride wrote:

Umm...

You guys are independents this year in football. Every other sport, your members of the Southland, but in football you are an independent per the NCAA transition rules...see Winston Salem State as another example...

So, who's the idiot? :P

Southland gets new look, new digs and largest lineup on July 1
UCA, A&M-CC officially join Southland for 12-team configuration; New league office opens.

July 1, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - The Southland Conference reaches it largest configuration Saturday as the University of Central Arkansas and Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi officially join the league as full members. The addition of UCA and A&M-CC bring membership to 12 institutions, the highest full-time membership in the league's 43-year history.

Looks like that "idiot" suit fits you, Tex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:11 pm 
All-Conference

Purple Pride wrote:
Looks like that "idiot" suit fits you, Tex.

Purple Pride, are you pulling my strings or what? I honestly can't tell...

Have you not been following the move up to Div I? In football, you are not officially a member of the conference due to the transitition requirements in place for football that do not exist for other sports.

How can you officially be a member of the SLC for football when you do not play the full conference schedule?

Check I-AA.org:
http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=566

Do I need to bring Ralph of I-AA.org on here to explain the transition issues? BearFan101, you want to provide you buddy some insight?

There's a reason you guys and Winston Salem State are listed as independents. Div IIs can not instantly move into a football conference in year one. Southeastern Louisiana was an independent when they brought back football, as well before moving in.

Not trying to be a jerk, but PurplePride, you folks are independents in football. Nothing to be ashamed of, it's part of the process...and that's why the media and everyone else in the I-AA world has you listed as an Independent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:10 am 
Redshirt

If you recieved a copy of the 1-AA. org Magazine UCA is listed as an independant. It does say you will be playing a full Southland schedule next year. Out of the 4 independants they predict UCA will have the better year. Good luck to you. I hope to get down there for a game when ASU is out of town.