All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game 1 - UCA-Hendy St. Cap City Classic Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:25 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

CAPITAL CITY CLASSIC
AUG. 31, 2006

CENTRAL ARKANSAS BEARS (0-0)
HENDERSON STATE REDDIES (0-0)
7 PM., WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM, LITTLE ROCK, ARK.

Henderson St. game notes found at the link below, these notes taken from HSU Sports Info. Links...

http://www.hsu.edu/uploadedFiles/Athletics/HSU%20FB%20Fact%20Sheet%20vs.%20UCA.pdf

Offensively sophomore Garett Manning moves from wide receiver to quarterback after having caught 47 passes for 580 yards as a freshman. A three-time All- District performer at Hallettsville High School, Manning completed 126 of 226 passes for 2,045 yards while rushing for 1,097 yards as a senior. Manning poses a double threat for the Reddie opponents having 4.4 speed, the Hallettsville, Texas native can tuck it and run at any time.
The Reddies’ top running back from 2005, returns for his sophomore year. Bernard Palmer rushed for 866 yards on 198 rushes and was seventh in the league and the top freshman running back in the GSC. Jace Garrison returns to the backfield after seeing most of his action as a receiver in 2005. In 2004, Garrison rushed for 548 yards and four TDs as a freshman.
Marques Clark was HSU’s top receiver last season with 49 receptions for 700 yards including a school-record 98 touchdown reception, while Jason Factuar also returns after having 28 receptions for 275 yards.
Defensively, Henderson State returns its top four tacklers from a year ago. Defensive end Sam Carter returns and will anchor the Reddie front unit. Carter led the Reddies with 64 tackles including eight tackles for lost yardage and three sacks. Middle linebacker Charles Green totaled 60 stops, while cornerback Jabrayl Ward will be the anchor in the secondary after having 60 tackles, three interceptions and a team best eight pass breakups. Season veteran D.J. Papillion had 48 tackles at his linebacker spot a year ago and recorded three tackles for lost yardage.
--------------------------------------
HSU OFFENSIVE EXPLOSIONIn 2005, the Reddies averaged 260.6 yards passing which was second in
school history, and 374.0 yards of total offense which was third all-time at HSU.
Those numbers should increase this season. The Reddies will utilize the no huddle offense, and with an experienced offensive line, there should be numerous records broken in 2006.
-------------------------------------
SEASON OPENERS
Since Henderson State began playing football, the Reddies are 47-48-2 in opening day games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:38 pm 
2nd Team

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/083006/ ... 0035.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
But UCA can't be tentative, go through the motions and expect a cakewalk or routine win.

Exactly why people are picking such a wide margin of victory?
The Bears will make a statement about moving on and up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:53 pm 
UserName Retired

Just found this out off of the D2football.com board:
Quote:
The squads return to the location of their only
neutral site meeting, a UCA blanking of HSU, 20-0, in 1938.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:46 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Obviously these come from the UCA Sports Information Dept.!

http://www.ucasports.com/gamenotes/UCA%20FB%20NOTES%20%28vs%20HSU%29.pdf

THE SERIES:
Thursday’s game will mark the 84th meeting between the Bears and Reddies. That makes this series the most played series for UCA, one more than the UCA-Arkansas Tech rivalry (played 83 times).

UCA leads the series 42-38-3. The Bears are 25-13-1 in games played in Conway. They are 16-25-2 in games played in Arkadelphia. The Bears won the only game ever played inLittle Rock (1938) by a score of 20-0.
UCA has won five of the past six games in the series, including two straight, and 18 of the last 21 (dating back to 1985). HSU’s last victory was a 28-23 contest in 2003 in Conway.

In the last five meetings, UCA has outscored HSU by a combined 249-68. The past two games the score was a combined 110-19 margin. UCA had a 10-game winning streak, the longest for either team in the series, broken in 1995.
-------------------------------

WINNING WAYS:
Over the past five seasons, the Bears have gone 41-19 overall, with two playoff appearances. That makes them the winningest college football team in Arkansas over that period of time!
------------------------------

HOME SWEET HOME:
UCA has won its last two games at War Memorial Stadium, beating I-AA Arkansas-Pine Bluff 42-28 in 2003 and beating HSU...(or EASTERN NEW MEXICO)... 55-7 a year ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:57 am 
UserName Retired

If we could put 22,146 people in WMS stadium tonight I would be happy because that is the number of people that turned out to watch a high school game there Tuesday night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:21 am 
UserName Retired

I would be more than happy with that total. I just hope we're not completely embarrassed by that 22,000 number.

What time are people showing up tonight? Anyone have specific pregame plans I can crash? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:31 am 
UserName Retired

From the DemGaz:
“No matter what level you’re talking about, from pee wee to professional football, the team with the better quarterback will usually win the game,” Maxfield said.

Someone should tell Maxfield that Nathan Brown is pretty freakin good. The dreaded Reddie defense force him into one incompletion last season.

I'll take Brown over a new QB/WR. Guess that means we will usually win?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:19 am 
UserName Retired

Was about to make it by to see the team at the stadium a bit ago.
Not sure what the plan is now but both busses pulled away at about 10:50.

Big thumbs up goes to Channel 4 for having sportscaster Keili Fulton there to interview Conque and Nathan Brown.

Since no one was there I walked around on the new turf. Coach says that it's similar to what they practice on (I'm assuming he meant in the Pepsi Center), but it felt a little slick to me. Of course, I wasn't in cleats.

Not long now. Amazing how quiet this place is. BF101? joshuca? (<- may be travelling already)

We've got to find some people around here who are opinionated. :lol: And not just about the athletic department, but the sports!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:07 pm 
UserName Retired

I know this place is quiet! I am not heading out until after a meeting today, so hopefully I will be headed that way around 3:00!!! It will be me and 3 of my good buddies!! See you guys there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I honestly think that the Reddies are not going to lay down in this ballgame. I know they have gotten beat pretty good over the past few years but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hanging tough within the early going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:17 pm 
Practice Squad

I'm very excited about this game for a variety of reasons. First, we should get to see what the new playmakers the Bears have picked up can do. The Fayetteville kid at wideout should impress, and the word is that Twilley will be very capable in the passing game. Secondly, look to see a very mature defense with better overall speed than last year. All the junior transfers from a year ago are going to be that much better, and I really like the athleticism in the secondary. I wouldnt worry about our DL depth too much at this point, as most of our fronts don't incorporate alot of them at one time. I also think that the DE and LB weapons that we have will more than compensate for any question marks that we have at DL. Finally, if all goes as it should, look for Coach to get those freshmen that he is looking for to contribute PLENTY of playing time. Playing this game in a big time atmosphere such as War Memorial will really help move the young ones along.

Im very anxious to see the evolution of the offense with these new pieces we have in place. Will we see a bit of a departure from the power running game with only one returning half-back and brand new tight ends and fullbacks? With the O-line front five as big and experienced as ever, I wouldnt count on it too much. R Brown is known as a scat back, but he isn't afraid to hit the holes hard. How will our depth be on Defense? I'm unfamiliar with alot of the new freshmen and hope that a tough camp has got them ready. All in all we should come out of this game with a much better look at how the season will be. We have alot tougher road ahead to be sure, but if we execute properly on both sides of the ball and if the offense gets its timing down early, good things may be in store for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:38 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

treyuca wrote:
Not long now. Amazing how quiet this place is. BF101? joshuca? (<- may be travelling already)

Hey sorry about the quietness, but we are tying up some..."loose ends" on our end, I'll leave it at that. I'm pretty dad gum excited though! A little nervous, just like I am before most any game. GREAT to see all the students out and about wearing a ton of purple on campus, now hopefully they will make the rek 20 minutes to watch their fellow classmates and BEARS! Good to have the Buzz back on campus, although I havent been able to listen due to these losse ends.

I'll end this post by saying GO BEARS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:39 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I think I'm going to officailly predict 35-14 final score. I think I said 42-21 earlier, but I'm going down on both those numbers on gameday. So sue me! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:42 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Bear'05 wrote:
I'm very excited about this game for a variety of reasons. First, we should get to see what the new playmakers the Bears have picked up can do. The Fayetteville kid at wideout should impress, and the word is that Twilley will be very capable in the passing game. Secondly, look to see a very mature defense with better overall speed than last year. All the junior transfers from a year ago are going to be that much better, and I really like the athleticism in the secondary. I wouldnt worry about our DL depth too much at this point, as most of our fronts don't incorporate alot of them at one time. I also think that the DE and LB weapons that we have will more than compensate for any question marks that we have at DL. Finally, if all goes as it should, look for Coach to get those freshmen that he is looking for to contribute PLENTY of playing time. Playing this game in a big time atmosphere such as War Memorial will really help move the young ones along.

Im very anxious to see the evolution of the offense with these new pieces we have in place. Will we see a bit of a departure from the power running game with only one returning half-back and brand new tight ends and fullbacks? With the O-line front five as big and experienced as ever, I wouldnt count on it too much. R Brown is known as a scat back, but he isn't afraid to hit the holes hard. How will our depth be on Defense? I'm unfamiliar with alot of the new freshmen and hope that a tough camp has got them ready. All in all we should come out of this game with a much better look at how the season will be. We have alot tougher road ahead to be sure, but if we execute properly on both sides of the ball and if the offense gets its timing down early, good things may be in store for us.

now THAT is a preview I like to see! :lol: