All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Illinois State
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:05 pm 
2nd Team

OMG, they are actually leading 3-0 at Kansas State in the second quarter. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:06 pm 
UserName Retired

They are only down 23-24 with a few minutes left...we may have our hands full next week guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:48 pm 
All-American

joshuca wrote:
They are only down 23-24 with a few minutes left...we may have our hands full next week guys...

I don't think there is ANY doubt about it...we WILL have our hands full next week.

Basically, it is time to step up.

Burly Bear :)

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:30 am 
Team Captain

If I were a Redbird fan I'd be torn between giving the coach a medal and beating him up.

This is the second time his team has been statistically dominate against I-A school and then elected to go for two rather than kicking and taking OT and both times it failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:44 pm 
UserName Retired

So what do we need to do in order to prepare for this team?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:20 pm 
UserName Retired

1) We're going to have to average more than 1.57 yards per carry.
2) Don't let them win every statistical category, minus the scoreboard. We want them to lose that one.
3) Continue to put up 478 yards of offense, limit them to 203, and score 39 points. :D

arkstfan - When was the other time this happened to them? Because I agree it's sounds unacceptable.

I tried to open up their media guide, but kept getting errors. The stats show that their defense pretty much dominated KState. Anyone know if that's been the case in the past?

They look pretty balanced in run vs. pass attempts. And without the fumble on the 9 yard line, who knows what happens in this game.

Hopefully our players see how they performed against a Big 12 opponent and that gives them something extra. Maybe we can even score a couple TDs on special teams like KState...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:54 pm 
2nd Team

Here's what I know... t hey had Iowa State beat last year and I talked to some people at the game... they can be very explosive running the football and are very capable of playing with some higher echelon teams, they just haven't been able to finish against the big boys. Against 1AA competition, they averaged nearly 50 ppg over the last half of the season. They are a very scary team for the Bears, but UCA can hang on defense. My worry is the offense won't be able to do some things in the run game that they were able to do in their opener and you also worry about giving Nathan Brown time to throw. After Ross, they struggled a bit in the running game. And whether anyone will acknowledge it or not, they mostly were outplayed overall on special teams last week and tyey've got to improve in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:10 pm 
UserName Retired

No doubt that special teams was far inferior to that of last year - leaving out Kinard's great return.

I don't know how much of the playbook he's learned, but the staff was impressed with Whitely after the game. We may see more of him before the younger guys. His experience in a D1 program could be valuable to the RB position that's very young once you get past Ross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:19 pm 
2nd Team

I agree Trey. As you know, I'm a big Ross Brown fan... being from the same area and him having grown up friends with Chris at Gosnell schools and all :D .... but I know him well enough to be worried about him being able to take a pounding for an entire game... same worry with some of our smaller receivers. However, i too was greatly impressed with the big back at the end of the game and also think the additions of Mack and Logan give UCA enough legitimate threats to go along with Fairooz that they didn't have with guys like Payne, Kinard and Ware... (not counting Che, who will also help). I woulde also like to see them give the ball to Logan at fb from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:34 am 
Redshirt

If I know UCA football, those guys know what kind of challenge they have in store for them. They also know that Illinois State is going to be coming after the smaller guy after losing such a close game. As for Olen Whitely, I'll agree he looked really good for only practicing for 3 days after coming back from that hamstring injury. Ross is a smaller back but a very tough one, and I think there is enough depth there that he will get the breaks he needs to be an influence in the game.

We'll stay updated on this weeks practice, the guys have not been on the field besides conditioning and weights since game day, so they should be fresh and ready to get after it this afternoon at 4pm.