It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WOW...Wonder what school this was directed toward???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:01 pm 
Redshirt

http://www.kthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=34994

Wirte your state Legislators!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:47 am 
UserName Retired

I was directed to that yesterday. There was a story (a little more in-depth) on the NWA News site.

You don't think this has anything to do with THIS do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:40 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
“What does the state gain ?” asked Sen. Dave Bisbee, R-Rogers, chairman of the Joint Budget Committee, which handles appropriation bills for the higher education institutions and the rest of state government. “It escapes me why we’re advertising. What value is the state getting from the advertising ?”

Is he really asking this question...of course separate schools are competing for students after all universities are businesses too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:41 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Sen. Jimmy Jeffress, D-Crossett, suggested that the schools be required to spend their endowment money, rather than public funds, on promotions.

My question is, isn't most of what UCA uses from endowments anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:43 am 
UserName Retired

This is all just a big political mess because the U of A had to cut their budget because their enrollment did not grow as much as they expected it to this year!!!! U of A bureaucracy= :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:47 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Off the chance that people visiting from out of state at all times of year see these advertisements on TV in their hotel rooms, or at the place they are staying, or on the radio. That might be how they hear about, let's say UCA (or any other in state school), for the first time. Then they go back to their home out of state and visit uca.edu and all of a sudden you have people from out of state interested in our school, or any other in state school for that matter. Then the prospective student and or parents visit UCA, or to be fair ANY of the other schools in ARKANSAS, one weekend to visit campus, and again, spend their money in Conway and ARKANSAS, and upon leaving the student decides to make UCA their college home for the next 4-5 years. At that point, you are bringing in out of state students and their parents willing to spend their money in our state over a 4 or 5 (or in some cases, longer) year span.

But in the above scenario, I cant possibly see what the state of ARKANSAS could possibly gain from the advertisement of any schools. The fact people would come to spend money in our state, decide to go to school here, and possibly even decide to live here in state once their college life is over, that cant be beneficial to this state at all can it?

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:53 am 
UserName Retired

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
But in the above scenario, I cant see what the state of ARKANSAS could possibly gain from the advertisement of any schools. The fact people would come to spend money in our state, decide to go to school here, and possibly even decide to live here in state once their college life is over, that cant be beneficial to this state at all can it?

LOL... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:00 am 
All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
Off the chance that people visiting from out of state at all times of year see these advertisements on TV in their hotel rooms, or at the place they are staying, or on the radio. That might be how they hear about, let's say UCA, for the first time. Then they go back to their home out of state and visit uca.edu and all of a sudden you have people from out of state interested in our school. Then the prospective student and or parents visit UCA, or to be fair ANY of the other schools in ARKANSAS, one weekend to visit campus, and agains spend their money in Conway and ARKANSAS, and upon leaving the student decides to make UCA their college home for the next 4-5 years. At that point, you are bringing in out of state students and their parents willing to spend their money in our state over a 4 or 5 (or in some cases, longer) year span.

But in the above scenario, I cant see what the state of ARKANSAS could possibly gain from the advertisement of any schools. The fact people would come to spend money in our state, decide to go to school here, and possibly even decide to live here in state once their college life is over, that cant be beneficial to this state at all can it?

Amen Brother....Preach On!!!!!!

Burly Bear :wink:

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:26 am 
All-Conference

And so it begins...... 8) Folks, expect more of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:29 pm 
Starter

I wonder where those three State Senators proposing this all graduated from? As C+C Music Factory sang years ago it "Makes You Want To Go HUMMMMM!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

More importantly, I believe that is the first C+C Music Factory reference in this board's history. October 6, 2006, a landmark day for UCAfans.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:37 pm 
UserName Retired

King of the South wrote:
More importantly, I believe that is the first C+C Music Factory reference in this board's history. October 6, 2006, a landmark day for UCAfans.com

What is C+C Music Factory???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:48 pm 
All-Conference

joshuca wrote:
King of the South wrote:

You must be pretty young. They were a horrible "tehcno" type "band" that had a couple of hits in the late 80s or early 90s. They also paraded a thin model to lipsync in their videos because the actual singer was pretty healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:16 pm 
UserName Retired

Crump1 wrote:
joshuca wrote:
King of the South wrote:

You must be pretty young. They were a horrible "tehcno" type "band" that had a couple of hits in the late 80s or early 90s. They also paraded a thin model to lipsync in their videos because the actual singer was pretty healthy.

Healthy!

I think the song was actually "Things That Make You Go Hmm".
They pretty much just sang that line over and over again with a "yeah" thrown in there.

Example:
Healthy woman: "Things That Make You Go Hmm"
Some dude: "Things That Make You Go Hmm"
Healthy woman: "Things That Make You Go Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, yeah"

And repeat....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:42 pm 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
Crump1 wrote:
joshuca wrote:
King of the South wrote:

Healthy!

I think the song was actually "Things That Make You Go Hmm".
They pretty much just sang that line over and over again with a "yeah" thrown in there.

Example:
Healthy woman: "Things That Make You Go Hmm"
Some dude: "Things That Make You Go Hmm"
Healthy woman: "Things That Make You Go Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, yeah"

And repeat....
That's quality writin' right there. Wasn't it inspired by the equally entertaining Arsenio Hall (Josh, he was an actor and had a latenight talk show in the 80s and 90s)? Maybe this board needs to shut down for a while and "retool" to attract a fresh new audience? You could add a "Dog Pound".