It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 7 Board Mtg
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 am 
Team Captain

bearwithme wrote:
huh? your saying people can't house and feed their families on $50,000 a year?

Some football assistant coaches do make around 50K or a little more. Most other sports assistants less than 40K and some in the upper 20's. We got some head coaches not even making 50K. Know your facts before you make stupid comments.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:21 pm 
All-Conference

UCABEARS75 wrote:
Crump1 wrote:
BearsFan52 wrote:
Amen......UCA is a great bargain as are the other Ark public 4 yr colleges. After having gone through the college search process with two children in recent years I saw no state schools in any nearby state (ignore out of state tuition) that was more cost effective than UCA.

Rogers has two new high schools (one in 2001 and the other is major remodel in 2008 of old campus) each with turf football stadiums with skyboxes and first class tracks and basketball arenas. Bentonville has D2 level football complex. Both school districts has tremendous tax bases to fund spending. The schools, science labs and arts faciltiies are prettty terrific also. Of course, no one will remember that their previous facilties were very old and cramped. Fayetteville really needs new high school and cost will be high. Springdale built Har-Ber State University (at least campus is most impressive) and is now doing major upgrade to old Springdale High campus. Every state university would slobber over these schools funding sources.

Ledge would love to get their money on Benton and Washington County tax revenues....but none would go to higher ed.

Back to the topic at hand, you would not likely make more by replacing a D2 with a FCS home game because you would have to do a home and home with FCS. That is, only one home game over two years plus travel cost to other FCS game. I would rather have ATU every year and put 15,000 at Estes than another FCS home game every other year.

It's probably a wash when comparing playing a D2 and paying a guarantee versus scheduling an FCS home and home. You probably do just a bit better than breaking even when you pay a D2 to come in with 8000-9000 attendance and a substantial number of those are not paying customers. Scheduling an FCS gets you a game every other year but you save that $40K. I would go for the D2 game since the money is essentially a wash but you guarantee a win.

I have it on the best authority that we make money with our D-2 home games even after the payout.

I am sure there's a little profit but if you do the math it's obvious that there's not room for a lot.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:36 pm 
UserName Retired

Crump1 wrote:
I have it on the best authority that we make money with our D-2 home games even after the payout.

I thought ASU was D2! :shock: :lol: :lol: Just kidding! [-o< :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:14 pm 
2nd Team

bb, I was correcting old bear on his generalization that "Our assistants are paid barely enough to house and feed their families" because I know some that are paid quite well. I'm sure we have some that aren't, like nearly every other school out there.
and as far as the stupid comments, uh you might... never mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:48 pm 
Team Captain

More of our assistant coaches make less than 35,000 than make more than 50,000.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I know when we were D2 hardly any of our head coaches made $50k.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:19 pm 
2nd Team

and how does that compare with other schools our size? about the same, I would imagine.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:16 pm 
UserName Retired

Heard that the proposal by the president of the BoT not to pay D2 schools anymore didn't even make it off the table to a vote. Thanks to the board members who didn't make the motion to vote on this preposterous motion.

Contracts were renewed for Conque, Daniel, and Williamson. I'm not quite sure what the Williams renewal means. He already has a three year contract and it's already renewed without his having even coached a game? Maybe I'm missing something here.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 am 
Team Captain

Coach Williamson's contract was just approved by the Board and the D2 proposal was by the Chair of the Board not the president.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:49 am 
UserName Retired

President, chairman - whatever. Point is, not one member made a motion to bring the proposal to a vote. Good for them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:53 am 
Redshirt

TO Old Bear,
If you get behind Meadors then your school will get deeper in debt, and academics (the reason for colleges) will crumble. Meadors ruined his old school (UNC Pembroke). Their bond rating went down, debt ended up being the highest in the system, and retention and graduation the lowest. Check it out if you don't believe me.

All he wants to do is the same cr*p he did there - do the fake brink sidewalks, fix up his house and spend your money on his 2000 per month cable and phone service. His wife runs things and he lets her to shut her up. THey make the Clinton's look like a newlywed set of love birds.

You will be spending a dollar per sf on the sidewalks to recoat them every year. That's an ONGOING expense. You lost the purple that was school tradition. Still want to "get beind our President?"

Wake up Bears and take your school back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:29 am 
Practice Squad

Honey Bear wrote:
Quote:
...truth is that budgets around the state and nation are suffering and some want to see athletics cut or forced to forfeit wins for cash.

No doubt a lot of truth to that statement. That being the case, universities should be putting pressure on the NCAA to allow the schools to drop the least revenue making sports to get close to budget. I'm sure there are 2-3 sports, probably more, at every school that are nothing but a ball and chain around the neck of their athletic departments.

Its not the NCAA that has to be lobbied. There is a LITTLE problem, Its called Title IX, it states in laymens terms that for every male scholarship you have to have a female scholarship.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Its not the NCAA that has to be lobbied. There is a LITTLE problem, Its called Title IX, it states in laymens terms that for every male scholarship you have to have a female scholarship.

Not quite true. :lol:

Here's the actual 3 pronged test that the NCAA uses to determine number of schollys for each school and compliance thereof.
Compliance is established by satisfying any one of these three tests:

The first test is a "safe harbor."
If a college or university can show that the numbers of male and female participants in its intercollegiate sports program are substantially proportionate to its male and female undergraduate enrollments, the institution will be found in compliance without further inquiry. How closely participation and enrollment rates must be
aligned is unclear. The courts have found that differences of 10.5 and approximately 12 percentage points between participation and enrollment rates do not constitute substantial proportionality. Further development of the law will be necessary before the permissible percentage variation will be known. However, it appears that with current female participation and enrollment rates, few institutions can meet this first test.

Many institutions also will have difficulty in meeting the second test. Most colleges and universities have greatly increased the size of their women's programs, but many have not added women's teams for a number of years. Financial constraints are forcing institutions to cut, rather than add, programs. Thus, the third test often will determine whether or not an institution will be found to be providing enough participation opportunities to comply with Title IX.

The third test, by its literal terms, requires a college or university to show that its existing intercollegiate athletic program "fully and effectively" accommodates the interests and abilities of members of the underrepresented sex—normally women. Throughout the history of the development and application of this test by OCR, it has been interpreted as requiring a showing that the interests and abilities of women are equally effectively accommodated, i.e., are accommodated to the same degree as the interests and abilities of men. However, recent court decisions have interpreted this third test more stringently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:59 am 
Two-Time All-American

Litigation protection is what drives actions in this area. There used to be a few state universities who would actually do emprical studies of what high schools in their states offered to girls and actual participation rates. Then they could add that data to the particpation rate of thier student body and often show they are more than meeting demand. For example, just to meet scholarhsip numbers it makes no sense to add girls rowing in Kansas since no high schools offer. The state university woud then have to offer a program solely for out of state students. However, I would imagine legal counsel explained that no jury would ever make that connection. It is just much easier to cut men's swimming, golf, tennis, soccer, etc.