It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just what this university needs...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:42 pm 
Starter

MChrisman wrote:
The Chrisman Clan has spot #23. We are so excited. What all do people bring for tailgating? We were planning on a table, chairs, tent, food, drinks, spirits, and lots of cheering. =D>

Fixed it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 pm 
Practice Squad

We are sooooooooo excited to have our first experience tailgating. We will probably seem like amatuers compared to you guys but we will give it a great effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Believe me you will be fine...just put up lots of Purple and you'll look like you've been doing it forever! Glad to have you

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:56 pm 
Redshirt

"If I have to hear or read one more article about his being a good husband and father I'm going to puke. I have no sympathy for those who have the world at their fingertips but then blow it all on poor judgements. Being good 90% of the time doesn't overshadow the 10% of being bad in my book."

This was the general attitude about another sports figure who was caught cheating last year. This was posted on this board and a little over half the posts were along the lines of this quote. I was shocked that so many were so quick to judgment of this guy and now, with Coach Conque, who did the same activities, these same people rush to his support. I think we SHOULD rush to his support but I find it highly hypocritical of certain members to vehemently attack one sports figure and trash his personal life, when they say Coach Conque's life is off limits.

To clarify, I fully support Coach Conque and feel that his life is HIS life. Every time I have met him I have walked away very impressed. This case just goes to show you that good people can mess up and we're all human.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:45 pm 
UserName Retired

To whom do you speak of?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:19 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Welcome to MChrisman and Idabearspappy to UCA and the board.....looking forward to another year of Bears football...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 pm 
UserName Retired

Breaking News: UCA trustee called before grand jury in Hardin probe (federal government has subpoenaed Rush Harding III)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Lie or mislead these boys and girls and one will find themselves in a heap of trouble. I'm no Perry Mason but grand juries aren't usually called unless some damning evidence is there to play with. Guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:09 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Use Amendment 33

Meredith Oakley

The time has long since passed for Amendment 33 of the Arkansas Constitution to be invoked.
Amendment 33 gives the governor the power to remove any member of a university governing board for cause, i.e., misfeasance, malfeasance, nonfeasance.
For well over a year we have been waiting for Gov. Mike Beebe to twist some tails on the University of Central Arkansas Board of Trustees, to impress upon members that they have a responsibility not only to the UCA community but to taxpayers. If he’s done anything, it’s been behind closed doors. But somehow I doubt that. Except for a few new faces, not much has changed at the Conway campus.
Last week we learned that a national accreditation team’s review of UCA operations found trustees seemingly uninformed and lacking in stewardship during the ill-fated presidency of former state Sen. Lu Hardin.
During Hardin’s expensive and self-aggrandizing reign, the team’s 51-page report noted, trustees “never asked the probing questions, never asked for detail behind the finances, never questioned the financial presentations they were given.” In short, they were a rubber stamp for whatever Hardin put before them.
The Hardin era is, of course, under investigation by the feds. According to the grapevine, the matter could be put before a federal grand jury within the next few days.
As troubling as the report was, it didn’t really tell us anything we didn’t already know or have every reason to suspect. It did, however, bring to mind something I wrote back in May of last year: “At some point, [Beebe is] going to have to clean house because, even if those running the show at UCA haven’t lost his confidence, they’ve lost public confidence, and the governor will lose some, too, if he doesn’t.”
I was speaking of the UCA Board of Trustees. Although some new members have been brought on board because their predecessors’ terms expired, the disengagement persists. When the evaluators from the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools visited UCA back in March, only three of the seven trustees made time to meet with them. Little wonder that the evaluators concluded that “It’s not apparent that the Board of Trustees as a group understands the task before them.”
To his credit, the new president, Allen Meadors, impressed the team otherwise. His administration, the report stated, “understands the task before it and has begun to undertake the difficult work of mending a campus and rebuilding on strengths.” That includes bringing fiscal stability and, one hopes, accountability to the entire operation.
But Meadors shouldn’t have to do it alone. Trustees are charged with directing the funds and the policy of an institution, not waiting for the president’s marching orders. If this lot isn’t any more interested in paying attention and exercising its authority than the last lot was, Beebe simply must take charge of the situation. Before the Nov. 2 election would be nice.
Speaking of that report, I was chagrined to learn that the UCA board had met in apparent violation of the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act to discuss it. The report, a copy of which our reporter Debra Hale-Shelton had to invoke the FOIA to acquire, is by no means something that under the law may be discussed in executive session. Such sessions are to be confined to “employment, appointment, promotion, demotion, disciplining or resignation of any public officer or employee.”
Although board chairman Harold Chakales denied that the report was discussed behind closed doors, two other trustees and a UCA spokesman confirmed that it was.
Let it be noted that Chakales’ attendance record for board meetings hasn’t been exactly stellar. Indeed, after two of the aforementioned evaluators “met” with him by telephone earlier this year, they reported that the conversation “was troubling” in that Chakales “seemed uninformed about the university” and “exhibited little understanding of the seriousness of the institution’s financial situation as a public institution. . . .”
Amendment 33, governor. Use it.

From the ADG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:03 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Although board chairman Harold Chakales denied that the report was discussed behind closed doors, two other trustees and a UCA spokesman confirmed that it was.

A rather damning statement about one's character and truthfulness.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:43 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA -- What now??

Quote:
Anyone know what this is all about?

From:Allen MeadorsFriday - September 17, 2010 5:31 PM To:*.*.*; Board of Trustees CC:dshameer@arkansasonline.com Subject:Setting the record straight Below is an e-mail that I received today from an Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reporter. Because of the seriousness of the accusation, I wanted to insure the Campus community that no one has had any personnel action against them for speaking anyone's name. And let me assure you that as long as I am President it will NEVER occur. As this sad rumor spreads, please inform our colleague there is not one thread of truth in this statement. Thank you __________________________________________________________________________________________
I was reviewing the chart you sent me last week. Were xxxx xxxx's* hours and rate of pay for those hours calculated before or after he was demoted for using my name on a public street/walkway? ... I have not talked to him, but this is no secret. Just needed to know. Thanks. Debra Debra Hale-Shelton Newswoman Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Conway Bureau 501-327-5671 _ _________________________________________________________________________________
*removed the name to not embarrass anyone. Allen C. Meadors,Ph.D. FACHE President The University of Central Arkansas 1-501-450-5286

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:44 pm 
UserName Retired

DHS, this makes you look so bad! You just got Pwned by the Prez! :lol: =D> :lol: =D>

For future reference, when you publish an article about UCA, we can refer to it as "was this before you got pwned by the prez, or after?" article. :lol: :lol:

Last edited by BearCountry on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:48 pm 
UserName Retired

This had nothing to do with students, professors - no one in education.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:50 pm 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
This had nothing to do with students, professors - no one in education.

That's good to hear. Guess content is running low at the rag. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:13 pm 
Redshirt

Really strange, did anyone notice after the damning article about Mr. Harding, she never wrote another word about the Grand Jury. I guess, if you can't slam the university or board, she's not interested in former President Hardin.