It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 Oxford American Music Edition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The Oxford American, based at UCA, publishes an annual Southern music edition that incudes a nice free CD of music. Below is a nice story about this year's edition featuring Alabama music (last year Arkaansas was featured). Granted the OA does not write articles on the virtues of the 4-3 vs the 3-4 or on how to use a tunnel screen best, but it is a nationally reknowned magazine based in Conway at UCA and is very creative in how they cover Southern culture. It is also very inexpensive to subscribe. Only $20 per year.

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20100926/NEWS/100929873/1011/NEWS?Title=Magazine-focuses-on-local-music-heritage

Magazine focuses on local music heritage

By Robert Palmer
Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 11:01 p.m.
Alabama's music heritage will earn national exposure at the end of the year when Oxford American magazine publishes its annual music issue. An important element in the issue, which includes a compact disc of music, will be the Muscle Shoals music industry.

The December issue will mark the 12th year the magazine has published an issue that focuses on Southern music. Beginning in 2009, the magazine began focusing the issue on one Southern state each year. This year, it's Alabama's turn in the spotlight.

“Muscle Shoals is the first place you think about when you think of Alabama music,” said Warwick Sabin, publisher of Oxford American, which is based at the University of Central Arkansas. “It was a creative exercise for ourselves to focus on one state. Marc Smirnoff, our editor, conceived the idea. He is very passionate about Southern music.”

Post subject: Re: 2010 Oxford American Music Edition
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:12 am 
UserName Retired

Here's something about the OA I bet you didn't know. They host a pregame football party before games for... you guessed it - the Hogs, when they play in Little Rock. Mr. Warrick Sabin delivered a swift kick to the teeth of UCA with this little stunt. That's a helluva payback to the university that gave the OA a home for several years and bailed them out financially at least a couple of times. Myself, I could care less about supporting the OA.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:14 am 
UserName Retired

HB, I noticed that on the news and thought..where are they at UCA games? Nice gesture on their part....not. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Warwick also runs a business and the audience is much larger at uaf games than ours.....sorry you care so little about OA that brings UCA a great deal of attention nationally in the literary field.....we have students who intern at OA which is great experience.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:38 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Warwick also runs a business

Yeah, thanks to UCA. I guess allegiance ain't what it use to be, huh?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:11 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Ok, you don't like like Warwick....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:30 am 
UserName Retired

Don't know the man personally so I don't know if I like him or not. What I don't like are the political appointments to a position that needs a qualified person to run that office - not some good friend. These people make the most money at UCA but yet know less about their job than the people they oversee. No wonder things stay in a state of turmoil around campus.