It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Financial recovery causes highest tuition rates in state
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 am 
UserName Retired

Financial recovery causes highest tuition rates in state

Quote:
The University of Central Arkansas ranks highest in tuition costs, but ranks third to last in room and board and sixth in overall direct costs when compared to all public schools in the state.
UCA’s yearly tuition is $6,908, above the University of Arkansas at $6,767, University of Arkansas at Little Rock at $6,642, Arkansas State University at $6,640 and Henderson State University at $6,440.
Vice President of Finance and Administration Diane Newton said she believes the slightly higher tuition is due to a lack of funding from the state.
UCA rates lowest on appropriations per student, the University of Arkansas receives $6,944 per FTE (full-time equivalent), or students with at least 12 hours, University of Arkansas in Little Rock receives $6,592, Arkansas State University receives $5,912, Henderson State University receives $5,964 and UCA coming in last with only $4,888 provided by information given by Newton.

Post subject: Re: Financial recovery causes highest tuition rates in state
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:13 pm 
UserName Retired

I wonder where our congressional reps from UCA are/were when the money was doled out. #-o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 pm 
Team Captain

That inequity was supposed to be fixed by "equity funding" until the recession hit in 2008 and funds were not available or frozen to try and level out those differences in funding. The facts can not be disputed. We have the largest traditional group of college students (FTE's from age 18 to 23) and we are funded dead last in terms of funding for FTE's. We are forced to do more with less and we do. Our remediation rates are the second lowest, our graduation rates are the second highest. Our enrollment has lagged a little the last two years as we have weaned ourselves purposely from too much scholarship money to get in line with state mandates on that issue. We will have managed growth going forward and have paying students. When you look at a student taking 16 hours, living on campus, UCA is considerably cheaper than UAF, ASU, or UALR. That is a fact and anything to the contrary is simply not true.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:28 pm 
Team Captain

It is a shame that the ADG thinks its ethical to twist the facts.
Thanks for the recap and update.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

There are no words for what I think of the adg anyway.

The funding disparity has been a disgrace for years. Jim Purcell at Higher Ed chastises UCA for giving money away to students (ie, generous scholarships) and not charging enough for a hgh quality education, then you get pummeled when you are limited on scholarship money and under-funded by The Ledge ...

I expect Purcell to go to adg in defense of UCA....but will not hold my breathe....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:58 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearsFan52 wrote:
There are no words for what I think of the adg anyway.

The funding disparity has been a disgrace for years. Jim Purcell at Higher Ed chastises UCA for giving money away to students (ie, generous scholarships) and not charging enough for a hgh quality education, then you get pummeled when you are limited on scholarship money and under-funded by The Ledge ...

I expect Purcell to go to adg in defense of UCA....but will not hold my breathe....

I have words for them...they suck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:38 pm 
Redshirt

joshuca wrote:
Financial recovery causes highest tuition rates in state

Quote:
The University of Central Arkansas ranks highest in tuition costs, but ranks third to last in room and board and sixth in overall direct costs when compared to all public schools in the state.
UCA’s yearly tuition is $6,908, above the University of Arkansas at $6,767, University of Arkansas at Little Rock at $6,642, Arkansas State University at $6,640 and Henderson State University at $6,440.
Vice President of Finance and Administration Diane Newton said she believes the slightly higher tuition is due to a lack of funding from the state.
UCA rates lowest on appropriations per student, the University of Arkansas receives $6,944 per FTE (full-time equivalent), or students with at least 12 hours, University of Arkansas in Little Rock receives $6,592, Arkansas State University receives $5,912, Henderson State University receives $5,964 and UCA coming in last with only $4,888 provided by information given by Newton.

Bottom line is we need more funding.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Even the legislature looks down their nose at us. This is pure and simple
profiling, and that is illegal as Ron White would say. I"M not real good in math,
but based on 11,000 students that comes to about $22 million, right?