It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hmmm....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Whether or not SGA gives any of its budget to athletics is up to SGA. Athletics, especially at D1 level, give schools more publicity among the general populace than any other single activity.

Does anyone think the fact that UCA leads the state in graduates' scores on Praxis 3 gets any attention? Or that UCA chemistry majors get admitted to med schools at a very high rate? Or that UCA's b-school has long been thought of highly? Or that UCA's PT program is among the best in the nation? Or that UCA school admin program is very high quality? Or that BMB and the entire music program is extremely good? Would we have a BMB without football? Not to mention the reputation of the Honors College?

It may not be fair but one 30 second report on KATV on Saturday might about the football game brings more attention to UCA than just about anything we do. On segment on 103.7 The Buzz does the same.

We have two former Bears playing on national television tonight at defensive end for the Titans and Jaguars. One mention of their alma mater gets more people exposed to UCA than anything else we have done this decade.

Harvard even has football and the last tme I looked they were not a cheap school to attend.

UCA is a real bargain for higher education.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:33 am 
UserName Retired

Here's the good news:
Quote:
Fort Smith pulled the highest percentage of its athletic funding from student athletic fees, followed by Arkansas Tech at 60 percent, the University of Arkansas at Little Rock at 58 percent and the University of Central Arkansas at 48 percent.

Quote:
In May, UCA’s board of trustees approved a $3-per credit-hour increase in athletic fees. As a result, the mandatory charge for students rose to $17 per credit hour, meaning the total per semester impact went from $210 to $255 for a student taking 15 hours.

Funds for athletics up 11%
Report shows colleges used state revenue for programs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearsFan52 wrote:
Whether or not SGA gives any of its budget to athletics is up to SGA. Athletics, especially at D1 level, give schools more publicity among the general populace than any other single activity.

Does anyone think the fact that UCA leads the state in graduates' scores on Praxis 3 gets any attention? Or that UCA chemistry majors get admitted to med schools at a very high rate? Or that UCA's b-school has long been thought of highly? Or that UCA's PT program is among the best in the nation? Or that UCA school admin program is very high quality? Or that BMB and the entire music program is extremely good? Would we have a BMB without football? Not to mention the reputation of the Honors College?

It may not be fair but one 30 second report on KATV on Saturday might about the football game brings more attention to UCA than just about anything we do. On segment on 103.7 The Buzz does the same.

We have two former Bears playing on national television tonight at defensive end for the Titans and Jaguars. One mention of their alma mater gets more people exposed to UCA than anything else we have done this decade.

Harvard even has football and the last tme I looked they were not a cheap school to attend.

UCA is a real bargain for higher education.

Amen my Bear Brother

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:30 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Once again this proves the necessity to recruit more members to the Purple
Circle. If we could get all alumni to give a measly 100 bucks a year to support
our athletic programs, just look where we would be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

How about all UCA graduates being given one year free of PCC memberships then phase in donations over 5 years to reflect their begiinng in the work world? Pay 20% in Yr 2 (of whatever level you desire) then 40%, then 60%, etc....

Post subject: They said no...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:32 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.myfountainonline.com/sga-no-money-to-athletics

SGA: No Money to Athletics
November 2, 2010 by: Allyson McNabb

The Student Government Association (SGA) won’t be giving the athletic department $30,000 after all.

SGA senators rejected an offer from the department to sign a five-year advertising and sponsorship contract. The senators debated the contract from more than two hours before voting against it, 14-20. The vote was taken Oct. 18.

Meghan Thompson, executive president of SGA, said the senate declined the deal because there was little student support for using the money to advertise SGA. The money would have come from SGA’s reserve account...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:40 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearsFan52 wrote:
How about all UCA graduates being given one year free of PCC memberships then phase in donations over 5 years to reflect their begiinng in the work world? Pay 20% in Yr 2 (of whatever level you desire) then 40%, then 60%, etc....

This idea, or something like it, may have merit.

I have passed this along to Brad and it will be discussed at the next meeting of the PCC Advisory Board Meeting.

Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:32 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearsFan52 wrote:

I think this is a good idea, but I have some questions:

What if they took the one free year and then backed out? would you then not
be required to have some kind of contract? What about tickets, are they to be
given away also or would the new members be required to purchase them?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

FOOT84 wrote:
BearsFan52 wrote:

a

I think the whole idea is to just get young alumni involved and use to being a part of the group and phase them in so they can get use to the fees every year. I think the potential loss would be a minimum risk. Most businesses lose money on their customers the 1st year or two in hopes of reaping from a long term relationship.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 am 
Two-Time All-American

FOOT84 wrote:
BearsFan52 wrote:

Tickets have to be purchased anyway seperate from the "Donation".

I believe in the end (at least it would be my suggestion) to offer discounted membership on a sliding scale but not free at anytime.

Anyone can come up with $20 to get credit for a $100 membership, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 am 
UserName Retired

The Alumni Assn. does this for new grads for the first year. Dues are $10 for the first year. Out of about 400 grad-to-be this Dec. that came thru Grad Central about 200 joined the AA. Should work for Purple Circle I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:31 am 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
The Alumni Assn. does this for new grads for the first year. Dues are $10 for the first year. Out of about 400 grad-to-be this Dec. that came thru Grad Central about 200 joined the AA. Should work for Purple Circle I hope.

That is an awesome percentage.