It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hmmm....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:11 am 
UserName Retired

Athletic Director Teague presents to SGA

Quote:
Brad Teague, athletic director, presented SGA with an opportunity to become corporate sponsors of the athletic program Monday at its weekly meeting.
Teague and Matt Jordan, director of marketing for athletics, said becoming corporate sponsors of their program would raise SGA brand awareness across campus.
“This is to put a brand on a board … if they don’t do it, someone else will,” Teague said after the presentation.
He said no other registered student organizations have the capacity for such an investment.

REPLY:

The Voice: Athletic department’s request for SGA advertising insulting to students

Quote:
The athletic department has discovered a new opportunity to squeeze money out of students, as if the athletic fee isn’t high enough already.
Student Government Association discussed a previously discussed proposal from Athletic Director Brad Teague at the Oct. 4 meeting: The athletic department has encouraged SGA to spend $30,000 to become a five-year corporate sponsor for UCA Athletics, for the sake of getting SGA’s name out to students. Teague and Matt Jordan, director of marketing and advertising for the athletic department, made a formal presentation to SGA at the Oct. 10 meeting, boasting that the advertising would “increase brand awareness” and “build the SGA brand.”

The student athletic fee is the highest per hour fee students pay, with the exception of tuition, and UCA has the most expensive athletic fee of all the major universities in the state, according to the Arkansas Department of Higher Education website. It’s bad enough being the school with the highest tuition, but the hefty athletic fee only adds insult to injury. If every team played as well as the Sugar Bears volleyball team, it might be a different question, but this department has only one outstanding team.

Post subject: Re: Hmmm....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 am 
UserName Retired

Poor students don't realize how underfunded UCA is with the State and how that would be reduced if that little discrepency changes. =D>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 pm 
All-Conference

joshuca wrote:
It’s bad enough being the school with the highest tuition, but the hefty athletic fee only adds insult to injury. If every team played as well as the Sugar Bears volleyball team, it might be a different question, but this department has only one outstanding team.
[/quote]

So if every athletic team was really good.....everyone would be okay with the cost of tuition and fees???? Regardless of whether or not Dr. Teague's presentation to SGA was appropriate or not, in my opinion, this statement exhibits horrible logic and is insulting to student athletes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
this statement exhibits horrible logic and is insulting to student athletes.

Being written by someone on the Echo staff, does this really surprise you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:23 pm 
Redshirt

BearCountry wrote:
Poor students don't realize how underfunded UCA is with the State and how that would be reduced if that little discrepency changes. =D>

Some of us do, however Joshuca has a valid point, we the students are overcharged for an athletics/PE program most of make no use of, can make no use of except for the required kped. The Athletic department just got an extra $800,000 in mandatory fees. Granted this time the athletic fee meant the department would be taking less from other departments and was approved at the same time as a library fee so that in the end academics benefited, but still....

However the athletics department has been living on the generosity of the rest of UCA for a long time, SGA should have gotten the spot for free. There is something troubling about the whole thing, in how they approached the SGA and thus the student body as a resource to be tapped. Athletics should support the university's mission, it should not be the other way around.

Also its more f'ing fuel on the fire for ADG and its campaign to ruin UCA. UCA can't afford controversy right now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Just for clarification, I didn't say anything. I just posted the article from the Echo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 pm 
Redshirt

my apologies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 pm 
Two-Time All-American

raverbear wrote:
Some of us do, however Joshuca has a valid point, we the students are overcharged for an athletics/PE program most of make no use of, can make no use of except for the required kped.

I've noticed a high percentage of obese students that can and SHOULD make use of our PE programs and facilities.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:13 pm 
Redshirt

UCAMonkey wrote:
raverbear wrote:
Some of us do, however Joshuca has a valid point, we the students are overcharged for an athletics/PE program most of make no use of, can make no use of except for the required kped.

I've noticed a high percentage of obese students that can and SHOULD make use of our PE programs and facilities.

Perhaps, but a focus on education would allow them to get a good job and afford a gym membership lol. I'm not saying athletics do not have a role to play on campus, only that it should be a supporting role. I think long term the $3 per credit hour library fee will pay off for the average student many times more than the much higher Athletic fee. The average student gets more from walking to class than from the Hyper.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:30 pm 
Two-Time All-American

raverbear wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:
raverbear wrote:

Perhaps, but a focus on education would allow them to get a good job and afford a gym membership lol. I'm not saying athletics do not have a role to play on campus, only that it should be a supporting role. I think long term the $3 per credit hour library fee will pay off for the average student many times more than the much higher Athletic fee. The average student gets more from walking to class than from the Hyper.

Schools have been simultaneously cutting athletics/PE from their curriculum from the K-12 and our nation has seen obesity skyrocket ever since. The average student is now overweight. Mind , body and spirit are all an essential part of universal and balanced education. Athletics is definitely great entertainment but it should be viewed as a vessel to promoting fitness and education.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:39 am 
Redshirt

UCAMonkey wrote:
Schools have been simultaneously cutting athletics/PE from their curriculum from the K-12

A sad state of affiars, even worse, for too many kids the sandlot games are gone. When I was a kid in the 80's our weekends were spent playing basketball, football, baseball, bike races, camping trips, swimming etc, we were very active because that was the only way to connect.

Quote:
and our nation has seen obesity skyrocket ever since.

careful here, part of that is changing clinical standards rather than changing body mass. Other parts of it are genetic. Only a part is actual weight gain and that is as much diet as exercise.

Quote:
The average student is now overweight.

But not as overweight as its portrayed and there are other factors, you can track recent weight gain trends with a decline in smoking.

Quote:
Mind , body and spirit are all an essential part of universal and balanced education.

Absolutely, but if balanced is the key word, why are the athletic fees out of balance with academic related fees?

Quote:
Athletics is definitely great entertainment but it should be viewed as a vessel to promoting fitness and education.

The cost of intramural programs yes, multi-million dollar sports teams closed to the average student- no t so much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:06 am 
All-American

Quote:

I went to more sporting events more than I did the library while at UCA, so screw the library that money should go to athletics too :P j/k ... but seriously though if they don't use the hyper its their fault, just like the medical facility (which I never used). You didn't see me complaining about having to pay a fee for that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 am 
Redshirt

GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:
Quote:
but seriously though if they don't use the hyper its their fault, just like the medical facility (which I never used). You didn't see me complaining about having to pay a fee for that.

its not just the hyper, the Athletic fee (largest on campus and largest in the state) has most of the money it generates go to just a few student athletes, and is not accessible by the majority of students. Any athlete can use the library, any student can use the health center, not every student has access to the equipment, perks and other benefits accorded to student athletes- yet they still have to pay for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:11 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Any athlete can use the library, any student can use the health center, not every student has access to the equipment, perks and other benefits accorded to student athletes- yet they still have to pay for them.

Say hey, that's pretty much how I feel about having to pay a third of my local taxes in school millage for being a property owner but yet I have no kids going to public schools. Fair enough though because I don't want to see a dumber than we already have group of kids coming out of high school. If only all tax payers paid millage instead of just property owners things would seem to be more fair.

Of course we both have options. I can sell the house and land and go rent somewhere and a student can choose another university where they feel like their money is being spent more wisely.

Me, I'm staying. How about you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:47 pm 
All-Conference

raverbear wrote:
GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:
Quote:
but seriously though if they don't use the hyper its their fault, just like the medical facility (which I never used). You didn't see me complaining about having to pay a fee for that.

its not just the hyper, the Athletic fee (largest on campus and largest in the state) has most of the money it generates go to just a few student athletes, and is not accessible by the majority of students. Any athlete can use the library, any student can use the health center, not every student has access to the equipment, perks and other benefits accorded to student athletes- yet they still have to pay for them.

That's not really analogous at all. Students get free admission to sporting events and those programs are the front porch of a university. The student athletes are WORKING in that department and they work their tails off. Do other students want to practice and work out in the heat like a full time job and go out there and get knocked around on Saturdays?

A better analogy would be that students pay the fees for the library and health center but they don't get to mop up the place or take out the trash like the employees.

Chargin the SGA seems a little odd to me as well, but the complaint about student athletes getting the benefit of the athletic programs and not the other students misses the mark in my opinion.