It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Administration’s assurance of transparency may be forgotten
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:47 am 
UserName Retired

The Voice Administration’s assurance of transparency may be forgotten

Quote:
When President Allen Meadors came to UCA, the people of this university had high hopes for him and his new administration. Many of these hopes came from the promises Meadors made upon his arrival. We’re concerned that the administration, one said to be “transparent,” hasn’t been doing everything in its power to keep it’s actions honest and available to the public.

Check out President Meador's comment...

Post subject: Re: Administration’s assurance of transparency may be forgot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:35 pm 
Redshirt

The president has always been straight forward with the campus.
He holds open forums and is very approachable. The administration
has not tried to hide anything from us. I wonder if the echo
staff has ever gone and ask president meadors about their
questions or just accepted the crazy articles in the Gazette
as the truth?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:44 pm 
UserName Retired

susie starfish wrote:
I wonder if the echo
staff has ever gone and ask president meadors about their
questions or just accepted the crazy articles in the Gazette
as the truth?

I think we all know the answer to this...
I just don't understand how someone can take random quotes from another newspaper, through them together, and call it an article. Not once does she ever mention trying to directly contact the source, when he pretty much lives in her back yard!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 pm 
UserName Retired

This brand of journalism makes me sick. In the "old days" you got a tip and investigated that tip by going to the sources. You would NEVER publish something until you got ALL sides to the story! Even if the angle of the story was once negative, things change and people bring a new "story" to every tip. A sit down session with Meadors would have cleared all this up! Wow! Pick up the freakin' phone and say hello. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry...wow you missed some new age journalism classes ...the idea today is to blindside people and try to entrap ....research? Well, that just takes time and besides, when getting to the truth is not your objective, why gather facts?

As to the line of credit ....virutally every financially sound business has backup lines they NEVER expect to draw on but have in event of an emergency (such as when state revenues come up short and funding to higher ed is cut) ...you always get lines when you are in good shape because they are much harder to come by when you really need them....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:48 pm 
Team Captain

I am a little disappointed in the young lady that wrote that article. The line of credit was approved in open session. It is simply there if needed. It has not been drawn on in almost two years. The approval of it is recorded in the minutes. Surely she knows that Moody's is the most respected evaluator of creditworthiness in the world. Our credit rating has been upgraded twice in the last 12 months. The FOI issue was a mistake that the Board immediately acknowledged and admitted. We opened a packet that the President told us to take home before opening, discussed it in private when we should not have. The President hushed us up immediately. Debra Hale Shelton asked me when I first saw the report and I did not lie, I said, " in Executive Session." As frustrated as I sometimes get with DHS I think she will tell anyone that I have always returned her calls and I have never lied to her. Our administrative team is cohesive and honest and they care about the school. Can't we move forward together and stop creating our own negative karma.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 pm 
All-American

What I find funny is that anyone is wasting their time discussing the ECHO. When I attended the paper was nothing more than a bunch of grammatical errors and people writing about stuff they knew nothing about. If it weren't for the police beat this newspaper would only have one use, toilet paper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:02 am 
UserName Retired

When I was on staff, the paper and the yearbook won statewide awards. Everything mattered. Today's rag can't even get enough people to fill the staff. #-o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Do not know if Echo won awards in 60s/70s but they covered campus events pretty well. I have read a lot of back issues in the Library Archives. It was pretty folksy (ie, not sophisticated) but you could keep up with what was going on and sports were all covered pretty well.