It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legitimate beef?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:20 am 
UserName Retired

Was reading LCD online and a poster complained about the UCA band not being in the Christmas parade. He said UCA always wants businesses and Conwaynians (? :) ) to support the school by "painting the town purple" and with their attendance at functions and ball games. He thought the least that UCA could do to show some support for the town and parade was to have the band present. Said he didn't know when the last time the UCA band participated.

I think there is some merit to his gripe. Support goes both ways or there tends to be no support either way.

Post subject: Re: Legitimate beef?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:10 pm 
All-Conference

ABSOLUTELY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:06 pm 
UserName Retired

It's finals week! I don't think the band is allowed to go do "public" shows when the week is restricted to academics only (dead week this week? anybody know?). Something about needing to pass classes to be able to come back next semester....especially those band kids....LOL :lol:

December 10, Friday

Study Day

December 11, Saturday

Final Exams - Saturday classes

December 13-17, Mon - Fri

Final Examinations - day and night classes

December 18, Saturday

Winter Commencement

December 20, Monday-NOON

Final grades report date

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:20 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Doesn't stop the basketball teams from playing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:13 pm 
UserName Retired

I think the difference is baskteball is "school related" and a city parade is "nonschool related". Sound good? ( I made that one up myself) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:49 pm 
Redshirt

Hello all,

I try to be a reader and not a poster but this needs some clarification. The bands always enjoy supporting our community as well as our university. We always march in our Faulkner County Fair Parade, did a performance with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band downtown for arts fest as well as performing at the Region 7 marching contest (Conway, Vilonia, and Greenbrier are in this region), as well as performances for over 20 other high school bands totaling outreach to Arkansas high school students in the thousands.

All of this in addition to performances at all football and mens and womens basketball home games. Our members are first and foremost students. This week is a time for academics and they must concentrate on their studies. While many of these students have the "practice" and performance requirements similar to that of our athletes, they do not have the academic support structure (ie tutors, advisors, or study areas) that many of our athletes do. Most band students are involved in as many as 4 other ensembles in our department as well as their course load. Therefore, I feel we ask enough of them and at this time of year they need to concentrate on what they are really here to do.......study and get a degree

I think Christmas parades are a wonderful community event and enjoy them as a spectator, but the BMB will not be involved in them.

I appreciate all of the great support we get from the members of this board and from the greater UCA and Conway community. I wanted to present you the facts so that you can help me clarify any misconceptions among your friends and neighbors as to why we are not involved this time of year.

Thanks, Merry Christmas, and GO BEARS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:42 am 
UserName Retired

Thanks for the clarification ssmyth.
I think it is fair to say that the BMB/Purple Rage does plenty around the community all throughout the school year, that them not being in the Christmas parade this close to finals is understandable.
I mean the Purple Rage even played at the opening of the new theater...Large crowd gets early look at new Cinemark theater