It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BoT meeting 2/25/11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:41 pm 
UserName Retired

Was told the board gave approval for field turf, weight room, and skyboxes. Harding was pushing unique field turf.

Post subject: Re: BoT meeting 2/25/11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:16 pm 
UserName Retired

Alright! I know athletics can be very expensive to fund, but I want to do my part. UCA has provided me nearly a quarter of a century of enjoyment and I'll figure out a way to give, even in these hard times. Thanks to all who do give! =D>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:42 pm 
Team Captain

Skyboxes, weight training facility, new turf all got approved along with many other meaningful projects. The campus and the meeting had a buzz about it which is great. Our balance sheet is in the best shape ever, student leaders are smiling and cooperative, it was a good day. I think loud purple would be a little too much. Gray with purple accents would be different, not too out there, and identify UCA well. Traditional green with purple accents just doesn't do it for me. I suggested to Brad to set up a vote on this site with three options. We need a lot of input, this new look will be great for the fans, the students, and the team. I want a classy, 3000 to 3500 seat arena, with awesome dressing rooms, coaches offices, and administrative offices, and training facilities for basketball. I would like to get that done before my swan song. The emphasis should be on a smaller but boisterous atmosphere and all the dressing rooms and training rooms be first class, as good as they get. Put the money in those areas instead of too many seats. Wouldn't a winning program and 3000 sold out seats be a great problem to have? A long term goal, but it can happen. BRAD TEAGUE IS THE BEST. I WANT HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN TO KEEP FALLING IN LOVE WITH CONWAY. THAT IS OUR BEST CHANCE OF KEEPING HIM LONG TERM!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 pm 
UserName Retired

All of that sounds great Old Bear!
I 150% agree that we need to put the turf issue up for a vote (let people pick their favorite mock up) by students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Especially if we are going to make it a colored turf of some form. Just to provide some kind of consensus on who likes the idea or not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 pm 
Team Captain

Let's get some color renditions up on the site and the school's website and get some input! Exciting times at UCA. The new outdoor amphitheater in front of the student center is going to be really nice as well. The students really wanted it and it happened. Proud to be a BEAR!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

We are fortunate to have Brad and his vision and practical abilities....good things continue to happen....

Yes, I would rather have a great 3500 seat arena filled for the Bears and SBears than 4000 empty setas out of 5000...of course, I would rather have 5000 filled seats but we are not there yet....

Any report on the academic side?

Interesting news that Jim Purcell at Higher Ed Board leaves for 50% pay increase in Louisiana while Legislature mulls over this new State Board for all public schools in place of BoTs....that would be a mistake. ...Purcell seemed to revel in critiquing UCA .....must be more than meets the eye when media reports a "brilliant person leaves" and others mention difficulty in communicatiing with colleges....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:06 am 
Team Captain

I just want what is best for UCA. I am not sure our state legislature can make those decisions as well as a group of stakeholders that care about the University. However, I don't think Joe Purcell had it in for UCA necessarily, I think we went through a tough period on his watch and started out with a bit of a target on us. I would imagine that Joe ruffled some feathers in the Northwest and as a result he moves southward with a nice pay increase. All of AR is very fortunate to have Shane Broadway fill that post. He speaks Arkansan, he knows the landscape and all of the players well. I think Joe Purcell is a professional who always tried to do what he felt was right. I wish him well in his new position south of the border.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:32 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
stakeholders

Definition please?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:06 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Quote:
stakeholders

Definition please?

Those with vested interest in UCA.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:31 pm 
Practice Squad

It is so great to see the University moving forward, new residence hall, new turf for the football, baseball,and softball fields; new video board, redone floor and scoreboard in Farris; new sidewalks; new roofs all over campus; skyboxes; a new nursing building in partnership with Conway Regional; a new track; a new business building; a totally renovated Meadors Hall; a soon to be new amphitheater; upgrade computer systems and new computers; and so on. All done or started in the last year . It's great to have a president that is one of us and doesn't let the newspaper run the university. I see him at Reynolds performances, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, football and other athletic contests. I see him out on campus talking with students and staff. My wife says he eats in the cafeteria 3-4 times a week with the students.

The Board has really stepped up and shown they are a real champions for the University and students. How about Old Bear and the Board putting up $225,000 to go with the student's $50.000, so the Student could have their amphitheater now!

My wife was at the Board meeting and she said there was an incredible positive attitude during Friday's meeting. She sensed for the first time a real team (administration and board along with the faculty, staff and students) was coming together.

What was this about a President's residence committee? She didn't get all of that when it was announced. She said that the committee was there and introduced? I heard it was in really poor condition.

To the Board and administration, don't let the ADG stop the university's progress by letting their ridiculous articles slow us down. Lets hope this new pride and progress goes on forever. Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The ADG does not make UCA friends feel bad about things but it gives critics ammunition and that is never helpful wihen the Ledge is in session......if you do not live in central Arkansas, please make sure your local state reps and senators know you think UCA does a good job and is a valuable asset for the state...basically all the ADG did was quote the fellow from Crossett who was critical of the sidewalks spending....lots of good things going on and great potential...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:30 am 
All-Conference

Bearsbrothers2 wrote:
It is so great to see the University moving forward, new residence hall, new turf for the football, baseball,and softball fields; new video board, redone floor and scoreboard in Farris; new sidewalks; new roofs all over campus; skyboxes; a new nursing building in partnership with Conway Regional; a new track; a new business building; a totally renovated Meadors Hall; a soon to be new amphitheater; upgrade computer systems and new computers; and so on. All done or started in the last year . It's great to have a president that is one of us and doesn't let the newspaper run the university. I see him at Reynolds performances, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, football and other athletic contests. I see him out on campus talking with students and staff. My wife says he eats in the cafeteria 3-4 times a week with the students.

The Board has really stepped up and shown they are a real champions for the University and students. How about Old Bear and the Board putting up $225,000 to go with the student's $50.000, so the Student could have their amphitheater now!

My wife was at the Board meeting and she said there was an incredible positive attitude during Friday's meeting. She sensed for the first time a real team (administration and board along with the faculty, staff and students) was coming together.

What was this about a President's residence committee? She didn't get all of that when it was announced. She said that the committee was there and introduced? I heard it was in really poor condition.

To the Board and administration, don't let the ADG stop the university's progress by letting their ridiculous articles slow us down. Lets hope this new pride and progress goes on forever. Go Bears!

Well said! Thanks for a great and very positive post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 am 
Team Captain

Thanks for the positive input. I am reinvigorated and pumped. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 am 
Team Captain

I am going to write a letter to the editor at the ADG and point out the negative slant that their local reporter always puts on every story about UCA especially when there is so many good things happening out there. Off to church, can you imagine her reporting on a church sermon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:26 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
the negative slant that their local reporter always puts on every story

Hammer, meet nail. Just like Ms. Shelton's article yesterday with the headline about the 510 grand for the sidewalks. Very controversial (about the sidewalks) to say the least but she made it a point to lead with a big number headline as opposed to a "feel good" headline just to draw attention to her article. She pretty much thrives on these kind of articles and headlines as we have become accustomed to. Always looking for something controversial to headline a story with must be rewarding for some people no doubt. I guess in some people, seeing the bad in everything is easier to recognize than accepting the good that is presented to everyone.