It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA's Baum Gallery gets nnw Director
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:45 pm 
Two-Time All-American

http://blog.al.com/artbeat/2011/05/artbeat_gps_view_of_a_shifting.html

ARTNOTES: Longtime readers of ArtBeat will remember Barclay McConnell, who in 2006 enjoyed a brief but memorable run as curator for Space 301. She is leaving North Carolina to become director and curator of the Baum Gallery of Art at the University of Central Arkansas, “a wonderful set of university galleries just north of Little Rock.”

UCA is “a beautiful, well-loved and academically rigorous school,” says McConnell, who also will teach a class each semester in museum studies, art history or art appreciation. “I have also proposed a class that would teach art students how to market themselves and their work, approach curators and gallery owners, etc.,” she says.

In addition, McConnell likely will work on the creation of an off-campus gallery in the nearby downtown area currently undergoing revitalization.

“My new colleagues are incredibly welcoming and talented,” she says. “My start date is June 20, so it will be a quick transition. As sad as I am to leave Durham, which is an amazing community, I cannot pass up this terrific opportunity. It is a perfect fit for me and a big career step. I will finally be able to afford to come visit some of you folks!”

The arts are well supported and well funded in at Central Arkansas, she says. “They have a terrific artist in residence (program) that brings world-class artists in all of the arts. I am thrilled to be part of it all.”McConnell says the change of scenery will be beneficial.

“The best part about all of this is that I am finally going to be working with people who are not only talented professionals, but they are kind to one another,” she says. “I have never worked anywhere where the mutual support and collegiality is so apparent. A healthy work environment makes all the difference in the world, as you well know.”