It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: $700,00 donation - with a string
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA Board schedules special meeting

Quote:
The University of Central Arkansas Board of Trustees has scheduled a telephone meeting at 3 p.m. today and it is expected to move quickly into executive session.

This can only mean the Board will be discussing the employment of President Allen Meadors. It is unlikely that it will be considering a motion to give him a pay raise.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 pm 
UserName Retired

I'd imagine Roy and Dale are warming up somewhere with their #1 hit. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:12 pm 
UserName Retired

He's gone!
UCA Board buying out president's contract

Quote:
UPDATE: The UCA Board of Trustees today voted unanimously to buy out the contract of embattled president Allen Meadors and voted to name Tom Courtway as interim president.

The Board will pay Meadors through the end of this year with state money and then pay him another $337,000 with private money. He'll stay on university insurance through the end of the fiscal year June 30. Otherwise, his car alllowance will end Oct. 1. The university also will allow Meadors' parents, who've been renting a house on a campus, to remain there for 90 days. Meadors has until Oct. 1 to vacate his university paid housing. Given that his state-paid salary is about $225,000, the amount he'll be paid the remainder of this fiscal year, plus the additional 18 months of salary make the cash settlement in pay alone worth roughly $525,000.

Meadors has resigned immediately in return for the deal.

Board chairman Scott Roussel said afterward it was an "unfortunate situation" that the Board had tried to handle "appropriately" and it was an attempt for university to move forward.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:43 pm 
UserName Retired

Good. A man in his position shouldn't make that kind of a mistake - if that is what it was.

To the BOT, good judgement and good execution. The will of the people warranted this decision and thank you for carrying it out. Maybe now some people will see that you and we are serious about turning this university around and gaining back some respect that the UCA community deserves.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:27 pm 
Team Captain

Thank you HB, please help others understand that no money after this year will be diverted from scholorships, or purple circle, or from general unrestricted funds at the Foundation. A few folks that wanted to get rid of this situation to help the school put it behind them will fund every cent without diluting all the other things they do for the University. Thank you again for the honest, black and white, direct way you view everything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:53 am 
UserName Retired

I think when anyone finds out they have been hoodwinked then they do tend to be a little direct. As stated in one of your other posts I too don't understand the animosity toward the whole board concerning the issue. One board member was at questionable fault in this incident. That can be dealt with. The other six were aboveboard in their actions of the matter and rightfully so. I try to put myself in the position of a board member wondering what I would have done. In this case, I would have been offended, upset, mad, etc. the same as you guys were. Would have also asked for the president's resignation.

The buyout part - not knowing what his contract says I have to put my faith in the board to make the right decision there. Eventhough contracts are in black and white they somehow always get interpreted two different ways. I will say though that in the future any contracts we sign with any employee of UCA has a clause in it that if the employee is at fault of the agreement of a contract than we don't need to pay out "appeasement" money to make the guilty party happy.

Maybe we could start a trend where the guilty party should pay back some money as part of their retribution for violating their contract. Yeah I know, will never happen but in my black and white world it only seems fair. Rewarding people for doing something wrong, well, let's just say that is wrong. I know where I work that when an employee gets fired he goes home with empty pockets. Why should this be any different?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:14 pm 
Practice Squad

There seems to be a lot of comments about this type of deal stinking, yet all Universities do it? It is money that the Universities wouldn't get if they turned it down. It is beyond any obligation owed these universities based upon their contracts with these providers, so I think we ought to put that one to bed. Now, the board not knowing, I agree that was a major error on someone part. Did the Chair say he wanted to tell everyone or did the President say he wanted to keep a secret? Why would the Chair not tell other board members? Was the president told to tell the other board member and didn't or? Haven't quiet been able to follow that one.

this from another post.

"Ok, let me follow the steps, the food service company gave a letter to the Finance person, they shared it with the president (their boss) and the president shared it with the Board Chair (their boss). And we're told this is a legal proposal, maybe it is not one everyone approves of, but it legal done by UAF, UALR,ASU, UAM, etc. So where are the unethical and illegal stuff? Sounds like the communication chain broke down along the way."

On another part of this, I really think the campus is looking great. We have always had a beautiful campus but we are moved up another notch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:07 pm 
UserName Retired

I think it is common in the sense that a formal bid might make a commitment to something the BOT has identified as an unfunded priority and the donation in effect is a price reduction. I rarely like these type deals as it is cleaner to just give your best offer and let the BOT decide how to spend any profits from the contract. Since I have no idea of the facts other than via the media which is not alays a good wway to get info, I am confused by how this came about.

Glad to see the BOT not accept this conduct. Tahnks to Tom for agreeing to serve as interim president.