It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Integrity at stake
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:35 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
You're making an assumption that when the contract information was made to the board in December that the chair and administration wouldn't provide all the options.

Why would anyone assume that they wouldn't provide all the options. I would expect them to provide all the options.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:52 pm 
Practice Squad

Just reflecting of your previous post

"You're making an assumption that when the contract information was made to the board in December that the chair and administration wouldn't provide all the options.

Honey Bear

"Why would anyone assume that they wouldn't provide all the options. I would expect them to provide all the options."

"But the board makes their decisions based on these individuals plus other people's opinions also. That's why the board is trying to defend itself in this case - they made a decision on some other people's sayso. If the board is going to have to research every opinion presented to them to see if it's true or not before acting on it then why do we need a president or vice president to run the school. These officials are paid good money to be most ethical and/or intelligent in making their decisions and recommending them to the board. As of now, we're 0 for 2 in that category"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:46 pm 
UserName Retired

I don't see what you're driving at.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:35 pm 
Team Captain

More from the Legislative hearings

Home : News 16 : UA Chancellor: "Bidding food service contracts doesn't save money"

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Legislators have tough questions for colleges and universities about no bid vendor contracts. This after the deal that led to the resignation of UCA president Allen Meadors two weeks ago. Legislators today at the capitol looking at ways universities can contain costs and slow the rate of college tuition
growth. It didn’t take long for attention to turn to UCA and its food service contract that led to its president resigning on September 2nd.

Every higher education institution that appeared before the joint Higher Education Subcommittee answering the same questions about food service contracts and any benefits derived from them. Chancellor David Gearhart telling the committee U of A
extends their contract without bidding it out on a regular basis and he says it is a good deal for students. And he added its all public information.

"I think it is very important for the media, for the people of Arkansas to know that there hasn't been anything done that is illegal, improper or shady," Gearhart says. "We believe that it is not possible for a food service vendor to "gig" a university by increasing their amounts simply because we already know what other places are paying.” Gearhart says that keeps the university in good competitive standing and eliminates the need to put the contract out for competitive bidding. But committee co-chairman Senator Sue Madison (D-Fayetteville) cited the UCA arrangement of student service money paying for renovations to the president's house when she told Gearhart that illegality isn't the issue, its public perception. "It would be like your vendor giving some of the revenue that they made from students to buy you a nicer car," Madison says. "That wouldn't be appropriate. And that's what we're looking for."

Gearhart added nothing like that is happening in Fayetteville. Chartwell is the food service vendor at the U of A. Gearhart says the university most recently extended the contract in 2008 and the vendor spent $5 million on providing new food services for students.

What no one seems to be talking about is Aramark offered the money to make improvements on the areas of the President's Home that they used in their role as food service providers. The kitchen and entertainment areas. In their mind this was no different than money they put into other dining and meeting areas ($1.6M in the Student Center a few years ago, for example). This was for the dining and entertainment flow, nothing that a president could take with them when they left.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:39 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
As of now, we're 0 for 2 in that category.

I know you are just popping off but we are at least 2-2 with Silas Snow and Jeff Farris....I did not know Win Thompson.

I suspect Doyne, Torreyson, McAlister and Irby were pretty solid. So maybe we are 7-2.

As for the Aramark deal, it seems to me it is not a matter of the contract that is the issue but how the terms were presented (or not), or maybe how reported in the media.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
I know you are just popping off

Uh, no I'm not. Just stating a fact pertinent to the topic of this thread. I know you're just popping off about my popping off so no harm done. :wink: