It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Faulty look for savings in Division II
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 am 
All-Conference

We beat the #3 team in the country last week and then this stupid story pops up and dominates the newsfeed.

I'm sick of the division between the departments at UCA. It's time for every one at our beloved university to pull together for a common cause.

Figure it out and get on the same page people. Way too much at stake here.

I love this university from top to bottom. Let's get it together.

From the hills and from the lowlands,
Comes the song of praise anew;
Sung by thousands of our children,
Alma Mater we sing to you.
Then we'll unfurl our colors the Purple and the Gray
And in the breezes see them ever proudly sway;
They lead us upward, they lead us onward,
They lead us to victory (Go Bears!).
Then let us gather round with loyal hearts and true,
Our Alma Mater's call OBEY;
Our dear old colors will live forever,
The Royal PURPLE and the GRAY.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 pm 
All-American

Its the news way of keeping the focus off of how good the UCA football program. Can't have any hogs fans turning away from their crap season to go watch a game in Conway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:44 pm 
Practice Squad

GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:
Its the news way of keeping the focus off of how good the UCA football program. Can't have any hogs fans turning away from their crap season to go watch a game in Conway.

If UCA goes back down to Div 2, I will stop giving my money to the school! I enjoy good football and for twenty years supported the hogs. If I want to watch Div 2 football I will simply give all my money to Bentonville High School football because it would basically be the same as Div 2. This past year my entire family have become fans of UCA and have traveled to all the games even when not at home. We have bought our UCA clothing, concessions and made a conscience effort to make sure our financial support is going to UCA. This is coming from people that are alumni from the UofA. Education means everything to us... But let's get it correct we can still enjoy our sports too! Stop trying to keep UCA from building their athletic program that in the end will generate more cash flow for the university as a whole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It's about practicing your chosen profession. As a coach, you ARE practicing your trade. As a college teacher, well, you know the saying "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:03 pm 
UserName Retired

Teaching in itself can be a very honorable profession. Names like Behrens, Kirkwood, Kinzer, Moseley, Farris, Burks, Nutter and others come to mind.

There are those in the Family who want to return to a nice, quiet little 5000 student school who knows its place in the world. There are also faculty who believe they run the university although they take none of the headaches (and risks) of administration and trustees.

The best thing for athletics is to breakeven and eventually get to paying a dividend back to the university general budget. That means more ticket sales and PCC donors.

Another good thng would be for academics to help develop donors to supplement the seemingly ever dwindling state funding. Some do work hard in this area and are to be commended. I think our deans understand the importance of donor development. Not so sure about faculty.

Of course, if everyone would buy more Arkansas Lottery tickets more money would find its way here (and allow the Ledge to cut spending further!!). Get used to money arguments as with the impact of Obamacare on state Medicaid costs, the Ledge will be faced with cutting higher ed spending or closing prisons...those are about all that is left after HHS.

The Log Cabin Democrat story hit a nerve no doubt just mentioning merit in athletics vs merit in academia.

Go Bears and SugarBears
D1

Last edited by JRK on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:52 pm 
UserName Retired

Faculty committee plans dive into athletic's budget

Quote:
“We are not going to recommend or review any move back to Division II — that train has left the station,” Brian Bolter, chairman of the committee investigating the UCA Athletic Department. “We’ve moved too far to go back.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 am 
All-American

Funny how KATV didn't pick up on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Funny how overworked faculty have time for useless studies...how much of my tax dollars are going to this waste?