All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA officials answer questions surrounding athletics
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 am 
UserName Retired

UCA officials answer questions surrounding athletics

Post subject: Re: UCA officials answer questions surrounding athletics
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am 
UserName Retired

How freakin' petty. I just love the last question.

It is reported that Bear Hall is full of student athletes. Is this the case?

Only 19 or 5% of Bear hall are student athletes.

The list of questions in that could have been reduced by 90% with a little intelligent understanding by that person.

1. How athletics is funded.
2. How former actions of purchasing created a real debt and how it is now gone.

Glad our prez could straighten those concerns out. Geez. They turned it into an agenda on the local news and papers when all they had to do was go ask. Great job faculty rumor mongers. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:27 pm 
All-American

Wow some of these questions are moronic, and these are professors????

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 pm 
All-Conference

GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:

There is some confusion surrounding the sport of "Football" This faculty committee doesn't see a resemblance to a human foot at all when looking at the ball used in the playing of this sport. Can you provide a Memorandum of Understanding to this committee explaining why the sport is not called "Oblong Ball" or possibly "Bounces Funny Ball"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
UserName Retired

It seems like this committee just doesn't understand how an athletic department is different than an academic department. They are two separate beasts and are handled as such.
They appear to want to stir the pot because they see that the athletic department is getting more and more attention, which takes attention away from the academic side of things. It looks (to me) as though want to take athletics down a notch to shift the attention back to them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:48 pm 
All-American

foundingfather wrote:
GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:

There is some confusion surrounding the sport of "Football" This faculty committee doesn't see a resemblance to a human foot at all when looking at the ball used in the playing of this sport. Can you provide a Memorandum of Understanding to this committee explaining why the sport is not called "Oblong Ball" or possibly "Bounces Funny Ball"

People in my office are looking at me funny after I busted out laughing at this comment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 pm 
All-Conference

Stupid questions.

Perhaps they should attend a game?

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:47 pm 
UserName Retired

I guess what frustrates me the most is the fact that these faculty didn't even approach the prez to ask these questions in person but rather made a media blitz out of it with NO justification. If I did that at my job, I'd be fired. Which reminds me of another benefit faculty have that coaches don't...tenure. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I have the solution...just drop athletics all together and see how much money
is available for raises...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:24 pm 
UserName Retired

While I am not a CBS 60 Minutes fan, I noticed a segment tonight on college football. The segment focused on the Bama/Michigan game to open the 2012 season but also got into the Towson (ie, FCS) vs LSU game this fall.

Towson AD said that more people heard the name Towson University during that game on TV than in the history of the university..maybe an exaggeration but easily millions....

Either the Towson or Michgan AD said their data shows a very strong connection between givng to the university and football...in fact, 60-70% of all academic giving occurred during football season.

The new Michigan coach said his work day is 5:45am to 9:30pm....sounds about right....not sure anyone in academics get anywhere close to that....and we have a lot of dedicated faculty.... plus coaches travel extensively to recruit....maybe faculty should hit the recruiting for academic students..... I can think of several that would have a long line of studnets following them to Bruce and Donaghey...

I do know this...more people gather for UCA football than any other university event..maybe not fair but fact.....

While you analyze the numbers understand that FCS football only allows 63 full scholarship equivalents....many schools do not have a full 63....I think UCA is one of those but not sure.... the roster shows about 90 players so at least 27 do not get scholarships....that means they pay personally to come to school...at 124 hours to graduate (minimum), that would be about 30 hours per year...at $244 per hour for tuition and fees, that is $7,320 per student or about $198,000 per year for football players alone paying their own way...that is not athletic dept money. I think UCA has about 400 student-athletes of which a large portion pay their own way. If only 25% pay there own way, that is about $730,000 per year that goes to the university and not athletics per 100 student-athletes. Note that NCAA rules would ony allow about 200 full equivalent scholarhips for the set of sports UCA offers....I think UCA comes in at about 175....

My personal experience at UCA and elsewhere is that most donors to the university had some tie to athletics..almost every major donor had pretty close ties.... an exception is probably band which, of course, has ties to football and basketball but also have their own culture and comaraderie....I have given more money to academics than athletics and hope to be able to do more but I have three other universities that vie for my money also.....UCA gets 90%....trust me that my Bears ties count for a lot.....

Time would be much better spent on increasing enrollment to 15,000 ...expanding the health sciences programs where we have reached capacity in some programs and growing the grad school....