It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apple Distinguished Educator Award 2013
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:56 pm 
UserName Retired

Dr. Michael Mills, Assistant Professor in UCA’s Department of Teaching and Learning, has been accepted into the nationally recognized Apple Distinguished Educator (ADE) Program’s Class of 2013.

Dr. Mills is one of only 70 educators selected this year to join the more than 2000 educators worldwide who are passionately committed to the improvement of teaching and learning through educational technology. Program participants will engage in a week-long ADE Institute in Austin, Texas, in July 2013.

The Apple Distinguished Educator (ADE) Program began in 1994, when Apple recognized K-12 and higher education pioneers who are using a variety of Apple products to transform teaching and learning in powerful ways. Today it has grown into a worldwide community of over 2,000 visionary educators and innovative leaders who are doing amazing things with technology in and out of the classroom. More information on this group of innovative educators is available online at http://www.apple.com/education/ade.

Dr. Mills joined UCA’s College of Education in August 2011 and has made considerable contributions to both students and faculty in the Teaching and Learning Department with his educational technology expertise.

Post subject: Re: Apple Distinguished Educator Award 2013
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 am 
Team Captain

Let me get this straight we the tax payers, Alumni, and students give UCA money, they buy Apple products that cost an arm and a leg, then apple gives the professor an award...

It is amazing how that company has kept its margins so high. Maybe we should take notes..... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

That aint nothing...check out Redbulls
Profits. If it costs more it has to be better, right?
I just bought 24-16.9 ounce bottles of water
For $3.15 including tax. One bottle of
Dasani will cost you $2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:40 pm 
UserName Retired

My tap water is free. I put it in a bottle. I spend about 0.00001 cents per refill.

I make my own laundry detergent too. I make 200 loads at a time at the cost of 0.02 cents per load.

I'm not cheap, I just don't buy bottled water in anything I buy,including laundry detergent, which is like 80+% water for like $12 for 40 loads. Not happening. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm 
Redshirt

Actually, I was given an old Macbook not used by the College of Business to use, and I was awarded for creating textbooks and other resources that students could get for free instead of having to spend a lot of money on textbooks they may not use after college.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:49 pm 
Team Captain

Dr. Mills - thank you for clarifying as the provided link didn't give any specifics as to why you were awarded for your efforts. Further any effort to reduce the costs of an education for a student, family, or alumni paying back student loans is greatly encouraged, and if that is what you have assisted in then my hats off to you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:59 pm 
All-American

michaelsmills wrote:
Actually, I was given an old Macbook not used by the College of Business to use, and I was awarded for creating textbooks and other resources that students could get for free instead of having to spend a lot of money on textbooks they may not use after college.

It's a shame I wasn't still there when you did this. Textbook prices are a ridiculous. UCA could use more professors like yourself. Keep up the good work and congratulations on the award! =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 pm 
Redshirt

Thank you so much for your support. The cost of textbooks has just gotten ridiculous, especially considering all of the quality information you can find on the Internet (if you know where to look!).

Cheers to you guys and Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:15 am 
UserName Retired

Awesome job Dr. Mills!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:58 am 
UserName Retired

Textbooks have gotten high priced! Especially when you think that some classes only use select texts in them but you pay for the whole book! I call it the AT&T contract syndrome...all those wasted rolled over minutes that expire! :lol: