All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA Academics vs. Athletics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 am 
UserName Retired

U
C-an't
A-dd

Quote:
The program is funded mostly by student fees at $5 million, not academic-side money, Teague said. Then auxiliary funds account for $1.3 million and outside sources are $1.7 million, he said. UCA uses $1.1 million from educational and general funds and is under the state cap on what it uses, Teague said.

plus

Quote:
Teague said Friday athletics gives $3 million for scholarships, double what was given before going to Division I in 2010.

=

Quote:
There is value in athletics and in academics, Teague said. He talked Friday about his program’s ability to keep students in school, get them on-campus housing and recruit students.

OK. Faculty.... Let's add up what you don't WANT to recognize.

1. State high school championships are going to be held at UCA. They wanted to play them at the other college but it was booked. Do you know why they wanted it there? Because they have the facilities. Wanna know how much revenue those teams and their families can bring to Conway and UCA?! Just wait for the article in the Cabin to see the economic impact for both places AFTER it happens.

2. UCA Football has the 30th smallest football stadium in the Division I FCS!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_stadiums
You wanna see how much revenue and potential student base UCA can get from hosting the state football championships instead of that craphole in Little Rock? Yeah, that means more students to UCA in case you haven't figured that one out.

3. All those great years of championships in volleyball, football, and other sports means publicity for UCA. That means more students and more revenue. Who hasn't heard of Megan or the SLC champion football team?

4. Payouts to UCA for the upcoming FBS games are as follows:

2013: Colorado, $390,000

2014: Texas Tech, $425,000

2015: Oklahoma State, $375,000

2017: Kansas State, $400,000

Do you really think we were getting those kind of paychecks in division II? :shock:
Or the coca-cola or Addidas revenue?

I could go on and on but its ridiculous to explain to a large group of adults that it costs money to make money. Athletics, young in its division I career, is quickly making more money with pay games in football etc.

But my UCA professor was right on one thing. He said no one cares how much something costs as long as they get the benefits from it and as long as it doesn't hit their pocket book. Faculty proved it with this statement:

Quote:
“If everything else had been going financially well, we’d be saying, ‘Good for you,’” Faculty Senate President Kevin Browne said during the board retreat Friday.

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2013-03-25/uca-athletics-compromise

Post subject: Re: UCA Academics vs. Athletics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It's a shame when one of your own tries to bring you down. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:28 pm 
UserName Retired

Its a poverty mind-set. I grew up around it. The south is famous for it. What's mine is mine and whats yours is mine. No moving up the ladder of success or you become too good for us lowly ones... :lol:

Yeah, I'm from the South...well, a transplant anyway. Been here long enough to confirm it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 pm 
Team Captain

Professor Browne teachers theater of all things.... So should we expect him to be familiar with a balance sheet? Most theater productions fail or lose large sums of money they require constant grants or angel donors to sustain them.

Maybe Browne ran out of Angels? And now he wants Teague's?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:11 pm 
UserName Retired

As much we like to think our academics gets people attention, sports get more attention in the public's mind. How many positive articles do we get for academics? We get at least a sports article a week in the only section of the newspaper most people read.

I love the BMB and think they are every bit as good at what they do as the Bears are at football.....unfortunately few people wil pay to hear our talented musicians (choir, concert band, orchestra, BMB, Purple Rage, etc). It's thee same way everywhere.

High school all-star games bring many more people to campus for the first time than anything we do ......Dixie Band Camp is high traffic also......

My first introduction to UCA was Bears basketball in a holiday tournament then a track runner I saw at a meet. Sports got me to college and to UCA, then I found academics and finished on time and went on to grad school.

Brad's data looks pretty good to me based on my review of the budgets and financial results. Athletics did not cause UCA's money woes from a few years back.

By the way, I have seen lots of data that shows athletic donors give more to academics than non-academic donors. There are probably some statistical reasons for this but most athletic donors I know are pretty successful, love UCA and help in many ways.

Last edited by JRK on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 am 
UserName Retired

Thank you JRK...exactly what I was tryinig to say..but with a personal touch. Athletics was the same reason I came to UCA. I still have that fond memory of the UCA football team visiting my 2nd grade classroom and reading to us. You can't beat that kind of marketing anywhere.