It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADG and LCD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:53 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Does anyone read both the LCD and the ADG that is delivered in Conway area? Which would you say is best at covering local events and news in Conway and Faulkner County? Have you noticed any change over the past 3-4 years in how they compare? How would you rate each on coverage of UCA from 1 to 5 with 1 being next to nothing and 5 being poor (based on prior comments from posters no one would rate above poor, but feel free to do so if you think appropiate).

Is LCD salvegeable?

GoBears!!

Post subject: Re: ADG and LCD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:54 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

ucafan1907 wrote:
Is LCD salvegeable?

GoBears!!

I'm sure it is, but if it, or the owners decide to salvage the LCD, it sure as heck wont be an over night fix.

Post subject: Re: ADG and LCD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:24 pm 
All-American

ucafan1907 wrote:
Does anyone read both the LCD and the ADG that is delivered in Conway area? Which would you say is best at covering local events and news in Conway and Faulkner County? Have you noticed any change over the past 3-4 years in how they compare? How would you rate each on coverage of UCA from 1 to 5 with 1 being next to nothing and 5 being poor (based on prior comments from posters no one would rate above poor, but feel free to do so if you think appropiate).

Is LCD salvegeable?

GoBears!!

I have read both for more than 25 years. The LCD use to be an absolutely outstanding newspaper when it was owned by the Robins family. It always had heavy emphasis on LOCAL news, sports and public service items. Years ago, I use to spent upwards of 45 minutes plus a day going over the Cabin. Today, with the exception of when David McCollum or Donna Stephens has a column or a news story, I am usually done within two to three minutes.

The Cabin is owned by a chain out of Georgia and there is no longer any emphasis of news coverage. David still does his outstanding job on covering city and county sports. I am not even a golf fan, but I always read Donna's stories.

Is it salvegeable ? I'm just not sure. I understand their newsroom staff is now down to six or seven persons. The few people that I am acquainted with have essentially lost their spirit.

Within in the last two years, rumors have circulated about the Cabin being obtained by Stephens Media Group. That could be the best thing that has happened.

My grade on the Cabin would be between 1 and 2. It pains me to give a grade like that.

Regarding the Democrat-Gazette, I think they do an OK job, but it could be better. I would give them a grade of about 3.

The coverage has improved since our move to Division I, just wish there was more of it.

Didn't mean to go so long.

Burly Bear :)

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:18 am 
UserName Retired

I also get them both. What Burly said pretty much echoes how I feel. Both papers have their own distinct drawback for being less than enthusiastic about coverage of UCA sports. The LCD is too cheap to do the job properly and the ADG is too "hoggish" for me. As long as someone else is editor at either of the papers instead of one of us, I really don't anticipate any improvement! However, I do hold the LCD more accountable seeing as to how they are a hometown paper. Beating on a live horse will sometimes get you results if the horse is smart. Beating on a dead horse shows one how smart he isn't because it ain't gonna change nothing! I choose to quit beating on the dead one, until I start feeling real smart again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:30 pm 
UserName Retired

I read the DOG as it is called in the journalism world for free online or when someone throws one in the trash...hey...give a guy a break.. :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:05 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aID=98382.44711.110520&cID=e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:32 pm 
Two-Time All-American

"The time is past when information consumers will accept whatever information a local newspaper wants to give them," Fahr said. (LCD Editor) :roll:

Check out the crappy sports information they keep shoving down our throats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:42 pm 
UserName Retired

"We also are big into online forums and online photography galleries submitted by visitors to our site," Fahr said.

Translated: Thanks to all the people who are not on staff for submitting your articles. Where would we be without you! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:06 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
"We also are big into online forums and online photography galleries submitted by visitors to our site," Fahr said.

Translated: Thanks to all the people who are not on staff for submitting your articles. Where would we be without you! :wink:

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: