It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:35 pm 
All-Conference

UpandIn913 wrote:
Full Grown Bear wrote:
Since you have seen this and I haven't, wouldn't it take away the appreciation of an offensive line, what are your opinions?

Oh certainly IMO....I mean your center has a lot of attention on him, but for the other 4 OL, it takes away from them. I don't think this type of offense would be very successful in a 6A or 7A conference just because of the speed factor of some of those teams.

The team I got to see was Fouke, and it worked good for them because their so called offensive lineman weren't your typical OL in a bigger school's offense. This offense gave them(Fouke) more of a chance to compete against schools that had your tradional 200-250 OL.

The night I saw Fouke run it, it didn't work so well for them. They were losing 41-0 at the end of the 1st quarter :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:32 pm 
Team Captain

Honey Bear I'm with ya. I watch Cabot play 7 or 8 games a season, and Malham runs the Dead T and 5-2 defense. Only thing is, he needs to throw more out of the backfield and gets burnt on defense with an offense that throws crossing routes and uses their tight end effectively. They are always undersized but turn out one of the best teams in the state annually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:36 pm 
Team Captain

West Memphis was a good tough running team with a stout defense also. Coach Dausch is an awesome coach, who learned from one of the greatest high school coaches ever in Arkansas. (Frank McClellan from Barton). One of my best friends coaches there, and they have good contacts with UCA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:37 pm 
All-Conference

Talking about running teams, you have to mention Rison. They have always been stout regardless of coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:45 pm 
Team Captain

Never seen them but they have got a good program. Coach Shannon has Beebe looking good in that Dead T also. I'm excited about Coach Ashcraft in Conway also although I think he throws quite a bit. I used to play ball with Coach Jed Davis from Mayflower, and I believe that he will be a very good coach one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 am 
All-Conference

Check out this formation :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 am 
Team Captain

High school football is exciting to watch and with 7on7 and team camps ,the competition and the opportunities for players are getting better all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:36 am 
Two-Time All-American

Luke Matheson wrote:

Not much different than the Wishbone.

Springdale use to be a very good running team prior to the Malzahn era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 am 
All-Conference

If we're talking great running teams of the past, you have to mention Wynne. Former coach Don Campbell MIGHT pass once a game, maybe.
Coach Carpenter down at Junction City is another. The Dragons run that Wishbone attack like the OU Sooners did back in the day.
UpandIn mentioned the smaller schools O-linemen. A great offense to utilize the smaller, quicker O-line is the Wing-T, or any variation of it. My Charleston Tigers won state in 2008, and had a guard that was very undersized. As Kelly was getting on the bus for the trip to LR to play in War Memorial, I asked him just how much he weighed. He said 133 pounds. I told him someone forgot to mention that 125 of that was heart.
I played on the O-line back in my younger days. My playing size was about a buck-75 (and I haven't seen that since I said "I do". What I get for marrying a good cook!). I loved going against those big lard-@ss'. You know, the ones that wanted to stand up and look into the backfield to see where the play was going. Stay low and fire off straight into that big gut, and he'd go down like a bowling pin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:18 am 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:
Luke Matheson wrote:

Not much different than the Wishbone.

Springdale use to be a very good running team prior to the Malzahn era.

The great thing was the defense bit, and the QB rolled out to hit a wide open RB in the endzone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm 
Team Captain

Coach Campbell once was asked before a state title game if his offense would be balanced. His reply was indeed, we will run to the right as much as we run to the left. One of the most exciting high school games I've witnessed, was the 2000 Hooten's Classic at UCA. Shiloh Christian vs. Osceola. Coach Malzahn vs. Coach Gore. Jonathan Adams' little brother shined, but Rhett Lashlee, Wes Murphy, and crew did not go untamed either. Pass vs. Run. Awesome game, both teams scored in the 50's. The second game of the evening Cabot(eventual state champs) vs. Conway was exceptional also. This was one of the better smashmouth matchups for years. If you enjoy defense catch LR Central vs. West Memphis. Wow.