It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Children of Illegal Aliens to get in-state tuition
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Just the latest example of the complete idiots in office nowadays.

While other states are fighting a war with illegals, these "tools" want to offer them incentives. :evil: :evil:

LITTLE ROCK — Legislation to allow the children of undocumented immigrants to go to state-run colleges at cheaper in-state tuition rates advanced from a Senate committee Wednesday.

Senate Bill 799 by Sen. Joyce Elliott, D-Little Rock, fell one vote short of the Senate Education Committee’s endorsement Monday. She picked up the extra vote Wednesday when Sen. Steve Bryles, D-Blytheville, returned after missing Monday’s meeting because of illness.

The eight-member panel recommended the bill with no additional debate in a 5-2 vote.

The offer of in-state tuition in the bill would be open to students with no legal status who completed three years of school in the state and graduated from an Arkansas high school.

Gov. Mike Beebe opposes the bill, citing a federal law that requires that any benefit afforded to undocumented students be extended to any legal resident of the United States.

Under Elliott’s bill and similar measures, Arkansas colleges and universities could not charge higher out-of-state tuition to any U.S. resident, Beebe has maintained since issuing an opinion to that effect as attorney general in 2005, when Elliott first filed the legislation as a state House member.

Her 2005 bill passed the House but failed in the Senate, as did an earlier version which would have made undocumented students eligible for state scholarships.

State Higher Education Director Jim Purcell testified before the Senate committee Monday that SB 799 would effectively eliminate out-of-state tuition, costing the state about $38 million a year.

In testimony Monday, University of Arkansas Chancellor David Gearhart said the state’s flagship university already does what it can to help undocumented students, whom he said should not be penalized because of their parents’ actions.

THESE POLITICIANS ARE MONEY GRUBBING SCUM WHO WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A VOTE, INCLUDING TURNING A BLIND EYE TO THE CRIMINAL PARENTS WHO BRING THEIR FAMILIES TO OUR COUNTRY ILLEGALLY TO BLEED US DRY!!!!
Please people. Help me spread the word, and let's "light up" these idiot's phones and e-mail.

We can start with the sponsor.
Phone 501-568-3917
Email elliottj@arkleg.state.ar.us

And the one that cast the deciding vote.
Steve Bryles

District: 15
County: Mississippi, Poinsett
Address: State Capitol Rm 320
L.R. , AR 72201
Phone: 870-762-1365
eMail: bryless@arkleg.state.ar.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I can see the uproar over it and I'm not sure I really agree with it either, but if I were arguing the other side I'd say this ...

By offering them in-state tuition maybe you put some of them in college when otherwise they would've just been living on our streets working minimum-wage jobs and falling into the stereotype that has been cast upon them. If they're doing something constructive with their time and not shooting police officers or stealing stereos out of cars then it's a positive as far as I'm concerned.

And if it means Arkansas schools have to grant in-state tuition to the rest of the nation ... so what? I'm not the most intelligent guy around, but I've never understood the purpose of out-of-state tuition anyway. Why gouge? If kids from other states now find Arkansas schools (UCA, for instance) more attractive because they can get in cheaper, then that only adds to your chances of increasing your enrollment and getting footholds in other areas.

I'd rather take 15 extra kids from out of state at in-state tuition than only get 5 who might've come otherwise at the higher rate. Now you've got more money and more bodies. Maybe one of those 10 goes on to be successful and donates a million dollars. Or maybe he at least graduates, works in Conway and becomes a Bear fan for life. Whatever. And even if he takes off the day after graduating, we still got his money. So whatever.

If we're (and by we, I mean our government – not some lunatics with 4-wheelers and shotguns) not going to make a serious effort to clear the illegal immigrants out of the country and just let them hang out, then we're already enabling them and since they're setting up shop you might as well give them a shot to better themselves while they're in our presence.

But honestly, it doesn't really matter much to me either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:26 pm 
UserName Retired

The key word in all this, imo, is "undocumented". If that is the case then I feel their children shouldn't be allowed one red penny. If these immigrants aren't willing to go thru the legal means to be documented why should us legal tax paying citizens support these kids. I understand some of Beary's explanations but that would be in a perfect world and we're a helluva long way from being there.

I'm sure the vast majority of these UIs don't even pay the taxes we do so why should they get their child's education paid for them? As far as I'm concerned I'd rather see a U.S. citizen's kid with a C average get a scholarship as opposed to a UI's kid with an A average get one. I call it paying your dues in life.

Politicians have really turned upside down the meaning of "majority rules". I really believe there ain't an honest one in the whole damn bunch - anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

HoneyBear you sound like one of us lunatics on 4-wheelers with shotguns. :lol:

That's alright. 230 years ago we were traitors. Then we were patriots. I don't really care what you call us. I know we won't be following the herd over the cliff, though.

Take that how you like. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:23 pm 
UserName Retired

Beary Manilow wrote:
And if it means Arkansas schools have to grant in-state tuition to the rest of the nation ... so what? I'm not the most intelligent guy around, but I've never understood the purpose of out-of-state tuition anyway. Why gouge? If kids from other states now find Arkansas schools (UCA, for instance) more attractive because they can get in cheaper, then that only adds to your chances of increasing your enrollment and getting footholds in other areas.

Out of state students are charged more because:

1. They or their parents don't pay any state taxes for Arkansas. If my future Arkansas resident child could deduct the amount of state taxes I pay from his tuition, then great, I'm all for it!

2. Those students will be using facilities, faculty and property paid for by resident taxes. Why should someone else get to use those things for free that I pay heavily for with every paycheck?

But the point is children of undocumented immigrant..so..

If I were to go to any other country and try to get a college education here's what would happen:

On my recent trip to Germany I questioned a Dean about attending one of their local universities and how much tuition would be to attend. He stated that German children are allowed to attend at very little cost(government funded mostly through taxes) and there was no scholarships available for them. He also stated that my cost to attend would be full price. NO government help. :shock:

As an UI, you would be considered alien to the U.S. Please don't think that getting help in other countries is even possible. It's not. Why should it be any different here? Do I want all people to get a great college education? Yes. But the fact is the taxes you pay should go to assist the citizens of the country you pay taxes in! I agree with HB. Take care of the paperwork UIs and get legal! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:00 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
Beary Manilow wrote:

1. They or their parents don't pay any state taxes for Arkansas. If my future Arkansas resident child could deduct the amount of state taxes I pay from his tuition, then great, I'm all for it!

2. Those students will be using facilities, faculty and property paid for by resident taxes. Why should someone else get to use those things for free that I pay heavily for with every paycheck?

But the point is children of undocumented immigrant..so..

If I were to go to any other country and try to get a college education here's what would happen:

On my recent trip to Germany I questioned a Dean about attending one of their local universities and how much tuition would be to attend. He stated that German children are allowed to attend at very little cost(government funded mostly through taxes) and there was no scholarships available for them. He also stated that my cost to attend would be full price. NO government help. :shock:

As an UI, you would be considered alien to the U.S. Please don't think that getting help in other countries is even possible. It's not. Why should it be any different here? Do I want all people to get a great college education? Yes. But the fact is the taxes you pay should go to assist the citizens of the country you pay taxes in! I agree with HB. Take care of the paperwork UIs and get legal! :lol:

Ditto.

I remember attending classes with some students from the orient and they said that our out of state tuition was still 4x cheaper than it was for them to go to school back home. Our elected officials now want to turn away $38 million in out of state tuition? Idiots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:35 am 
UserName Retired

Purple Pride wrote:
HoneyBear you sound like one of us lunatics

Why thank you for the compliment Double P. I'm more concerned about lowering the cost of legal American's children college educations as opposed to spending taxpayers money on the illegals - whether it be for education or medical or whatever.

The politicians are going for the minority vote in future elections no matter the damage they do to the majority's opinion on how the government should be run. You've always heard the expression "it is better to give than it is to receive" but it ain't Christmas here when talking about the unfairness to the people who are doing the giving.

I'm not a history buff but I do remember one statement that George Washington made to a reporter when he was elected president. To paraphrase - when asked what party affillation he was closest to Washington replied "None. Party affiliations will be the eventual downfall of this nation."

Wise beyond his years I would say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:44 am 
Two-Time All-American

"You've always heard the expression "it is better to give than it is to receive" but it ain't Christmas here when talking about the unfairness to the people who are doing the giving." - HB

I never realized that "taxing and taking" from someone under the threat of punishment could be defined as them "giving" to another.

That's a pretty "generous" definition.

I always thought that was called that extortion. :wink:

Then again, us lunatics ain't always the brightest. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:42 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
That's a pretty "generous" definition.

I was trying to appear fair but yet intelligent. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:19 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:

1. They or their parents don't pay any state taxes for Arkansas...

We are paying state taxes whether or not Johnny Vermont is going to college within the state, so I don't see where it really matters.

If state schools across the nation just had a flat tuition rate, then kids from anywhere could go to any school without being penalized. Free trade, basically.

How is it different from, say, state highways? As Arkansans, we don't pay state taxes in any other state, but we aren't charged a fee to use state highways in Louisiana or Texas or whatever state we may find ourselves in. There's no out-of-state highway fee. Why out-of-state tuition? Same with our state parks. I don't believe campers from other states are charged an out-of-state rate, yet they don't pay Arkansas state taxes.

And going back to the illegals, I haven't read the entire bill, but does it mention anything about them being eligible for scholarships – or is it strictly about in-state tuition? If it's just tuition, then we're not propping them up with our tax dollars ... they're paying the state. I don't see the harm in that.

That being said, I would much rather just have them all deported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:10 am 
Two-Time All-American

Beary Manilow wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

We are paying state taxes whether or not Johnny Vermont is going to college within the state, so I don't see where it really matters.

If state schools across the nation just had a flat tuition rate, then kids from anywhere could go to any school without being penalized. Free trade, basically.

How is it different from, say, state highways? As Arkansans, we don't pay state taxes in any other state, but we aren't charged a fee to use state highways in Louisiana or Texas or whatever state we may find ourselves in. There's no out-of-state highway fee. Why out-of-state tuition? Same with our state parks. I don't believe campers from other states are charged an out-of-state rate, yet they don't pay Arkansas state taxes.

And going back to the illegals, I haven't read the entire bill, but does it mention anything about them being eligible for scholarships – or is it strictly about in-state tuition? If it's just tuition, then we're not propping them up with our tax dollars ... they're paying the state. I don't see the harm in that.

She wanted scholarships for them, but that's been shot down before.

If they're going to give an 18 year old child of illegals in-state tuition, they also ought to give the parents a free bus ride to the border.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:59 am 
UserName Retired

Beary Manilow wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

I guess it's all about constant revenue. If someone lives in Arkansas, they pay taxes on everything they do, see, drive on, breathe...you get the pic. But if a student from out of state arrives and hasn't invested any money in taxes in the state, then it's almost unfair. If you visit another state, you will pay taxes on hotels, toll roads etc..But I understand what you are saying. I just can't see giving IA children discounted tuition and telling children of American legal citizens to pay more. :? But I guess even a college is a business that will try to suck every dime out of anyone they can to survive. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:44 pm 
All-Conference

I am all for encouraging education....I would propose a different strategy.

If this is something our legislative branch is bent on doing and it is going to happen, it should happen like this:

Raise out of state tuition for illegal immigrants and other foreign born attendees. If the statements above about how great a bargain our schools are, a raise in tuition shouldn't discourage too many.

Use the extra funds to REDUCE tuition for AMERICAN kids.

Seems to me this bill just has it backwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ARROWSATC wrote:
I am all for encouraging education....I would propose a different strategy.

If this is something our legislative branch is bent on doing and it is going to happen, it should happen like this:

Raise out of state tuition for illegal immigrants and other foreign born attendees. If the statements above about how great a bargain our schools are, a raise in tuition shouldn't discourage too many.

Use the extra funds to REDUCE tuition for AMERICAN kids.

Seems to me this bill just has it backwards.

I'll second that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:03 pm 
Redshirt

The children if born here are not illegal are they? If the children are citizens shouldn't they get the same rights as any other citizen?