It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm 
Redshirt

My son has been invited to attend a UCA home game. We have heard about the great pre-game atmosphere (tailgating!) , so he wants to go to Homecoming. We live in Oklahoma and don't want to drive home following the game. Since it is Homecoming, should I start trying to book a room for the night now? If so, can someone give suggestions? We were in Conway for camp this summer, but only went to the campus, so we don't really know our way around. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:11 pm 
UserName Retired

I'm sure that someone who can help you will be around this afternoon. I would tell you where to stay, but since I've left UCA back in 2005 so many new hotels have popped up that I don't know which one is best.

I do know that the tailgating atmosphere is phenomenal compared to what it was only a few years ago...and Homecoming should be a great time to witness it in all of its splendor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 pm 
Redshirt

Thanks! I'll check back this afternoon and hopefully someone can offer advice. We are really looking forward to taking it all in. I was very impressed with the campus this summer in the short time we were there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
If so, can someone give suggestions?

Call the Alumni Director, Jan, at 501-450-3130. Tell her I sent you. She has all the answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:36 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Here is the official visitor's guide from UCAsports.com, maybe this will help to. There are a few hotels listed on it. Basically, though, every major type of hotel chain is now here in Conway, so I don't think you will have any problem finding a hotel room in the area Homecoming or not.

http://ucasports.com/gallery/visitorsguidejun09.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:06 pm 
Redshirt

Thanks so much for the help! I think I'll be able to find something that will work. Can't wait to see the Bears in action!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express near I40 many times. Not a whole lot near campus but Conway is not so big to be a long drive across town.

Always glad to see OK fans and prospects.

A good friend of mine in Barrtlesville knows Markell Carter and still cannot believe he got away from home and playing at UCA. Of course, wee are very glad he chose UCA. just as we are the other OK guys from places like Tulsa, Owasso, Muskogee and Vinita.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:54 am 
Redshirt

Thanks! My son had a good day at camp in June and we really like the coaches. Can't wait to take in a game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 pm 
UserName Retired

Is your son a recruit? You mentioned camp so I was wondering. Just contact the coaching staff or the alumni association for more details and they will be glad to help you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 pm 
Redshirt

yes, they are interested in him. they have not extended an offer yet, but he is hopeful. i did find a room and have made a reservation. thanks for all the suggestions!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:08 pm 
UserName Retired

What position does he play? Who did he play for? Us bearfanatics would love to know! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 am 
Redshirt

he plays OL. right now he's at right tackle, but in college he'll most likely play guard or possibly center. he's 6'4 290 and that's where they want him to stay. he plays for Charles Page HS in Sand Springs, OK. we started the season 0-1 with a loss to Enid last week. we are in the same district as Jenks, BA and Muskogee. we made the playoffs last year for the first time in 11 years. our QB has verbaled to Ok State, but broke his collarbone in the first game. we will be starting a soph the rest of the year, but he is more than capable. our entire o-line are seniors so he has good protection!!

we will be following the Bears and are looking forward to our visit!