It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mentioned on the Radio
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 am 
All-Conference

On the drive in to work this morning (still don't know why I commute to LR from Conway everyday :roll: ) I was listening to the traffic reports on Alice 107.7. They came back on the air talking college football so, of course, my ears pricked up. DC was talking about catching heck from a bunch of Razorback fans in the gym the other night because he was wearing a Texas Tech shirt. He announced right then that he was henceforth going to be supporting UCA and that he needed to get some UCA gear to wear now. He then talked briefly about how well the Bears have done last year and thus far this year.

Anyway, I just emailed the radio show and offered to buy him his first shirt, and also invited him out the game this Saturday. If any of you would like to do the same, they go off the air at around 10am i think, but you can contact them here:

http://www.alice1077.com/showdj.asp?DJID=16197

Also, would it be worth it to have the Athletic Department contact the radio station and formally extend such an offer? Is this a golden opportunity for UCA to get some positive publicity, or is the situation not as good as it seems? I don't know the first thing about how this would work, so that's why I ask. Perhaps someone with closer ties to the administration could make them aware of this, if it is worth the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 am 
UserName Retired

To me, it would be worth the publicity/air time for someone from the Athletic Department or President's office to call in and do exactly what you said.

Maybe someone on here will read this and contact those people.

If he comes out to this game, he should be pretty impressed with what he sees on the field. I think it's a no-lose situation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 am 
Redshirt

A couple of years ago my son wore a razorback shirt to a UCA game. Someone in the crowd loudly criticized him for this. Another time the crowd in the purple circle section cheered when it was announced that the razbacks were losing.
My son was on his way to becoming a solid Bear fan, now he doesn't come to the games. Because of this my son and my two grandsons will not be at the game saturday.
This is very simular to the way we picked DC up as a fan. I hope we don't lose him the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:32 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

RWV wrote:
A couple of years ago my son wore a razorback shirt to a UCA game. Someone in the crowd loudly criticized him for this. Another time the crowd in the purple circle section cheered when it was announced that the razbacks were losing.

I really hope your son, or to be fair, anyone else doesnt expect us UCA fans AND alums to CHEER for the pigs in our own stadium at our own game, because that would be utterly ridiculous too! Get real! That being said, I'm not sure I'm for criticizing your son since he wore a pig shirt to a UCA game, plenty of people have over the years. As long as they are rooting for the Bears, I'm alright with it.

Quote:
My son was on his way to becoming a solid Bear fan, now he doesn't come to the games. Because of this my son and my two grandsons will not be at the game Saturday.

That's too bad because of one little incident...maybe he ought to try to forgive and forget...or have more expectations that anytime you go into a stadium with another team's stuff on (whether in Conway, AR or in Louisiana or ANYWHERE) that might always be a possibility, whether it's right or wrong or not.

Quote:
This is very simular to the way we picked DC up as a fan. I hope we don't lose him the same way.

We wont IF he does come

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:36 am 
All-Conference

Wonder what the reaction would be if I wore a UCA shirt to a piggie game/tailgate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:40 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I did, and no one said a word...but I knew everyone at that tailgate... Got quite a few stare downs though throughout the night...

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am 
UserName Retired

What do you think would happen if I wore an ASU shirt to a pig game? or a USC shirt to a UCLA game? C'mon, he can see it leads to nothing good. :lol: It would happen anywhere...at any stadium. If he chose not to be a Bear fan because of his own actions, then there's nothing anyone can do. But tell him to go buy an ASU shirt and sit in a pig game then judge the UCA crowd the same way...he'll be shocked. :roll: His own people will turn on him. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 pm 
All-Conference

BF 101 - I would have to agree here. While I may not condone the treatment this young man received while in Estes Stadium, wearing Razorback gear to a UCA home game is quite different from wearing a Texas Tech shirt while working out in a public gym that happens to be in Little Rock, Arkansas.

BTW - I have yet to hear back from Alice 107.7 regarding my offer. Do we know if anyone from athletics contact the radio station?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:32 pm 
UserName Retired

Email bteague@uca.edu
He'll gladly email you back a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:40 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

BearDenFounder wrote:
BF 101 - I would have to agree here. While I may not condone the treatment this young man received while in Estes Stadium, wearing Razorback gear to a UCA home game is quite different from wearing a Texas Tech shirt while working out in a public gym that happens to be in Little Rock, Arkansas.

BTW - I have yet to hear back from Alice 107.7 regarding my offer. Do we know if anyone from athletics contact the radio station?

the fact he/they also may, or may not, have gotten their feelings hurt just because a few people (UCA FANS/ALUMS) cheered because the hogs lost WHILE ATTENDING A UCA HOME GAME is quite humorous!

part b: who knows if anyone contacted AD personnel, guess it depends on if anyone read your post and wanted to follow up on it or not.

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:52 pm 
All-Conference

RWV wrote:
My son was on his way to becoming a solid Bear fan, now he doesn't come to the games. Because of this my son and my two grandsons will not be at the game saturday.

It is very possible that I was the one doing the loud criticizing. I have before. If it wasn't me, then it was probably someone I know. These days I generally choose to just give a disapproving look instead of being vocal.

Look, I'm sorry the kid got his feelings hurt but I greatly doubt that he was on his way to being a solid Bear fan if he was wearing a Hog shirt to a Bear game. Wake up kid. Be smarter than that. And I shutter to think what my life would be like had I run away from something every time I got my feelings hurt or was criticized. Man, kids just aren't very tough these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

For every person who harasses a fan of another team at a UCA game there are 1000 who would never say anything, especially to a child.

However, the best I ever saw was a fellow who went and bought a young boy a UCA shirt and gave it to him at half time. Last time I saw the boy, he was wearing his new UCA shirt over his hog shirt.

The only time I would wear a UCA shirt to a hog game is when our Bears are playng the hogs. Same would go for ASU or anybody else. I would have worn a Georgia shirt last week had I gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The pigs do not even announce our scores at their games. They are too high and mighty to acknowledge our existence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:35 am 
UserName Retired

UCAMonkey wrote:
The pigs do not even announce our scores at their games. They are too high and mighty to acknowledge our existence.

And you would know this how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:38 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Standard Operating Procedure...