It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on the BMB?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:11 am 
Practice Squad

So, what did y'all think of the BMB this past weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:44 am 
Practice Squad

Enjoyed the Journey show. Seems like everyone is doing a Michael Jackson show so this was a pleasant surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:50 am 
UserName Retired

Thought "I'm on a boat" was awesome.
The only thing missing was T-Pain.

I can't remember what song it was just before the 4th quarter started (was it IOAB?), but I do remember thinking that it sounded good and loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:12 am 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
The only thing missing was T-Pain.

I didn't see a mermaid either, which was disappointing. I was looking for a way to kill a couple hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 am 
Practice Squad

Haha I arranged "I'm on a Boat" and I went back and forth on putting the T-Pain chorus in but I decided there might be a risk with the student section singing the actual words so I left it out. Me and another tuba player do recite some of the lyrics when we don't play though.

Yeah, the Journey show ended up being really good. I'm not the biggest "classic rock" fan but I ended up really liking the show and I'm glad y'all enjoyed it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 am 
UserName Retired

Beary Manilow wrote:
I was looking for a way to kill a couple hours.

Who are you kidding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 am 
UserName Retired

BMB Rocks wrote:
Haha I arranged "I'm on a Boat" and I went back and forth on putting the T-Pain chorus in but I decided there might be a risk with the student section singing the actual words so I left it out. Me and another tuba player do recite some of the lyrics when we don't play though.

Yeah, the Journey show ended up being really good. I'm not the biggest "classic rock" fan but I ended up really liking the show and I'm glad y'all enjoyed it as well.

So what was played just before the 4th quarter started?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:42 am 
UserName Retired

Could the band play facing the students and general admission/visitor side? Those are paying tix too! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Thought the pregame and halftime was great...as was the play during the game....excellent sound....

Had to miss the 5th Quarter....try to catch next game I get to....

Ditto re the student section.....I thought about that during the game...maybe start a tradition of playing a song to the student section each game....we old f---s will not be offended...we love to watch and listen to th student section anyway...they need some props from BMB ....

Great atmosphere at first game.... that needs to just be warmup for when SLC teams and North Dakota come to town....

Also, glad they brought back ...."UCA ...first down" cheer (it is something most of us oldtimers can do)..new "Go ....Bears" sounded pretty good....seemed to be pretty loud...

Thanks to BMB and UCA Cheer for your part of the game....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:09 am 
Practice Squad

Thanks for all the comments! We're there primarily for you guys but the football team as well. Coach Conque visited a few weeks ago and spoke to us and it was very cool. This is my...well, we go into how long I've been in the band, but this is the first time I've had any coach come and speak to the marching band. It was definitely cool.

I'm not sure as to what we played before 4th quarter...we played "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Heartbreaker" during the 2nd half but not sure when we played them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:04 am 
UserName Retired

I loved the "GO" "BEARS" chant. Would have loved to hear the halftime music on the student side though. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 am 
UserName Retired

BearCountry wrote:
I loved the "GO" "BEARS" chant. Would have loved to hear the halftime music on the student side though. 8)

Bands perform to the home side. It's just how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 am 
UserName Retired

I see that. But my point is that the students should be played to also. They also pay that fee that gets them the entertainment so why not? Besides, those 20 or so visiting fans at the last game were impressed with the band...well, at least what they could hear. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 pm 
Practice Squad

Well, you never know...we might play to the visitors side but we may not either. It's just a tradition and a common practice that you play to the home side in almost every college/high school band. We did face back field and play a little bit during the 2nd piece of halftime but that was more so you could hear the soloists and so when we hit that big chord it sounded massive. We have done shows for the student section before and we may do it again but it's just not common practice to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:57 pm 
UserName Retired

The theme song from the movie "Patton" would be a good one to work on. Heard them talking about it on the Buzz this morning. Got a lot of horn play in it.

The GO BEARS back and forth thing was pretty neat. The east side kept getting louder every time and us geriatrics seem to get a little quieter with each yell. Does being out of breath and dizziness go hand in hand?