It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:00 am 
All-Conference

His parents did not move. That is the key here. They are his legal guardian. He moved in with his grandmother, who does not have custody or is not his legal guardian, granted by the court of law. This is why he was never granted eligibility by the AAA, his parents did not move, thus it was not a Bona Fide move.

The judge is saying the AAA's rules are flawed, to he granted the injunction.

How are they flawed, when the AAA did not make them? The schools voted the rules in, to include Lamar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:32 am 
UserName Retired

Barry Grooms (spelling?) mentioned many other variables on the radio yesterday, many that I haven't seen written anywhere else.

1.) This kid played in some sort of preseason game for Russellville - this season.
2.) On the way home from this game, he was in a fight on the team bus.
3.) His parents were afraid the fighting would continue if he stayed, so they all moved to the Lamar district and live with the grandparents.
4.) The AAA apparently has broad support from AAA schools to continue to fight this ruling by the court. However, the schools obviously want there to be a playoff this season.

This almost makes most of what I was arguing invalid as there are ruleS in question, the other being two teams in one season. So, I am going to stop making comments about this specific case because I clearly don't have enough facts as new stuff keeps coming out.

Moving on. I'm pretty conservative. I hate when people sue McDonalds for stupid crap and support most tort reform. But let's get all 7th grade history and remember that the government is set up with checks and balances. The AAA has to answer to someone, just as the NCAA does luckily.

What you're promoting is that the AAA - not the courts - could actually vote on rules allowing some of the idiocy that you threw out there. All it would take is a vote to make up some stupid rules like that. And then what? No one can challenge it? Please.

Rules voted on by the entire membership are different from rulings made by a 19-member panel anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:14 am 
Two-Time All-American

Luke Matheson wrote:
His parents did not move. That is the key here.

Sure, in this case. But I'm not talking about this case specifically. I'm talking about what you posted in the thread on your own board, where you advocated any kid making a transfer – even if his parents move – be forced to sit a full year.

Luke Duke wrote:
Once it had been determined the player has made a Bona Fide move, make them sit 365 days before being eligible for any athletic sports in the school. Allow them to participate on the scout teams, but not in the games.

I think that's ridiculous, and that – in 20,000 words – is what I was trying to say, speaking in general and not specifically to the Lamar deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:30 pm 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
Barry Grooms (spelling?) mentioned many other variables on the radio yesterday, many that I haven't seen written anywhere else.

1.) This kid played in some sort of preseason game for Russellville - this season.
2.) On the way home from this game, he was in a fight on the team bus.
3.) His parents were afraid the fighting would continue if he stayed, so they all moved to the Lamar district and live with the grandparents.
4.) The AAA apparently has broad support from AAA schools to continue to fight this ruling by the court. However, the schools obviously want there to be a playoff this season.

This almost makes most of what I was arguing invalid as there are ruleS in question, the other being two teams in one season. So, I am going to stop making comments about this specific case because I clearly don't have enough facts as new stuff keeps coming out.

Moving on. I'm pretty conservative. I hate when people sue McDonalds for stupid crap and support most tort reform. But let's get all 7th grade history and remember that the government is set up with checks and balances. The AAA has to answer to someone, just as the NCAA does luckily.

What you're promoting is that the AAA - not the courts - could actually vote on rules allowing some of the idiocy that you threw out there. All it would take is a vote to make up some stupid rules like that. And then what? No one can challenge it? Please.

Rules voted on by the entire membership are different from rulings made by a 19-member panel anyway.

The board upheld the ruling for transfer and eligibility that the member schools voted on.

Between the parents not making a bona fide move and the kid already playing football at another school, there are two reasons he was never eligible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:37 pm 
All-Conference

A new update:

********Update 1:15 PM November 14, 2009********

ArkansasVarsity.com has been talking with several coaches regarding this situation.

In talking with the coaches and asking their feelings on the matter, several have stated they would like for the Arkansas Activities Association to allow Lamar back into the playoffs, and get on with the remainder of the football season.

Once the season is over, continue the process of finding out if the player was eligible or not, and if he was not, after all of the thing that have been done in the past week, enforce Rule 4C and 4G in the Arkansas Activities Association rulebook on page 18.

Rule 4C on Page 18 is as follows: Suspension. A school shall forfeit all games played or awards received during the period of violation. The school may not participate in a regular season schedule nor
participate in any invitational, district, or state events during the suspension period.

Rule 4G on Page 18 is as follows: If a student is ineligible according to AAA rules but is permitted to participate in interscholastic competition contrary to such AAA rules but in accordance with the terms of a court restraining order of injunction against that student's school and/or the AAA, and that injunction is subsequently voluntarily vacated, stayed, reversed, or finally determined by the courts that injunctive relief is not or was not justified or expires without further judicial determination, those penalties stipulated in Rule 4 A, B, C, D, E, or F may be imposed.

http://www.arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/c ... ID=1015509

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 pm 
All-Conference

I wonder if Lamar filled out the required CSAP form for eligibility. The rulebook says this must be filled out.

Page 25: http://www.ahsaa.org/docs/2009-10%20__A ... ndbook.pdf

F. CSAP Forms
1. A Changing Schools/Athletic Participation (CSAP)
document stating that the student was not recruited and
did not change schools for athletic purposes must be
signed prior to participation by:

a. The superintendent or designated administrator of
the previous school.

b. The superintendent or designated administrator of
the new school.

c. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s), witnessed by the
new (receiving) school's administrator or a notary
public.

2. CSAP forms may only be used for eligibility of public
school students and boarding school students who are
enrolled in the receiving school by July 1 before a
student enters grades 7-10.

Since this says "must be signed prior to participation by:", wouldn't this throw out the whole "we called and got verbal confirmation" theory?

Read it closely, not only must it be signed before participation, but the superintendent or designated administrator of the BOTH schools, and the parents, must also sign off on it.