It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sugar Bears vs. SEMO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:14 pm 
UserName Retired

Sugar Bears down by 2 to SEMO with 5 seconds left and SEMO on the line shooting 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm 
UserName Retired

Sugar Bears Lost 64-60 to the defending OVC champs!! Way to go Ladies!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:24 am 
Two-Time All-American

Oh, so that is the way it is going to be? We play somebody close and congratulate the team?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:00 am 
UserName Retired

UCABEARS75 wrote:
Oh, so that is the way it is going to be? We play somebody close and congratulate the team?

Why wouldn't you congratulate t he team for playing a hard fought game against a defending DI conference champ when your team is in their first year of transition to DI...they are playing very well, just one shot here or there and they would have won...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:18 am 
Two-Time All-American

OK, I will answer honestly.

I think the team is very poorly coached. I have never wavered in that opinion.

The game the other night against UT-Martin is a good example of what they did last year...horrible shot selection.

My point is they may very well have played better at SEMO but I just do not want our women's program, with all it's proud tradition, to sink to the level where we are happy with keeping it close.

While we are "in our first year of transition to D-I" the truth of the matter is that due to academic requirements there are many D-II women's teams, and some men's but women's in particular, who are better than the bottom feeder D-I women's teams/conferences.

As I said last year, I hope to be proven wrong but I am very concerned that our women's team will continue to perform at a level below their talent, which they did last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:21 am 
UserName Retired

UCABEARS75 wrote:
I think the team is very poorly coached. I have never wavered in that opinion.

No you haven't... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:43 am 
Two-Time All-American

And I have never wavered in supporting all the teams and I hope the Sugar Bears and Coach Horton prove me very wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:59 am 
UserName Retired

I did a double-take when we attempted a 3 at the end when only down two. But I had also just heard the men lose in overtime on the road, so I can't really say it was a "bad" decision.

Won't be at Saturday's game, but I hope to make it on Monday if I'm not too tired from the drive back from GA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:00 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Like I was saying to Josh and Trey in the chat last night ... yeah you want to win, but there are going to be a lot of bumps in the road right now and you might as well try to find the positives in the situation or you're going to lead a miserable existence being irritated all the time.

The Sugar Bears lost a close game on the road to the defending OVC Champs. They rebounded better than they did against Tennessee-Martin. They improved. And for a team starting two JUCO transfers and and playing three freshmen, you need to expect they won't be one great, cohesive unit out of the gate. It's going to take a few games – you just hope they keep improving. How you play in November isn't nearly as important as how you play in March. And for UCA the next four years, it really doesn't matter how you're playing in March.

Hopefully most people will realize the challenge that goes with this transition and actually support the teams. Of course, you will have the one or two with an axe to grind who will be on here crying after every game and calling for the coach's head. And then say "And I have never wavered in supporting all the teams ..." . I don't quite get how hopping online and blasting the coach time and time again is being supportive.

I guess there are fans and there are critics. If it makes you feel better and gives you some sense of fulfillment going on about how horrible the Sugar Bears and/or their coach are ... well, I'm glad I'm not you.

Also, Trey – I got to thinking about the 3 at the end ... sometimes players don't execute the plays as the coaches call them. Now, whether that's the case or not from last night, I don't know. But I just thought I'd throw that out there.

But just as we all knew the Bears were probably done for when the Bonnies forced OT on their home floor with the momentum, and just like we saw the UConn football team go for two and the win (and get it) against Pitt, sometimes it's better to just play for the win. And, obviously, sometimes you come up short. There's no right answer – until after the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:42 pm 
UserName Retired

King of the South wrote:
Also, Trey – I got to thinking about the 3 at the end ... sometimes players don't execute the plays as the coaches call them. Now, whether that's the case or not from last night, I don't know. But I just thought I'd throw that out there.

But just as we all knew the Bears were probably done for when the Bonnies forced OT on their home floor with the momentum, and just like we saw the UConn football team go for two and the win (and get it) against Pitt, sometimes it's better to just play for the win. And, obviously, sometimes you come up short. There's no right answer – until after the game.

Totally agree with everything.
It didn't come out this way, but looking back if I was a coach I think I would have played for the three. That's what I was trying to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

King of the South wrote:
Like I was saying to Josh and Trey in the chat last night ... yeah you want to win, but there are going to be a lot of bumps in the road right now and you might as well try to find the positives in the situation or you're going to lead a miserable existence being irritated all the time.

The Sugar Bears lost a close game on the road to the defending OVC Champs. They rebounded better than they did against Tennessee-Martin. They improved. And for a team starting two JUCO transfers and and playing three freshmen, you need to expect they won't be one great, cohesive unit out of the gate. It's going to take a few games – you just hope they keep improving. How you play in November isn't nearly as important as how you play in March. And for UCA the next four years, it really doesn't matter how you're playing in March.

Hopefully most people will realize the challenge that goes with this transition and actually support the teams. Of course, you will have the one or two with an axe to grind who will be on here crying after every game and calling for the coach's head. And then say "And I have never wavered in supporting all the teams ..." . I don't quite get how hopping online and blasting the coach time and time again is being supportive.

I guess there are fans and there are critics. If it makes you feel better and gives you some sense of fulfillment going on about how horrible the Sugar Bears and/or their coach are ... well, I'm glad I'm not you.

Also, Trey – I got to thinking about the 3 at the end ... sometimes players don't execute the plays as the coaches call them. Now, whether that's the case or not from last night, I don't know. But I just thought I'd throw that out there.

But just as we all knew the Bears were probably done for when the Bonnies forced OT on their home floor with the momentum, and just like we saw the UConn football team go for two and the win (and get it) against Pitt, sometimes it's better to just play for the win. And, obviously, sometimes you come up short. There's no right answer – until after the game.

Well, we agree on one a few things, for one, I'm glad you are not me too.

While everyone's level of support or idea of support is different ,I stand quite confident in myself as a supporter. I go to games, I cheer, I send checks regularly.

When the Sugar Bears were winning I was not happy with the coaching. Pure and simple I believe our women's head coach is in over her head. I am not constantly calling for her head or any other coach's head. I have called for coach's heads in my 30 plus years of backing the Bears and I probably will again. Thus is the nature of sports. It is my opinion that for what she is being paid and the talent level she inherited, and yes I believe she is an excellent recruiter, she is not a good game coach. The Sugar Bears have played a type of game lacking in discipline since Ron Marvell retired. Two years ago we were good enough to overcome it. I do not think we will be able to overcome it in the future. Once again, I hope I am proven wrong. If I am proven wrong I will come on this board and admit that I was wrong. However, my having an opinion does not make me a bad fan.

While I agree with you in saying that how we play in November is much less important than how we play in March, I disagree very strongly with your take that it does not matter how we play in March. These games we play while in our transitional phase have a strong impact in our future both through recruiting and fan support. I agree that we still have time to improve.

I have no axe to grind. I think Coach Horton is a nice lady and was a very good asst. coach. It is my opinion she is in over her head. I am not a coach. But I have seen many more UCA games than most on this board and my having an opinion that is something different than "all is well" does not make me a bad fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:00 pm 
UserName Retired

UCABEARS75 wrote:
While I agree with you in saying that how we play in November is much less important than how we play in March, I disagree very strongly with your take that it does not matter how we play in March.

I think he was implying there would be no "March Madness" for the next four years, not that the games don't matter for four years.

I could be wrong though, but that's how I read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:19 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
UCABEARS75 wrote:
While I agree with you in saying that how we play in November is much less important than how we play in March, I disagree very strongly with your take that it does not matter how we play in March.

I think he was implying there would be no "March Madness" for the next four years, not that the games don't matter for four years.

May be what he was thinking but that was not what he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
treyuca wrote:
UCABEARS75 wrote:

May be what he was thinking but that was not what he said.

So I didn't spell it out in a perfectly literal sense. Trey at least understood what was the implication was, you missed it. I don't know why you'd get so bent out of shape about that one tongue-in-cheek comment, when this year we have exactly one game in March. Obviously every game has some importance, be it November, March, SAU or ASU. I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about a lack of postseason play and not literally meaning any game played in March had zero importance. But if you want to apply a literal interpretation to every bit of message board chatter on here and check your inferential skills at the door, by all means do whatever makes you happy.

Anyhow, you're entitled to your opinion and if you're of the opinion that the women's basketball coach is in over her head, then so be it. Given your affinity for telling everybody how bad you think she is, it always seemed to me you had some sort of personal vendetta going against the woman. But you say you don't, and a man's only as good as his word so I'll just accept that you like the woman but are dissatisfied with the coach.

Here's my thing:

UCABEARS75 wrote:
These games we play while in our transitional phase have a strong impact in our future both through recruiting and fan support.

If you're truly concerned about recruiting and fan support, do you think airing your dissenting, negative comments about the coach on a public forum that can be read across the nation is doing anything to help recruiting or fan support? If recruits hop online and see that the coach is in over her head and will never be able to win and so forth, that probably doesn't get them real excited about going to that school.

But of course, you can say whatever you want.