It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sugar Bears Saturday Afternoon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:18 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

put this one behind us and move on...

Sugar Bears play at the Farris Center at 2 on Saturday afternoon vs. Texas State. Come out and support the girls! I know if TT was around, he'd be pulling for us vs. the other cats... :lol:

Post subject: Re: Sugar Bears Saturday Afternoon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:59 pm 
All-Conference

(Sugar)Bear Fan 101 wrote:
Sugar Bears play at the Farris Center at 2 on Saturday afternoon vs. Texas State. Come out and support the girls! I know if TT was around, he'd be pulling for us vs. the other cats... :lol:

SLC play is very interesting with the divisional format. I'm already having a tough time knowing who to root for this early in the season.

There is only one thing I decided when talking to a fellow Kat last night. I have decided that I want UCA to win out except for games except against SHSU. Seeing as you folks do not make the tournament (so it does not impact our seed) and that I do not see UCA competing as it relates to the Commish Cup points atleast this year, I'm rooting for the Bears!

BearFan101, we're going to have to get together next football season whether it's Oct 6th in Huntsville, Oct 20th in Hammond or both dates...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Texas State is 8-6 (1-0) in SLC play after knocking off NW State by 4 last night. They are only 2-4 on the road this season however.

The cats also have a 1st team preseason All-SLC member in Joyce Ekworomadu playing for them. She averages 13 points 5 rebounds a game for them. May be a good matchup between her and Caronica Randle tomorrow if we, or they decide to go that route, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:03 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

TexasTerror wrote:
BearFan101, we're going to have to get together next football season whether it's Oct 6th in Huntsville, Oct 20th in Hammond or both dates...

I'll be making a trip or two down to LA in the coming months with the team actually before then.

Thu 1/25 Southeastern Louisiana* Hammond, La. 7 p.m.
Sat 1/27 Nicholls State* Thibodaux, La. 2 p.m.
Sat 2/17 McNeese State* Lake Charles, La. 4 p.m.
Sat 3/3 Northwestern State* Natchitoches, La. 2 p.m.

Those are our trips to LA coming up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:26 pm 
UserName Retired

TT wrote:
I have decided that I want UCA to win out except for games except against SHSU. Seeing as you folks do not make the tournament (so it does not impact our seed) and that I do not see UCA competing as it relates to the Commish Cup points atleast this year, I'm rooting for the Bears!

Damn, thanks for the sincerity of your support for the Bears. I'll be sure and pass it on to the teams. Should get them fired up enough to want to go undefeated the rest of the year! Your condescending support is not greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:48 pm 
UserName Retired

Joyce Ekworomadu

Can't wait to hear the announcer guy say that name.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:20 pm 
All-Conference

Thu 1/25 Southeastern Louisiana* Hammond, La. 7 p.m.
Sat 1/27 Nicholls State* Thibodaux, La. 2 p.m.

That's right up my alley. I'm trying to think what I have going on then, not too sure. Any clue where the Sugar Bears are staying? NOLA? Or in Hammond, Thibodaux?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:03 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

nope, no clue where the SB's are staying that trip, probably wont know until closer to time, but I don't think NOLA is in the plans, but I could always be wrong.

as far as other things mentioned above...

"Ek WO Ro Mah Doo"...until told otherwise... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:36 am 
UserName Retired

SBF101 wrote:
"Ek WO Ro Mahd Oo"...until told otherwise...

Shot clock will be expired before ole Steve can get that one out. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:27 pm 
UserName Retired

Another L....90-63! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:50 pm 
UserName Retired

joshuca wrote:
Another L....90-63! :oops:

This is definitely not going to put butts in the seats at Ferris. Two back to back (let me put this nicely) thumpings. One or two more of these in the near future and I suspect an increase of activity of opinions on the board here. Justifiably so :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

That's right. Sadly, support can only look the other way so long. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:33 pm 
Starter

Our sugar bears need some help-something is going on with that team and it shows when they are on the court. The street ball needs to quit and they need to start playing as a team. I think it has something to do with the coaching.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:21 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Texas State did a good job of shutting Caronica down. She only got six shot attempts, as they kept the ball out of her hands a lot, and when she did have it she was rarely in good position to hoist a decent shot. To her credit, she didn't force the issue too much and passed out of it. Looking back, though, maybe she should have tried to make something happen more. Only two free throws for her ... that doesn't happen often. She usually gets to the line a lot more than that.

It was good to see Mariesha get going a little bit, as they're going to need her to play well consistently down the stretch. Granted, it took her 15 shots to get 15 points, but hopefully the ones she did make will get her rolling a little.

Not that it would've mattered in the outcome of the game, but I wish Sample could've gotten more looks. She seemed pretty locked in, hitting 4 of her 5 shots (all 3s) and 3 of 4 free throws. Maybe if she got a couple of Piggee's 15 shots or Dobbins' 9, it would've been a little closer.

There were two big differences in that game yesterday – shot selection, and simply making plays.

UCA took too many shots early in the possession, looking for the quick strike – often on an ill-advised layup or off-balanced short-range jumper by penetrating guards.

On the other end, Texas State just flat out made some plays. Even when the defense was playing well and shots were defended about as good as they can be, the Bobcats were knocking them down. They were getting good, even if guarded, looks, and just weren't missing a whole lot. They got the ball inside plenty for high-percentage shots, and were out of their minds on 3-pointers. They came into the game averaging 28 percent or so, and ended up hitting 45.5 percent.

They had some girls who could really create their own shot and could shoot it outside or can the mid-range J. And inside, particularly the Ekworomadu and Putnam girls, they were a load.

What's weird is that Texas State beat UMKC by 5 at home. UCA went on the road to UMKC and won by 12 in a game that wasn't that close. Then, Texas State comes to UCA and blasts the Sugar Bears by 27. Basketball is an entirely different beast from football. In football, two teams can line up and play 10 times and the outcome probably won't change too terribly much.
In basketball, you never know. Ohio State will probably beat Arkansas State 9 or 10 of 10, but you start getting teams that are anywhere close to equal footing and, from day to day, you just never know.

Arkansas kicked the living crap out of Bama yesterday, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Tide win the rematch later in the year. Maybe the Sugar Bears will have similar fortunes with the Bobcats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:52 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Photos from yesterday's game as well online.
http://agent.lcdesign.net/tip/archive/01-07-2007/

and for those keeping score at home, the official pronunciation was,
"Ek WORM a Doo" and from what I was able to understand, the announcer didnt fumble it once! :lol: