It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sugar Bears @ SFA Thursday night
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:49 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Sugar Bears travel to Nac, Texas to take on the Ladyjacks of SFA.
7 pm tipoff (6:52 pregame) on the UCA Sports Network.

Here's your scouting report...and this is just about the program...

the SFA Ladyjacks have won 14 of 19 Southland Conf. regular season titles and 15 of 19 SLC tournament titles.

25 times in the program’s history SFA has won at least 20 games in a season since the program began back in 1972-73.

The Ladyjacks are among the nation’s all-time top 10 with 787 wins. The Ladyjacks are also among the all-time top 10 with a .731 winning percentage (787-290)...this includes schools like Tennessee, Duke, UConn, Texas, Stanford, Carolina and so on...

As far as their players go, SR Charity Egenti and JR Nikki Carr are the ones to listen for on the Ladyjack end. They can ball a bit.

The Papa John's Postgame Show will air directly following the game as well on all the UCA Sports Network stations and internet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:18 am 
All-Conference

Can we avoid a preview when the SBs play the Kats? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 am 
Two-Time All-American

LOL no if he does it for one he has to do it for all LOL....It'll be just the nicer version!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Sugar Bears losing down by 11 w/ under 4 minutes left in the 2nd half. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:44 pm 
UserName Retired

64-54 final.

Caronica scored just 2 points? Obviously we won't win any games where she gets shut down like that.

Both teams shot terribly. SFA just controlled the boards apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm 
UserName Retired

Steve Owens just said that Caronica only played 20 minutes?

I didn't listen to the whole game I admit, so can someone please tell me why our best player only played 20 minutes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:05 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
Steve Owens just said that Caronica only played 20 minutes?

I didn't listen to the whole game I admit, so can someone please tell me why our best player only played 20 minutes?

Steve mentioned in the post game interview w/ Coach Seals that a few freshman got considerable playing time tonight. She said that the older players "just weren't getting it done" so she let the youngsters play. Either Caronica wasn't hustling/playing hard or fatigue is starting to set in on the Sugar Bears. I am anxious to find out a little more details on this situation. Hopefully sitting will light a fire under some of these players and they will get back to balling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:15 pm 
UserName Retired

I wonder if the "flu" has hit UCA yet. My wife teaches in Conway and a "flu" has hit here pretty hard and some of her students are out. I was down for a few days myself. It's going around. Any mention of it by the coaches? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BEARS2006 wrote:
I wonder if the "flu" has hit UCA yet. My wife teaches in Conway and a "flu" has hit here pretty hard and some of her students are out. I was down for a few days myself. It's going around. Any mention of it by the coaches? :?:

No but I can't imagine any of the players feeling well after a loss like this!
:-({|= :cry: ](*,) #-o :oops: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I don't know how much if any it affected her play tonight, but earlier in the week Caronica was pretty sick ... had to sit out some practice and was on the meds pretty hard.

If that played into it at all or not, it could be one of those deals where you figure out pretty much this one's out of reach – so you sit some of your older players and let them watch for a little while as a motivational tool for the last six games. If you can get something positive in the long run out of a game that's already gone, then at least the loss wasn't totally in vain.

Caronica was 0-8 to that point and hadn't done a whole lot at the line, so it seemed it wasn't going to be her night. I guess maybe she could've flipped the switch and went 6 for her next 6 or something, but it didn't seem likely.

Hopefully – if there were some motivational motives at play – they took, since none of these last six games are unwinnable and going 5-1 would get the Sugar Bears to .500 in league play and for the season. It'll be an uphill climb with trips to Lamar and NW St. left, and a home game against SLU, but any of those could go either way. Of course, same could be said for the Nicholls and Sam games ... and maybe even at McNeese, though I'd like to think not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:57 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

as far as I know, the flu didnt play any part of the game last night. although there were some girls feeling under the weather, by game time everyone was about as good as they could go. BTW, Sugar Bear Express pulled in safe and sound at 3:15 this morning.

SFA crashed the boards, not necessarily harder, but more effective than the Sugar Bears, and then the turnovers seemed to me to be the keys in the game. UCA outshot the Ladyjacks for the game actually.

It was a very positive sign to see how the younger girls performed in a big time game last night. A couple really got their frist real extened minutes of the season, and for the most part, all did well and made a good showing for themself. Hopefully they picked up some confidence going forward for the rest of this year, and beyond.

I'm encouraged about what I'm seeing, but the big thing is, will it carry over from game to game. I hope so, we'll find out tomorrow night at the Farris Center against Sam Houston at 6 pm.