It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2021-2022 Season
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:04 pm 
UserName Retired

https://ucasports.com/news/2021/7/1/womens-basketball-sugar-bears-add-banks-phillips-to-coaching-staff.aspx

Women's Basketball 7/1/2021 10:33:00 AM Chad Smith

Sugar Bears Add Banks, Phillips to Coaching Staff

CONWAY, Ark. – Head Coach Sandra Rushing and the Central Arkansas women's basketball team announced the addition of Allie Banks and Tiffany Phillips to the coaching staff Thursday. The additions bring a plethora of knowledge and experience to Conway.

Banks joins UCA after stints as an assistant coach at Mississippi College and Arkansas-Monticello. During her time at UAM, she helped coach the team to its first ever Great American Conference (GAC) Tournament final after the team was selected to finish 12th. The squad started the season 7-0, its best start since the 1976-77 season. She aided in the team's first 20-win season since 1997-98 and helped guide the team to its first win over a ranked opponent in the GAC era. She played a vital role in the team's first ever national ranking in the NCAA era. Banks is no stranger to the Purple and Gray as her dad played baseball and football for the Bears. Her grandfather, aunt, great aunt, and great uncle all graduated from UCA.

Rushing on Banks: "I'm very pleased that Coach Banks has decided to join our program. She is a young, upcoming coach who has great passion for the game. She came up in a coaching family. It's in her blood. Without a doubt, she's one of the most competitive people I know and that drive is going to carry over to her coaching career and make her successful. Her work ethic, knowledge for the game and organizational skills will be very valuable for us. Coach Banks is a tremendous person and is willing to put in extra time when needed to help make our program be successful. She has great ties with Arkansas basketball which will be a great asset to our program. She's gained valuable experience working with Coach Long at Mississippi College. I am so excited to work with Coach Banks."

Banks on being a Sugar Bear: "When given this opportunity to move back to Arkansas and be forty minutes from home, I knew it was the right time and UCA was the right fit. My family has always bled purple and I'm honored that Coach Rushing chose me for this position. I look forward to getting to know our players and working with this incredible staff. #BearClawsUp."

Phillips joins the Sugar Bears after six years as the head coach of the Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU) women's basketball team. While at SAGU, she recorded an 80-72 record, was named the Central Region Coach of the Year in 2018, coached three All-Americans, and produced the program's first ranking in over 20 years. She has also coached high school basketball in Arkansas at Marshall, Sacred Heart, Hector, and Bryant. Phillips is no stranger to UCA as she was an assistant for the Sugar Bears from 2006-11. Prior to becoming a coach, she was a Gulf South Conference (GSC) All-Conference honoree at Harding University.

Rushing on Phillips: "I'm really excited to have Coach Phillips join our staff. I knew immediately that she was the right person for the job. I have had the opportunity to work with Coach Phillips at Delta State, she knows my philosophy and what I expect. Coach Phillips has been a head coach, and that brings knowledge and experience to our staff. She knows how to win, and has a tremendous work ethic and passion for the game. She will work tirelessly to make sure our program keeps improving in every aspect. Coach Phillips will play a very valuable role in serving as our recruiting coordinator. Her familiarity with Arkansas will be a great asset to our program. Coach Phillips is a great person and will be a great role model for our players. I look forward to working with her."

Phillips on being a Sugar Bear: "I am so excited for this opportunity to be back at the University of Central Arkansas. I am an Arkansas girl and to be home is so incredibly important to me. I look forward to trying to recruit Arkansas girls and get them in this program. I think UCA is an amazing place to be and I believe Conway is a great city with great people. I want to thank Coach Rushing and Dr. Brad Teague for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to work for this institution. Coach Rushing is a great head coach and mentor and I am excited to be back working with her. I look forward to helping her and the staff grow this program and keep us on the map in Arkansas and in the Atlantic Sun. This is a blessing for me to be here and I don't take the responsibility lightly. Being back to work with Coach Rushing, Dr. Teague, Natalie Shock, Darrell Walsh, Steve East and all the support staff here at UCA is a huge honor for me. These are some great people and I am honored to be back on campus with them."

Post subject: Re: 2021-2022 Season
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:30 pm 
UserName Retired

https://ucasports.com/news/2021/9/8/womens-basketball-chapman-joins-sugar-bear-coaching-staff.aspx

CONWAY, Ark. — Head Coach Sandra Rushing and the Central Arkansas women's basketball team announced the addition of Olivia Chapman to the coaching staff on Wednesday.

Chapman joins UCA after spending two years at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma. While on staff with the Drovers, she aided in the team's 35-14 record over the course of two seasons. She coached two All-Americans and five All-SAC (Sooner Athletic Conference) selections. From 2017-19, she was a graduate assistant at Trevecca Nazarene University. While on staff with the Trojans, the team saw an increase in wins each season. She helped guide two players to earn All-GMAC honors. While at Trevecca, she earned a master's degree in organizational leadership.

Prior to coaching, Chapman played four seasons at Southern Nazarene University. While a member of the Crimson Storm, she helped SNU earn its first ever Great American Conference (GAC) Tournament appearance. She was a three-time Academic All-GAC honoree.

From the Coach – Head Coach Sandra Rushing
"We are thrilled to have Coach Chapman on staff. She is a bright young coach who brings a wealth of knowledge and passion to our staff. She has great energy and ideas that will be of benefit to our program and she has proven to be good with the players in a short amount of time. We are lucky to have found someone of her caliber this late in the summer."

From the Coach – Assistant Coach Olivia Chapman
"I am overjoyed and honored to join the Sugar Bear family! Coach Rushing is a phenomenal coach, leader, and person. I would like to thank her for this opportunity to join the incredible coaching staff that she has put together. I will do my best to add value to the program, and I'm excited to assist in helping the players grow both on and off the court. It is truly a blessing to be a part of such a great program and institution."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:35 am 
Redshirt

Will the ASun have its own basketball conference this season or be part of a ASun/WAC coalition like in football?

I will definitely miss the Bears and Sugar Bears in the SLC, though it appears McNeese's days in the SLC are numbered with a move, most likely, to the WAC along with UIW.

Don't know who it will all pan out, but now it appears Sam Houston and Jacksonville State (and New Mexico State from the WAC) will move to the C-USA. What does this do to the rest of the ASun? Maybe UCA could apply to the WAC?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:27 pm 
UserName Retired

As I understand, the AQ7 arrangement for football is due to ASUN not having football until now and not enough teams in either WAC or ASUN for 2021 to qualify for FCS auto bid.

The ASUN website shows 13 teams with basketball. That would be more than enough to keep their auto bid.

Then again, we are dealing with NCAA rules.....

Hoping the best for our old SLC opponents and that they end up somewhere good.....McNeese, Southeastern, Nicholls and UCA make up a core plenty strong for football conference....add Northwestern for 5 teams.....maybe Delta State and North Alabama for 7....the minimum (I think for FCS AQ....have to read some more)....with Jacksonville State going to CUSA, that may let UNA think more about looking west...maybe Florence to south LA is too far away but no worse than we have in ASUN to almost everyone.....

What a mess.....many thanks to UT and OU....

PS....my views of the south La schools goes back to the 1960s and the Gulf South days....have long liked the idea of UCA being with those schools....we at least speak a similar language!! All have long sports traditions....and always great competition since we moved up to D1... I will miss that.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 pm 
UserName Retired

SugarBears heading into the early season.....

11/9: @ Kansas State
11/12: Hendrix
11/16: @ OU
11/20: ULM

Not as scary as Bears opening 4 games....I guess is Hendrix is a real game and not exhibition but need to use that game to (a) get an early win and (b) get team shaped up.....then maybe come back home after trip to Norman and take a win over Monroe.....

Some returners that might make a solid core....Langhi, Walker, Hudspeth, Ibeh...lots of FR who need to step in and up quickly....Go SugarBears!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:44 pm 
UserName Retired

11/9/21 @ Kansas State

UCA 3-10-11-16=40
KSU 17-22-30-34=103

Totally outgunned.....was hoping for something closer....poor shooting.....27% FG vs 53%..only 1/12 from 3s...only 53% FTs....<15> rebounds and <18> on TOs....<33> POTO....<9> blocks...<40> PIP.......

Wright led SBs with 17 on 7/17 FG shooting....Ibeh 7/7 night....

On the bright side we scored more in each quarter than the quarter before....however, so did K-State....

Hard first game.....now Hendrix at home on Friday.....wish that game would have been first....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:30 pm 
UserName Retired

11/12 vs Hendrix

HC 10-9-12-4=35
UCA 24-22-15-13=74

Never much learned by these games...BUT you get a chance to run offense and defense in real game and not just in practice.....used to call these exhibition games...still had 12 TOs.....

Luch Ibeh led SBs with 18/9 game....

Next game at OU on 11/16...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 pm 
UserName Retired

11/16/21 @ Oklahoma

UCA 11-8-17-18=54
OU 14-22-18-24=78

UCA/OU

FG%: 40% (55 shots) v 42% (59 shots)....UCA 1 made
3s%: 33% v 23%...OU +4 made
FT%: 73% v 65%....OU +14 made...funny how B12 home team gets to the line
Rebs: 8/26/34 vs 13/27/40
TOs: 28 v 19

Lucy Ibeh a solid game at 15/8..also Hannah Langhi at 11/7....Randrea Wright added 10..12 SBs got to play....OU's Skylar Vann had a 112/11 DD and Ana Lhanusa led all scorers with 12...

A loss is a loss..........however, OU shot better from 3s and made almost 3x more FTs than UCA shot.....hard to win in that situation.....some good things from the core players.....

Next game is Sat 1pm vs UM at Farris Center..be nice to have a good crowd....might get a win....Warhawks are 1-2 with the win over Louisiana Christian and losses to Grambling State by 69-61 (GSU's only game so far) and to Southern Miss by 77-60 (only D1 in so far)....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:25 pm 
UserName Retired

11/20/21 vs ULM

ULM 11-12-8-10=41 (1-2)
UCA 20-9-24-9= 62 (2-2)

Good win over a Sunbelt team....

UCA/ULM
FG%: 42% v 29% .... UCA +12 on made 2s....
3s%: 31% v 27%....UCA +1 made....
FT%: 83% v 62% ....UCA +2 made.....
TOs: 23 v 12...way too many TOs....
Rebs: 21-30-51 v 9-10-19......wow....

Lucy Ibeh leads again at 17/13 with Hannah Langhi close behind at 17/8....Carley Hudspeth added 12 and Jayla Cody was 10/.....

Next game Tue va Alcorn at FC......

Go SugarBears!!

"CONWAY, Ark. – The Sugar Bears basketball team turned in another stifling defensive performance at home Saturday afternoon, defeating the ULM Warhawks 62-41. Junior Lucy Ibeh posted her first double-double of the season in the win, notching 17 points and 13 rebounds.

Senior Hannah Langhi added 17 of her own, while Jayla Cody reached double-figures for the second time this season.

"I thought we played pretty unselfishly today," Head coach Sandra Rushing said of the win. "We beat a really good team today, and we did it as a team."

After a dominating first quarter in which UCA built a double-digit lead, the Warhawks pulled within six to close the first half. A refocused Central Arkansas pulled away in the second half, never leaving any doubt down the stretch.

The Sugar Bears launched off to an 8-0 start, getting four quick points from Cody, establishing both a strong defensive game plan while also working hard to get inside the paint on offense. The run reached as much as 12-2 before the Louisiana Monroe offense started to find its groove, and the Warhawks scored seven of their 11 first quarter points in the final four minutes. UCA led 20-11 after the first stanza.

Central Arkansas' offense slowed considerably in the second, but the defense remained intense as in the first. Ibeh added four more points to her total, reaching eight at the halfway mark. The lead stood at six points at the halfway break, 29-23.

Experience took over in the third quarter, as Ibeh and Langhi powered their way to baskets in the quarter. The duo combined for 15 of the 24 UCA points and eight rebounds, outscoring the opposition by themselves. It was during the third that Ibeh grabbed her tenth rebound, clinching the double-double with time to spare. On the other end, the defense allowed just eight points on 3-of-13 shooting.

Once in the fourth quarter, the defense locked down the Warhawks, limiting them to 10 points on just two field goals. In all, the second half fell 33-18 in favor of the Sugar Bears. The UCA defense held Louisiana Monroe to just 5-of-26 shooting, a 19.2 percent clip, using stifling defense at the rim to pull away for their second win of the season.

The Sugar Bears stay at home for the next couple of games, playing Alcorn State next Tuesday. Tip-off against the Braves is set for 7 p.m. at the Farris Center."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 am 
UserName Retired

11/23/21 vs Alcorn State

ASU 12-17-5-14=48 (0-4)
UCA 18-16-12-18=64 (3-2)

UCA/ASU

FG%: 50% v 32% ....UCA +7 made 2s
3s%: 33% v 31%...ASU +5 made
FT%: 68% v 67%...UCA +17 made...get to the line and get uncontested shots
TOs: 27 v 16...WAY too many TOs..got to correct this...
Rebs: 11-30-41 v 9-16-25....excellent board work by SBs....

https://ucasports.com/news/2021/11/23/womens-basketball-sugar-bears-pick-up-home-win-over-alcorn-state.aspx

"It certainly wasn't the prettiest basketball at times, but the Central Arkansas women's basketball team picked up a win over Alcorn State Tuesday evening. The 64-48 final score was highlighted by Lucy Ibeh's season-best 27 points, paired with 12 rebounds for the double-double.

Senior Carley Hudspeth and freshman Randrea Wright also scored in double-figures, adding 15 and 13 points, respectively. The Sugar Bears drew 28 fouls from the visitors, earning 31 trips to the free throw line.

"They were hot from three in the first half," Head coach Sandra Rushing remarked. "But we were able to adjust in the second half, our rebounding was good all night long, and that helped us get the win."

Tuesday night was something of a clash of styles early on in, featuring the methodical, attack-the-rim style of UCA against the chaotic, hundred-miles-an-hour style of Alcorn State. A closely contested first quarter saw the Sugar Bears score 14 of their 18 points in the paint, yet five turnovers and a pair of threes kept the Lady Braves close. Ibeh scored 10 points in the period, helping UCA to an 18-12 lead after one period.

The second quarter was much of the same, with the Sugar Bears battling inside, getting quality looks in the paint, only to have Alcorn State come down and hit a three to keep it a close game. The Lady Braves connected on five triples in the second quarter. UCA was able to answer with a pair of three-pointers from Hudspeth and Langhi to keep the lead at five at the midway break. Ibeh added four points from the free throw line to give herself 14 points for the half.

With halftime adjustments in mind, the UCA defense tightened the vice on the visitors, running shooters off the line and staying the hip pockets of the Lady Brave shooters, allowing only one attempt from beyond the arc in the third quarter. Once inside the arc, the length of the Sugar Bears bothered shots throughout the quarter, holding Alcorn State to just five points in the stanza. On the other end, 10 of the 12 points for UCA were from the paint, with the other two coming at the free throw line. After 30 minutes of basketball, Central Arkansas had stretched the lead to a dozen, entering the fourth up 46-34.

After a chaotic, messy three quarters, the experience of the Sugar Bears took over, as they did on Saturday, to put the game away. Scoring mostly from the free throw line in the fourth, Hudspeth, Ibeh and Langhi scored 15 of 18 points down the stretch to keep the visitors at bay. Wright capped off her night with a trio of freebies, eclipsing double-figure scoring for the fourth time this season. Ibeh also pulled down three rebounds in the period, securing her second double-double of the season in the home win.

Looking ahead, the Sugar Bears have one more game at the Farris Center before hitting the road again, playing Northern Kentucky on Saturday. Tip-off against the Norse is set for 1 p.m."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:11 am 
UserName Retired

11/27/21 vs Northern Kentucky

UNK 11-12-13-19-8=63 (4-2)
UCA 13-14-19-9-4=59 (3-3)

UCA/UNK:
FG%: 43% v 41%....SBs +1 made 2s
3s%: 43% v 20% ...SBs +1 made 3s
FT%: 63% v 70% ....UNK +9 made FT!!!!
Rebs: 8-21-29 v 12-26-38 ....UNK was a+6 2nd chance pts and +6 PIP in OT
TOs: 12 v 12 .....much better....UNK was a+4 including +2 in OT

Langhi led with 15...Ibeh had a 12/10 DD but had 5 TOs....Cody added 12 and Walker 10...

Plenty of ways to win this one...like not scoring in final 2 minutes of OT....or missing 4 FTs in Q4....just let it slip away....probably better get used to ASUN teams scrapping til the very end....

Next up is Sat vat UALR with tip at 2pm.....UALR is 4-4 as below:

Loss vs Mo State, 62-76
W @ Vandy, 56-40
W vs UAPB, 73-63
W vs Memphis, 55-50
W vs Auburn, 57-49
L vs ACU at Tulsa, 61-66
L vs ORU at Tulsa, 56-74
L @ Texas A&M, 50-65

Better play very good basketball to get a road win tomorrow....Go SugarBears!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:29 pm 
UserName Retired

12/4/21@UALR

UCA 13-9-8-8=38 (3-4)
UALR 15-16-16-15=62 (5-4)

UCA/UALR:
FG%: 34% v 35%...UALR +2 made 2s
3s: ZERO v 42% .... UALR +8 made
FT%: 56% v 100%....UCA +4 made
Rebs: 35 v 33.....UALR +9 POTO and +6 o-rebs
TOs: 27 v 12.....way too many

Stats amazingly similar except that UALR was +28 shots taken......that is what TOs and o-rebs can do for you....

Other than Randrea Wright's 12/5 game not many other highlights....

Next game 12/12 @ Tulsa tip at 1pm....Go SugarBears!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:19 pm 
UserName Retired

12/12/21 @ Tulsa

UCA 7-12-9-18=46 (3-5)
TU 26-12-23-17=78 (8-0)

UCA/TU:
FG%: 35% v 47% .. SBs +3 2s made
3s%: 25% v 48%....TU +11 made
FT%: 80% v 100%....only 14 total FTs...almost like they were playing hide and seek
Rebs: 8-24/32 v
TOs: 14 v 10....better....

Be from a higher tier basketball conference, play at home and make 48% of 3s...usually going to win.....TU won by 32 and +33 from 3s....wow. ...SBs won 2nd and 4th by 30-29 but lost 1st and 3rd by 49-16...ugh....

Not many highlights for SBs....Hannah Langhi did score 10 and grabbed 6 rebs, no TOs, an assist and a block for a solid...Fowler added 9 and Hudspeth 7 as Fornah got 6 rebs....bench scored 24 of 46 points....

Next up is CBC at FC tip at 1pm.....Go SugarBears!!

Of interest, Northern Kentucky who slipped by UCA won by 80-69 at Saint Louis last night.

Last edited by JRK on Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:32 pm 
UserName Retired

12/16/21 vs CBC at FC

CBC 8-10-9-5= 32 (0-2)
UCA 17-6-16-21=70 (4-5)

Not sure why box score shows CBC is now 0-2,,,their online schedule shows 7-4, including tonight's loss....

UCA/CBC:

FG%: 46% v 22% ... SBs +15 made 2s
3s%: 31% v 18%....each made 4
FT%: 64% v 75% ... SBs +8 made
Rebs: 16-27/43 v 11-18/29
TOs: 19 v 28...sloppy game.....47 TOs

Positives..a win over a NAIA is a win if it helps play better...time will tell.......48 bench points....25 POTO....11 SBs scored....Lucy Ibeh 16/11 DD with 2As and 4 steals....got to FT line 22x....

Not so positives.....25 PO 28 TOs....19 TO committed.....still missed 8 FTs....

Next up is UAF in NLR on Sat at 1pm......like to see a solid game whatever the outcome....UAF season to date below....8-2 overall

Tarleton, 85-33
UAPB, 96-53
@ #7 UConn, 80-95
@A-State, 94-71
SMU, 65-58
Sam Houston State, 92-66
Belmont, 83-63
@Central Florida, 51-52
Jackson State, 66-62...JSU is 1-4 with win over Nicholls by 75-59...very competitive losses to Miami, Ole Miss, Texas, UAF
UALR, 73-39....wow...UALR has wins over Vandy, Memphis and Auburn!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:10 pm 
UserName Retired

12/18/21 - UCA vs UAF at NLR

https://ucasports.com/news/2021/12/18/womens-basketball-falls-to-razorbacks-on-saturday.aspx

UCA 14-15-4-11=44 (4-6)
UAF 20-22-17-23=82 (10-2)

UCA/UAF:

FG%: 30% v 50%.....SBs +1 FGs attempted...UAF +2 @s made
3s%: 22% v 42%...UAF +9 made....
FT%: 67% v 68%...UAF made 3 more than SBs shot...
Rebs: 10-25/35 v 6-32/38
TOs: 17 v 11...UAF +13 POTO

Interesting that UAF was only +3 bench points....Lucy Ibeh was 17/9 on 7-15 FGs and 3-4 FTs...and a steal and only two TOs...Hannah Langhi added 8/2 on 3-6 FGs......even against an SEC team need to shoot better than 29% and only get to the line 12x....

Next game vs UAPB at FC on Tuesday at 1pm.....Go SugarBears!!

Women's Basketball Falls to Razorbacks on Saturday

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – It was a tough day on the road for the Central Arkansas women's basketball team. Despite remaining within striking distance through the first half, the offense sputtered out in the second, leading to an 82-44 loss to Arkansas.

Lucy Ibeh came a rebound shy of notching her fifth double-double of the season, finishing with 17 points and nine rebounds to lead the way for the Sugar Bears. Hannah Langhi added eight points, including a pair of three-pointers.

Central Arkansas kept things close in the first quarter, even taking the lead early on. After opening the game with a pair of free throws from Ibeh, the Lagos, Nigeria native picked a Razorback's pocket and took it coast-to-coast to give Central Arkansas a 4-0 lead to open play. Ibeh would score eight points in the quarter, helping the Sugar Bears stay within six points of Arkansas after the first quarter.

Even into the second quarter, shots were falling for Central Arkansas, allowing the Sugar Bears to stay within punching distance of the hosting Razorbacks. Langhi took over offensively in the period, scoring all eight of her points in the period. The Hardin, Ky., native knocked down a pair of three-pointers in the second, cutting the lead to seven points. Central Arkansas trailed 42-29 at the break.

The Central Arkansas offense struggled to get going out of halftime, allowing Arkansas to stretch the lead into double-digits and beyond. Ibeh scored seven of the Sugar Bears' 11 points in the fourth quarter, bringing her total to a game-high 17 on a layup with 4:30 left in the game.

Looking ahead, the Sugar Bears return home for their third game in six days as the team hosts Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Tuesday before breaking for the holiday. Tip-off against the Lady Lions is set for 1 p.m. at the Farris Center.