It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting to Know Your Sugar Bears...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:15 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

from the Echo...

http://www.ucaecho.net/stories/index.php?id=878

Bears at Play: Alex Velazquez

By Kaycie Surrell
Staff Writer
Published: November 28, 2007

People may not realize the stress of balancing athletics with academics but for a UCA athlete like senior Alex Velazquez, a player for the UCA women’s basketball, its all part of the package that comes with playing in college.

Before attending college, Velazquez was named to the All City team in El Paso, Texas, for four years and earned All State honors as a senior in high school. She was also named district and city MVP.

Velazquez has been playing for the Sugar Bears for the past two years after attending South Plains Junior College. She was scouted by universities like Harding and America University...

This week's edition featured LB, so hopefully they will put that online too at some point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
She has an 18-hour load to carry, along with basketball practice six days a week.

This is what is meant by student-athlete.

GoSugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:45 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucaecho.net/stories/index.php?id=903

Bears at Play: Laura Beth Anderson

By Amber Populis
Staff Writer
Published: December 5, 2007

Laura Beth Anderson, freshman member of the girl's basketball team, began playing ball when she was in the second grade.

"My older sister played basketball, and I would always go and watch her at practice and games, and I really wanted to play. Once I reached the second grade I was finally old enough to play and I loved it," Anderson said.

She plays the position of point guard, which was the same position she played in high school...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:12 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
"We work extremely hard and expect to win, so if you want to be apart of a winning team come to UCA."

Could not agree more....

GoSugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Questions With Laura Beth Anderson is this week's profile. In this she answers some of your concerns about the turnovers, what it's like playing at another level and other things, and some of the other concerns you guys have had for this ballclub so far in the early season, especially with such a young group. I think you all will enjoy this...

http://www.ucasports.com/questionswith.asp?qw=19

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Pretty mature responses for a freshman.....gotta love the spirit of a freshman!!!

GoSugarBears!!

Quote:
You've got a couple trips to Top 25 teams in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State coming up. You looking forward to that experience?Oh I can't wait. I think you have to play the best to be the best. And, I want to play in that atmosphere. I've heard that OU sells out their women's games more than their men's games, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to play in front of a huge crowd. I think it'll be fun. And one of my best friends – Jenny Vining, who I played AAU with forever – plays for OU. I'm looking forward to seeing her and playing against her. It's going to be two tough games, but I look forward to playing in that environment. Hopefully we'll play up to our competition and have a good game. There have been games where we've played down to them, so hopefully we can play well. Getting a win would be a major turning point for our season, but I think it would be nice to even go and play them close.