It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coach Daniel Meet and Greet Friday Feb 1...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:17 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=5&article=2287

DANIEL TO BE INTRODUCED ON FRIDAY
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL • Jan 30, 2008

CONWAY, Ark _ New University of Central Arkansas women's basketball coach Matt Daniel will be introduced at a Friday Meet-and-Greet news conference at 2 p.m. in the Hall of Fame Room at Estes Stadium.

Daniel, a native of Jonesboro who played collegiately at the University of Colorado and Harding University, comes to UCA from a women's assistant coach and recruiting coordinator position at the University of Missouri, where he has been since 2005...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Any chance old friend Chauncy Billups might show up on way to next Pistons game in Dallas? I heard that Matt and Chauncy are very good fiiends. My source says Matt is the real deal as a coach and has great contacts for recruiting and spreading the word about UCA....

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:27 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I believed they roomed together at Colorado.

His last two classes at Missouri were ranked 25th and 26th nationally, so it would stand to reason that he's got pretty good contacts, a good eye for talent, and the ability to convince players and parents that where he's at is where they need to be.

One great advantage I see, is that having grown up in Arkansas and having a father who coached, and having coached in the state himself on the high school level – he knows the state pretty well. But at the same time, he's been in Big 12 country in two totally different areas. So he knows people in and around Missouri, and in and around Colorado. Plus, he did a little time down in Texas. So while there's no knowing how far-reaching and deep his connections are, there's at least some sort of foundation there for him to have a pretty good idea of what's going on, or know people who do, in a lot of places.

I guess for those who like to keep their heads out of the clouds and want something for balance – I'd say that he's never been a collegiate head coach could be seen as somewhat worrisome. But, that's where it's important to surround yourself with good assistants that'll make your life easier while you acclimate yourself to whatever increased responsibilities you find yourself with.

And, he's been a head coach before, albeit at the high school level, so he's familiar first-hand with the things a head coach needs to do as far as off-court dealings and delegation and things of the like.

In a nutshell, I see far more upside than downside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

Has to recruit Arkansas and Texas first in women's basketball in my opinion.

I would bet he will look some to Oklahoma and Missouri for some "selective" recruiting and then branch out into Louisiana and Mississippi later.

He can do just fine at UCA and in the SLC with Arkansas and Texas recruits primarily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:12 pm 
UserName Retired

Hey, the Sugar Bears are undefeated since hiring Coach Daniel and he hasn't even stepped out on the floor yet. Go figure!

A big thanks to Ron Marvel for what he has done and will do for the rest of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:51 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I thought it was an outstanding turnout on hand yesterday. I think all the major media outlets, TV, included had cameras there and ran something on the hire on each of their sportscasts last night.

Cant wait for today! Going for number 3 in a row vs Nicholls!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:15 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/020208/spo_0202080023.shtml

New Sugar Bear coach passionate at meet-and-greet

By DAVID MCCOLLUM
LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER

During the first minute Friday at the podium during his first news conference as University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bear coach, Matt Daniel began tearing up, his voice choking as he introduced his family to a full room of supporters.

He paused and choked up at least twice more during his first 15 minutes before core supporters at the Hall of Fame Room at Estes Stadium.

It didn't take long to figure out that playing with a lot of emotion will be a cornerstone of his program...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:16 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/020208/spo_0202080024.shtml

Excitement reigns as new era dawns

By MARK BURKE
LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER

Only time will tell how successful newly-introduced University of Central Arkansas women's basketball coach Matt Daniel will be, but there's already a strong sense of optimism.

Daniel comes to UCA after a short stint as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at the University of Missouri, where he's been since 2005. But UCA president Lu Hardin said the better fit was with the Sugar Bears.

"We've got the right person," Hardin said...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:17 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/020208/spo_0202080033.shtml

Matt Daniel grew into coaching as a 'gym baby'

Matt Daniel was weaned on basketball at Weiner.

His father, current Jonesboro High girls coach David Daniel, began his career as boys basketball coach at Weiner High School in 1976.

"Matt had the best babysitter in the world the gym," said the father about how his son seemed destined to be a basketball coach from spending many of his formative days in that tiny gymnasium in that northeast Arkansas rice-farming community. "He grew up in a gym, watching games and players and practices. I knew for a long time he wanted to coach."

Matt Daniel, 31, was introduced as the new University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bear coach Friday. A former boys coach at Pulaski Academy, Daniel had previously served as an assistant at the University of Colorado and the University of Missouri and had developed a national reputation as a strong recruiter and respected young coach...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:19 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

there's also some video of the presser here:

http://www.thecabin.net/video/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:20 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://nwanews.com/adg/Sports/215525/

UCA has new coach in waiting
BY NICK WALKER

Posted on Saturday, February 2, 2008

CONWAY — Central Arkansas was looking for a change.

It got an emotional one Friday when former Jonesboro Hurricane and Harding Bisons player Matt Daniel was formally introduced as the head coach of the Sugar Bears basketball team.

“I’m excited to be back in my home state of Arkansas,” Daniel said, holding back tears at the news conference in Central Arkansas’ Hall of Fame Room at Estes Stadium. “I tell you what, if you can’t tell from this conference — we’re going to do everything with a lot of emotion.” Daniel said other changes are also in store...

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
there's also some video of the presser here:

http://www.thecabin.net/video/

Thanks for posting the link. ALL UCA fans who have not seen this should watch.....this leaves no doubt of where Lu plans to take UCA athletics...

GoSugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:37 pm 
UserName Retired

Looks like a GREAT Hire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:45 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

here is the interview I did with Coach Daniel at halftime of the Nicholls St. game Saturday night if any of you are interested in listening to it. This is a link, but the interview runs roughly 7:17...

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=849632849.wma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:45 am 
Practice Squad

He is such a likable and passionate guy! I am uber-excited!! Welcome Coach Daniel!