It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:40 pm 
Practice Squad

Someone commented about the postgame interview... what was that about?

Let's just say that Kia is not very polished when it comes to postgame interviews. If I had to choose one word, it would have to be "trainwreck." [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:09 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah, it was bad. Although she did manage to say the words "I'm Speechless" at one point. So I ran with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

speaking of Kia, despite her average of 26 points and 11.5 rebounds while shooting 58 percent from the floor and 52.4 percent on 3-pointers (11 of 21), to go along with two assists per game, 1.5 steals per, and only three turnovers in 63 minutes – she didn't do enough to impress the league SIDs enough to win the SLC Player of the Week.

Joyce Ekowormadu from Texas State, with her 21.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3 apg and 2 spg, on 51.6 percent shooting and 42.9 (6 of 14) percent on 3-pointers, took the award this week.

I guess the difference is that Texas State won twice, over Lamar and McNeese, while the Sugar Bears dropped a game and beat lowly Sam Houston. That's the only conclusion I can draw that makes any sense. (Unless they dock points for interview performance.)

Maybe if she can step her performance up a notch or two this week and the Sugar Bears can sweep Lamar and McNeese, she'll have a fighting chance.

Regardless, heck of a week for Kia. I fully expect her to keep that up every game over the next three seasons and five games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:34 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

wow :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:41 pm 
Practice Squad

The SLC has a love affair with the studs from the Western Division in basketball. Everyone better get used to our players being the "also-ran" when someone from TSU, UTSA, or UTA has a good week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:42 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

at least they were sweet enough to give her an honorable mention pick...I think LB has 1 or 2 this season, and now Kia has 1, that's the ones I know about....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:27 pm 
Two-Time All-American

All that counts is Kia did it on the court when needed......besides, as to the interview, she is a freshman...after she takes speech as a soph she will be more polished...just needs to practice.....put in 20+ every game and she will have more opps....glad to see her get in a groove last week....

GoSugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:17 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/021908/spo_0219080025.shtml

...SUGAR BEARS

The Sugar Bears went 1-1 last week, falling 82-65 to a second-half charge by SFA, then defeating Sam Houston State, 87-69, to stretch the Lady Bearkats losing streak to 23 straight.

"SFA's experience kind of came into play in the second half," said UCA assistant Tiffany Phillips, subbing for interim coach Ron Marvel. "No. 23 (Nikki Carr) is a real good player and her experience took over the second half.

"The exciting thing for us against Sam Houston is we scored 87 points, the most we have all year. It's a lot more fun scoring 87 than having 87 scored against you. It made a long bus ride home a lot more fun except we went through a lot of tornado warnings Saturday night on the way home."

The Sugar Bears (6-18) host Lamar on Thursday night and McNeese State on Saturday night.

"One good thing is when Sam Houston State cut our lead to three, we responded and built the lead back up," Phillips said. "It most encouraging to see us respond to a run. Lamar had two starters out when we played them before and will be a lot tougher this time. McNeese State has some good shooters and are playing very well right now."

SALES: In order to raise money to help buy a gift card for Allyson Sample's grandparents, whose home in Highland was recently destroyed by a tornado, the Sugar Bears will be selling flip-flops for $10 each at the home games this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:

SALES: In order to raise money to help buy a gift card for Allyson Sample's grandparents, whose home in Highland was recently destroyed by a tornado, the Sugar Bears will be selling flip-flops for $10 each at the home games this week.

Is this an NCAA violation? ASU was told it could not raise money for one of their players that fell down an elevator shaft. Pretty stupid but that is how the NCAA rolls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I dont know? All I know is that everyone seemed ok with it yesterday, from the Administration to those in attendance at Bear Backers...

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:28 am 
UserName Retired

UCAMonkey wrote:
Bear Fan 101 wrote:

Is this an NCAA violation? ASU was told it could not raise money for one of their players that fell down an elevator shaft. Pretty stupid but that is how the NCAA rolls.

I don't see how it could be because the university doesn't really have anything to do with it do they? I mean the girls probably had the flip-flops made up themselves and they are selling them themselves...but you never know the NCAA..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

joshuca wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:
Bear Fan 101 wrote:

I don't see how it could be because the university doesn't really have anything to do with it do they? I mean the girls probably had the flip-flops made up themselves and they are selling them themselves...but you never know the NCAA..

The NCAA may see it as giving special privelages to an individual player's family. Regardless of the circumstances they are pretty stern on the issue. Somebody in administration may want to look it up so the Nazi's don't come barnstorming our women's program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

If it makes sense, then the NCAA will have an issue. Dot the i's and cross the t's....

GoSugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:22 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

ucafan1907 wrote:
All that counts is Kia did it on the court when needed......besides, as to the interview, she is a freshman...after she takes speech as a soph she will be more polished...just needs to practice.....put in 20+ every game and she will have more opps....glad to see her get in a groove last week....

GoSugarBears!!

Maybe on her Sr. night we might have her back on...maybe...but not anytime soon. But as long as she continues to play on both sides of the floor, I can handle the tradeoff! :D