It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Megan Herbert
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:57 am 
UserName Retired

Megan Herbert

4A GIRLS

HOT SPRINGS -- To say Megan Herbert was dominating in the 4A girls title game would be an understatement.

The 5-foot-11 University of Central Arkansas signee scored 26 points, grabbed 11 rebounds as her Shiloh Christian Sains held off Lonoke, 51-45, at Hot Springs' Summit Arena.

Shiloh Christian (34-1) led by as much as 10 in the first half as Lonoke (26-8) struggled from the field shooting 21.1 percent from the field of 4 of 19 from the field.

Last edited by joshuca on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 am 
UserName Retired

I was just reading this and thinking two things:
1.) Phillip [intentional] would have received an F in beginning reporting - it's Herbert, not Hebert.
2.) Megan sounds like she can be a pretty big piece of next year's puzzle.

Herbert, Lady Saints Finish With Title
Tons of good stuff in this story.
Quote:
After that, Herbert, who had 12 points in the first half but was held scoreless in the third quarter, simply took the game over. The senior scored 10 of Shiloh's final 15 points, hitting seven free throws in the closing minutes to secure the win.

"When it gets to the fourth quarter, there are certain players that come through," Rimmer said. "When it comes to the fourth quarter, and Megan Herbert sees it's close, she wants the basketball. . .

Herbert finishes her career with 2,954 points (22 per game) and 1,248 rebounds (9.3).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:43 am 
UserName Retired

Fixed it for him! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:54 am 
UserName Retired

Wait is over for Shiloh
Quote:
she missed three free throws. She normally doesn't do that.

------------------------

STORIES FROM EARLIER IN THE WEEK

Forgetting Marshall
Quote:
Herbert, a University of Central Arkansas signee, had 39 points and 21 rebounds in Shiloh's semifinal win on Saturday. She scored 33 points in the loss to Marshall two seasons ago, despite being sick for much of the week, but she was held to six points in the loss last season.

Time to finish the job

Shiloh Christian vs. Lonoke
Quote:
Lonoke won a state title in 1977, when Arkansas' girls teams still played 3-on-3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:27 am 
UserName Retired

Undoubtably Coach Daniels might just know what he is doing. :wink: Congratulations to him and Megan. I hope this is the start of a beautiful relationship - not to mention a winning program once again.

ALL-ARKANSAS GIRLS BASKETBALL TEAM
Comfort zone

Game, court therapeutic for Herbert

BY MARTY COOK ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

SPRINGDALE — Basketball has been a lot of things for Megan Herbert.
It has become a comfort for her since her dad died when she was 6 years old. It was a place to fit in as an awkward freshman suddenly dropped in a new school with new teammates.
Above all, basketball was Megan Herbert’s place to go to win. And, if possible, win big.
No one did it better this year than Herbert, a 5-11 senior forward. She led Shiloh Christian to the Class 4A state championship, averaging 25.5 points and 10.9 rebounds a game.
For her year-long dominance, Herbert is the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette’s Miss Basketball 2009.
Individual honors have never meant too much to Herbert. She said she didn’t realize the plaque she received after the state championship game was for being the tournament’s MVP until she read it about a week later.
“This is really exciting because I worked really hard for it,” said Herbert, who will play at Central Arkansas next year. “It’s a really big honor, and I really am blessed to get it. A lot of girls would kill to get it.”
What Herbert thrives on is winning, a trait she inherited from her father, Bob Herbert, the 1990 state cycling champion. Bob Herbert and girlfriend Shelly Carlisle died on May 17, 1997, when a motorist ran into them on Parsons Road in Springdale while they were on a bicycle ride. Bob Herbert was 39.
The driver was later convicted of two misdemeanor counts of negligent homicide.
Herbert doesn’t have many memories of her dad, vague recollections of bike rides and him teaching her to shoot baskets. She and her older sister, Taylor, had been at their father’s house when Bob Herbert and his girlfriend told the children they were going out for a onehour ride.
“I know he’s proud of me,” Herbert said. “He’s looking down on me and watching me, and all I can do is let him know about it, try to remember him by it. Basketball is kind of a way of remembering him. “I think that’s why I love it so much, why it comforts me so much to play it.”
Herbert’s mother, Lisa Wakefield, sent her daughter to play in the Bentonville recreational league after the accident. Herbert didn’t like the game at first, and her vivid memory is the teasing she got for attempting a granny shot during tryouts.
The competition and camaraderie of the game soon turned Herbert into a basketball junkie.
“Every time I have something go wrong in my life or I have a hard time, I’ll just go out and play by myself,” Herbert said. “It’s a distraction, and I love it.”
Wakefield warns against playing Monopoly — any game really — against her daughter unless you are really interested in combat. There are no fun games with her.
“Her dad was very competitive, and she is, too,” Wakefield said. “She is something.”
Wakefield and her husband, Mike, built Herbert a half-court basketball court in fourth grade so she could have a place to shoot at home. The two unwisely decided to play their prodigy in what they thought would be a friendly 2-on-1 game.
It was not friendly.
“She killed us,” Wakefield said. “That year, she would live on the basketball court. We always told her, ‘When you’re on the court, the ball is yours.’ You can tell how she rips the ball from the other girls.”
Shiloh Christian Coach Vic Rimmer said Herbert undergoes a transformation when she steps on the basketball court. Most of the time, Rimmer said, Herbert is a regular giddy teenage girl, but on the court, she becomes a beast.
“She will not handle losing,” Rimmer said. “It’s her I-wantto-win attitude. That’s what separates her from the other very good athletes, that killer instinct.”
Herbert transferred from Bentonville’s school district to Shiloh Christian the summer before her ninth-grade year. Herbert did not want to make the move and leave her friends, and that awkwardness was soon compounded when Rimmer promoted Herbert to the varsity team two weeks after she arrived at her new school.
By the time the season began, Herbert was starting. In her four-year career, the Lady Saints were 119-15 with two title-game appearances and one championship.
“I had no clue she would even start as a freshman, but she has been way more than anyone could imagine,” Rimmer said. “It’ll be very hard for me in the future to compare players to Megan. Is this player good, or is she Megan Herbert good?”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Matt has a very fine class of signees.......a uaf fan who follows Shiloh told me he was sickened to hear that Herbert signed with UCA.....another NWA player of that caliber is junior Morgan Hook of Rogers who has verbally committed to Oklahoma....she would be a nice point guard addition...never know what might happen with her next year......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:12 pm 
Practice Squad

BearsFan52 wrote:
Matt has a very fine class of signees.......a uaf fan who follows Shiloh told me he was sickened to hear that Herbert signed with UCA.....another NWA player of that caliber is junior Morgan Hook of Rogers who has verbally committed to Oklahoma....she would be a nice point guard addition...never know what might happen with her next year......
I don't know how UCA ended up with some of the players they signed but, they appear to be a fine class. HErbert reminds me just by looks of Shyla Tucker who was one of the best players we've had. If she's plays like her you guys will get to tournament before we do. Must be that Davie girl you have as an assistant. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:21 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=5&article=3109

SUGAR BEAR SIGNEE HERBERT NAMED STATE'S TOP PLAYER
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL • Apr 24, 2009

University of Central Arkansas women's basketball signee Megan Herbert was named Miss Basketball 2009 by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on Friday...

Another member of the Sugar Bears' signing class, Westin Taylor of Valley Springs, was named to the All-Arkansas First Team. She joins seniors Micah Rice of Little Rock Parkview and Jordan Madden (a Baylor signee) of East Poinsett County, and juniors Christassia Walter of Texarkana and Morgan Hook of Rogers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm 
Practice Squad

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=5&article=3109

SUGAR BEAR SIGNEE HERBERT NAMED STATE'S TOP PLAYER
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL • Apr 24, 2009

University of Central Arkansas women's basketball signee Megan Herbert was named Miss Basketball 2009 by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on Friday...

Another member of the Sugar Bears' signing class, Westin Taylor of Valley Springs, was named to the All-Arkansas First Team. She joins seniors Micah Rice of Little Rock Parkview and Jordan Madden (a Baylor signee) of East Poinsett County, and juniors Christassia Walter of Texarkana and Morgan Hook of Rogers...

The only thing I've heard negative about Herbert is that she probably wasn't quick enough to play in the Sunbelt or above because she would have to play at guard but, time will tell on that. From a personal standpoint congrats to her for being Miss Basketball but, I doubt very seriously she is a better player than Madden but, if she is you really got yourself quite a player. If that is the case and the other top player you got is as good as you guys say she is then you guys will be playing in the tournament. It does sound like she will be well suited in Southland. Best of luck to UCA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:49 am 
UserName Retired

High School All-Stars: West Girls Roll to 80-65 Victory Over East

Shiloh Christian's Megan Herbert was named the game's MVP. Herbert led all scorers with 15 points...
Four different West players scored in the second period. Herbert added five points and four rebounds and converted a three-point play to make it 24-20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:30 pm 
Team Captain

The first time I met Matt Daniel, I could not help but be really impressed with him. My oldest son was going thru a really hard time, having lost his coach after two state championship seasons. Matt put his imprint on several of those young men in his only season not in college basketball. I promise you this man can recruit, and he can coach, and he can do the x's and o's. If this young lady is the kind of player I think/hope she is and coach can identify a little help, we will be much better next year. If any of you know him ask him about the "rock a bye baby" and who put it on him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

old bear wrote:
. If this young lady is the kind of player I think/hope she is and coach can identify a little help, we will be much better next year.

I think he's identified some help in this class alone. Never seen Britney Gowans play, but you don't get to be considered one of the Top 15 players in Texas or one of the Top 40 in the nation at your position without being able to do a little something out there.

Even if none of the other seven members of this class ever do a thing (though I highly doubt that being the case. I think there are a couple other building blocks coming in with this group), those two alone should be a big step in the right direction.

Quote:
If any of you know him ask him about the "rock a bye baby" and who put it on him.

Is this a dirty story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:17 pm 
Team Captain

Absolutely not! We were at a team camp with Pulaski Academy at St. Louis University. The Bilikens were recruiting my oldest son that ended up at UALR. We had an 8:00 am game, Coach Daniel had on his flip flops and he challenged me to a game of one on one. I thrashed him unmercifully and the game winning basket was an execution of my patented move, "the rock a bye baby" a move across the lane with the left hand and you "cradle" the ball before softly flipping it over the front of the rim.