It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:20 pm 
Practice Squad

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
BigD wrote:
...I know we recruited her and she once again decided to try the bigger name school. I am surprised she went to UCA but,...

I know anything I say is going to look like I'm trying to start something, which I really am not, but I am curious on to why you would feel you are surprised she came to UCA? Is it because of our lack of success the last 3 seasons, or because we are new to D1, or some other factor I am overlooking.

Quote:
it appears you guys may have a recruiting class that I would be proud to have.

I sure hope this is the class that begins the turnaround of Sugar Bear basketball, it does look like it on paper, now we have to hope they can prove it on the court!
Because she is better than the Southland Conference in my opinion. It's no different than if we get someone that was being offered by a Tennessee or someone like that. Most people would say why would she come to Arkansas State. The Sunbelt is a much better conference and I just feel like Stewart would do good in our conference. Now having said that I would be very very surprised if she wasn't one of the top players in your league. I know whe hurt her knee her freshman season but, I don't think she ever had surgery on it and if she is 100% she will be fun to watch. Good Luck with her. I think she is your best signee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:53 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

works for me. In two years we could be really good IF everyone stays healthy, stays in school and is eligible, and develops the way I hope they do! Only time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm 
UserName Retired

Great addition to an already really good class!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:31 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Ditto...looks like a very solid signing class......these ladies may be the first team from UCA to make a NCAA tourney...long way to go but there is potential.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm 
UserName Retired

BearsFan52 wrote:
Ditto...looks like a very solid signing class......these ladies may be the first team from UCA to make a NCAA tourney...long way to go but there is potential.....

In women's basketball....you are probably right :lol: , but I am betting on Football or Volleyball to be one of the first to make it to an NCAA Tourney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm 
UserName Retired

Add another one:
PARKVIEW GUARD RICE BRINGS SUGAR BEAR CLASS TO NINE

CONWAY — The University of Central Arkansas women's basketball program added its ninth signee for its 2009 class on Thursday, as Little Rock Parkview's Micah Rice signed on with the Sugar Bears.

Rice, a 5-foot-8 point guard, averaged 20 points, six rebounds, four assists and four steals per game this season while leading her team to a 21-5 record.

2009 Central Arkansas Women's Basketball Signing Class

– Brea Banks, F, 5-11, Jr., West Memphis / Moberly (Mo.) Area Community College
– Jasmine Curtis, F/C, 5-11, Fr., Camden / Camden Fairview HS
– Britney Gowans, G, 5-11, Fr., Dallas / Lincoln HS
– Megan Herbert, F, 5-11, Fr., Springdale / Shiloh Christian HS
– Chantel Moss, C, 6-2, Fr., Coolidge, Ariz. / Coolidge HS
– Micah Rice, G, 5-8, Fr., Little Rock / Parkview HS
– Desiree Rogers, F, 5-11, Fr., Camden / Camden Fairview HS
– *Sidney Stewart, G, 5-10, Jr., Damascus / Louisiana Tech
– Westin Taylor, G, 5-10, Fr., Valley Springs / Valley Springs HS

* – Must sit out 2009-10 season

Rice, who helped take Parkview to a state championship as a sophomore, was a member of the All-Arkansas First Team this season as selected by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. UCA signee Megan Herbert of Shiloh Christian was named Miss Basketball, and fellow incoming Sugar Bear Westin Taylor was also named to the first team – giving UCA three of the four seniors selected among that group. The other, Jordan Madden of East Poinsett County, will attend Baylor – which finished No. 6 in the nation while going 29-6 and advancing to the Sweet 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:59 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Neither football nor vollleyball would surprise me but they have much better caliber competition that women's basketball...SLC is not very strong in that regard but getting better....be nice for all three to get there.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:05 pm 
UserName Retired

BearsFan52 wrote:
Neither football nor vollleyball would surprise me but they have much better caliber competition that women's basketball...SLC is not very strong in that regard but getting better....be nice for all three to get there.....

Very True!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:20 am 
UserName Retired

From the ADG about Miss Rice:

LINK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:16 am 
UserName Retired

You have to log in to view that link...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:18 pm 
UserName Retired

Sorry. The ADG has changed things on their online paper. Will probably take me six months to figure out how to post and paste again. :roll:

Here ya go:

UCA lands Parkview’s Rice BY SHON MCPEACE ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Central Arkansas Sugar Bears Coach Matt Daniel continues to add players with winning resumes to his team. The latest addition comes with Thursday’s signing of first-team all-state guard Micah Rice of Little Rock Parkview.
Rice is the newest member of a recruiting class of nine. Among those nine are eight state championship winners, two first-team all-state selections and this year’s Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Miss Basketball.
Rice, 5-6, a three-time all-state selection, averaged 21 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.3 steals per game as a senior.
“I feel that my versatility as a player and willingness to do whatever it takes to help my team win will allow me to contribute right away,” Rice said.
Rice selected UCA over Arkansas State, South Alabama and Davidson College. Rice helped lead the Lady Patriots to the state tournament all four years of her high school career, including the 2007 state championship as a sophomore.
“It’s been a privilege and honor to have coached Micah the last four years,” Parkview Coach LaHoma Howard said. “She’s worked very hard to get herself ready to compete at the next level.”
Daniel’s recruiting class also includes early signees Brea Banks, a 5-11 forward from West Memphis who played at Moberly Area Community College in Missouri; Megan Herbert, a 5-11 forward from Shiloh Christian who was named the Democrat-Gazette’s Miss Basketball; Chantel Moss, a 6-2 center from Coolidge, Ariz., and Valley Springs 5-10 guard Westin Taylor. Other signees are Jasmine Curtis, a 5-11 forward/ center, and Desiree Rogers, a 5-11 forward, both from Camden Fairview; Britney Gowans, a 5-11 guard from of Dallas/Lincoln High School; and Sidney Stewart, a 5-10 guard from Conway who played last season at Louisiana Tech. Stewart will have to sit out the 2009-2010 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 pm 
Practice Squad

Honey Bear wrote:
Sorry. The ADG has changed things on their online paper. Will probably take me six months to figure out how to post and paste again. :roll:

Here ya go:

Central Arkansas Sugar Bears Coach Matt Daniel continues to add players with winning resumes to his team. The latest addition comes with Thursday’s signing of first-team all-state guard Micah Rice of Little Rock Parkview.
Rice is the newest member of a recruiting class of nine. Among those nine are eight state championship winners, two first-team all-state selections and this year’s Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Miss Basketball.
Rice, 5-6, a three-time all-state selection, averaged 21 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.3 steals per game as a senior.
“I feel that my versatility as a player and willingness to do whatever it takes to help my team win will allow me to contribute right away,” Rice said.
Rice selected UCA over Arkansas State, South Alabama and Davidson College. Rice helped lead the Lady Patriots to the state tournament all four years of her high school career, including the 2007 state championship as a sophomore.
“It’s been a privilege and honor to have coached Micah the last four years,” Parkview Coach LaHoma Howard said. “She’s worked very hard to get herself ready to compete at the next level.”
Daniel’s recruiting class also includes early signees Brea Banks, a 5-11 forward from West Memphis who played at Moberly Area Community College in Missouri; Megan Herbert, a 5-11 forward from Shiloh Christian who was named the Democrat-Gazette’s Miss Basketball; Chantel Moss, a 6-2 center from Coolidge, Ariz., and Valley Springs 5-10 guard Westin Taylor. Other signees are Jasmine Curtis, a 5-11 forward/ center, and Desiree Rogers, a 5-11 forward, both from Camden Fairview; Britney Gowans, a 5-11 guard from of Dallas/Lincoln High School; and Sidney Stewart, a 5-10 guard from Conway who played last season at Louisiana Tech. Stewart will have to sit out the 2009-2010 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

I don't know how matt rotates players in the game but, with that many new players next season he will lose a minimum of at least three players next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 pm 
Practice Squad

Honey Bear wrote:

Here ya go:

Rice was never offered by ASU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BigD wrote:
Honey Bear wrote:

Here ya go:

Rice was never offered by ASU.

Ok then.