It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Student Promotions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:44 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA introduces nine student promotions

Quote:

Beginning with Monday night’s game against Tennessee Tech, the University of Central Arkansas will feature nine student-focused and student-generated promotions for basketball games at the Farris Center.

The nine games, selected for emphasis by various student organizations on campus, are classified as “Throwdown Games.” That is derived from the term throwdown is a term used both for a party and a slam dunk.

The emphasis will be on having as many students as possible during those nine games. Three will be this week, including Monday’s men’s game against Tennessee Tech, Wednesday’s women’s game against Eccelsia and Saturday’s men’s game against Western Illinois.

Those games will feature a disc jockey, “DJ One Eye,” instead of a band and various games aimed at students. The players will be introduced with a smoke machine, strobes and new music.

The Farris Center has also been transformed this year to make it a more intimate, basketball-type setting. A large black vinyl sheet will block off the upper level on both sides of the court reducing the capacity from 5,004 seats to 1,800 seats. The three “Throwdown Games” this week will be the only ones this semester aimed at the students. The six Wednesday night games during the second semester will be the other featured games.

My only question on this is why did they pick the Ecclesia game for the women? Why not the Tulsa, SEMO or Jackson St game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:57 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I can only guess since I havent talked to anyone in ath. dept., but to me you piggy-back the promos with what was done last night at the men's game. Plus your job is to draw a crowd. People have at least heard of Tulsa, SEMO, and even Jackson St to an extent. No one has heard of Ecclesia for the most part, so its a way to try to draw to a game where the crowd might be lacking because of a no-name opponent. Plus, the EC game is the 1st home game of the season for the SBs, that might be another reason why, too. I really have no idea, just throwing that out there.

Post subject: Re: Student Promotions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

joshuca wrote:
My only question on this is why did they pick the Ecclesia game for the women? Why not the Tulsa, SEMO or Jackson St game?

I would guess the SEMO game wasn't included because it's on December 19, when students aren't really around. Sort of pointless to have a student promotion when they're all off at home for the holidays. Seems like a fairly simple conclusion to draw.

Tulsa, of any of the games, would be most likely to draw on its own based on the opponent. If you've only got the resources to do a certain number of games, no need wasting it on a game more likely draw a crowd on its own merit.

I think BF101 hit on some fine points as well.

Of course you might get better answers by actually asking the people who make those decisions instead of on this message board. Just go straight to the source if you actually want to know the answer.

Post subject: Re: Student Promotions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:37 pm 
UserName Retired

Beary Manilow wrote:
joshuca wrote:

I would guess the SEMO game wasn't included because it's on December 19, when students aren't really around. Sort of pointless to have a student promotion when they're all off at home for the holidays. Seems like a fairly simple conclusion to draw.

Tulsa, of any of the games, would be most likely to draw on its own based on the opponent. If you've only got the resources to do a certain number of games, no need wasting it on a game more likely draw a crowd on its own merit.

I think BF101 hit on some fine points as well.

Of course you might get better answers by actually asking the people who make those decisions instead of on this message board. Just go straight to the source if you actually want to know the answer.

I guess I didn't even consider the dates of the games... :oops: I'm really just trying to strike up conversation.
I guess I should just be glad that something is being done at least!